Turn based rpg

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by frozensolid, Sep 3, 2012.

1. frozensolid

frozensolid Active Member

May 10, 2012
    #1 frozensolid, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
    Im looking for a good rpg app, something that is free. If there arnt many good free ones, what is the best paid one? Im thinking about getting final fantasy 1

2. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #2 violentv, Sep 3, 2012
    I can't think of any free ones!

Turn based strategy
    The war of eustrath
    Ravenmark
    Spectral Souls
    FFT

Turn based rpg
    Chaos Rings franchise
    final fantasy dimensions
    Kemco JRPGs(pretty bland and watered down JRPG games but still trumps most of the wannabe JRPGs in the appstore by quite a bit)
    If you are desperate enough you can try Eternal Legacy.

3. frozensolid

May 10, 2012
    Im looking for something like pokemon, so i think FF1woul be best.. I kinda liked dimentions, but not the action bar that fills. Also it was too much $.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #4 Exact-Psience, Sep 3, 2012
    For your question, a good free turn-based RPG right now is Tunnel Trail. Another good one, albeit just-turned-freemium, is Rune Raiders. Not sure if Dungeon Crawlers is still free, but you can check it out. The last 2 are strategy-RPGs though, similar to FFTactics.

As for paid ones, you cant go wrong with the big 4 in roguelikes: 100 Rogues, Fargoal, Cardinal Quest and Legends of Yore. Some good stuff you caninvest on are Final Fantasy titles (FF: Dimensions was recently just released), then there's Battleloot Adventures, Saturday Morning RPG, Cthulhu Saves The World, Crimson Gem Saga, Eternal Legacy and the trio of Chaos Rings titles.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Looks like you made 2 threads... But here's my reply to the other one.

6. frozensolid

May 10, 2012
    Thanks! I saw a game called elven chronicles, it looks like what im lookin for. Can anyone vouch for this game?

7. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I haven't played that one, but if that's the type of game you're looking for, you might also be interested in checking out Ash, Ash II, Dragon Fantasy, and Guardian Saga, (as well as all the iOS FF games of course), all of which I enjoyed. Maybe check out Adventure Bar Story too, it wasn't really up my alley, but a lot of people like it.

Edit: oh and Cthulu Saves the World, mentioned in a previous post, would also probably be your type of game.

8. picohero

picohero Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Elvin Chronicles is okay, I enjoyed it. I reccomend Dawn of Magic. The graphics aren't amazing, but it's pretty good. I believe Dawn of Magic is free.

9. picohero

Jul 16, 2012
    Dragon island blue is like Pokemon, it's super addictive and on sale for a dollar.

10. frozensolid

May 10, 2012
    Great these are perfect thanks!

11. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    #11 SkyMuffin, Sep 3, 2012
    Dungeons of Dredmor should be out on iPad later this year if you are into roguelikes.

Puzzle Quest 2, Wolfenstein RPG, Doom 2 RPG, Undercroft, Mecho Wars, Everlands, Lost Star Tactics, Tactical Warrior, Trouble in Tin Town. Rogue Ninja is decent but not as good of a roguelike as the other four mentioned above. Minotaur Maze is similar in scope to Rogue Ninja. Powder is good but it is a bit weighty if you don't want to dedicate a lot of time to learning it.

12. picohero

Jul 16, 2012
    Fall of Angels has a fantastic story with good turnbased action an great exploration. Totally recommended!

13. frozensolid

May 10, 2012
    Im also seeing if someone thinks Final fantasy one is the best one out there, im willing to buy it if people really think it is one of the best and or is really worth $8

14. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Well, it's a tricky question really. Personally, having grown up playing the early FF games, it is a classic to me and easily worth the price. For someone who doesn't have any nostalgic feelings about it, it's probably still one of the better games in its genre but maybe a bit overpriced. If you're willing to pay 8 for FF, might as well shell out 10 for Chrono Trigger, one of the best ever.

15. frozensolid

May 10, 2012
    Ok yeah i never played ff, xpt the one for ps3. I just saw videos and know its the gameplay im looking for, turn based. So your saying chrono trigger is better? Im more into gameplay than story

16. picohero

Jul 16, 2012
    Okay, I didnt really like FF 1. It wasn't really story driven with characters with personalities. Chrono Trigger is one of my all time favorite RPGs ever. Great music, good characters great battle system, (water down on the iPod, but still good) and just so much to do. I also think gameplay is better.

17. frozensolid

May 10, 2012
    how is across age? ive played zenonia, and i got bored pretty quickly. it looks like a better version of zenonia, is it really good?

18. picohero

Jul 16, 2012
    I think across age is really good. The virtual d-pad is good and such. You might want to buy the DX version though, ales sword controls are supposed to be better. Plus there is an extra dungeon!

19. frozensolid

May 10, 2012
    Ok so is chrono trigger actually turn based (polemon) or is active with an action bar (dimentions)? My friend said you can switch it, but he doesnt play the app he used an emulator.. So i was wondering if anyone can confirm this for the app??

20. picohero

Jul 16, 2012
    The game uses an active bar. There is an option where you can switch enemies to a wait mode where they won't attack while your making a move. It's kind of like turn-based.