Universal Tsuro (by Thunderbox Entertainment G.P.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Feb 3, 2016.

1. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    #21 mzinn, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    It's fun playing solo or adding up to seven AI players. There's various AI difficulty levels to choose from & three different game modes. Even solo play is pretty good as you try to beat your previous best.

There is plenty to enjoy here

2. CarlosR

CarlosR Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Is not showing in México..

3. CarlosR

CarlosR Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Exactly

4. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Not in Brazil App Store.

A new language as an update would be better.

Please release it for all of us. I can wait for the language update. Thanks.

5. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    Not available in Belgium either, which is plain ridiculous because everybody speaks English around here.

6. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

You know, when I see posts like this I almost wonder if people consider the world of game development.

Do you have the foggiest clue the challenges of making a solid online experience? Maybe there were challenges using Gamecenter that weren't there via Facebook?

Maybe the developer tried and decided it was a much higher cost to do their own multiplayer server and wanted to keep the cost down (it's a steal at $4) while still supplying some form of online.

For sure I would like to hear the developers reasonings behind the decision to limit the multiplayer as they have, but for goodness sakes to flip out like that over something like this baffles me. You don't know the whole story and it comes across sounding insanely entitled. I know, because I've done it before. And then when I investigated and read things from other developers, I realized "oh right, there's a truckload of stuff going on behind the scenes that I totally didn't realize"

Do you know how many apps like this see real, major success in the App Store? Virtually none. And it's possible that could happen here. It's a HUGE gamble. Had I not watched Tabletop, I might never have known about this game, it's relatively obscure and you'll get recommendations like Carcassonne, Catan, Ticket to Ride, and Munchkin leagues before you find your way to this game.

I hope they succeed, but you also have to consider how lucky we are to even have this exist. I mean lord Jesus, can you possibly fathom that we have board games who would physically total in the thousands to own that drop on the App Store for a mere pittance?

Even though Eclipse did, and still does, annoy me, I actually can play the game! And compared to setting up the physical version, there's no comparison. Same with Carcassonne, Catan (ugh well maybe not. I still don't like that port), Ticket to Ride, Agricola, Le Harve, etc etc etc. I could go on for days. We are frickin SPOILED and have a ton to choose from. But a lot have pretty much died out because there's no money there. It sounds fantastic on paper and then when it launches and everyone ignores it, that's it. Sure, big names will do fairly well, including Small World 1/2, but niche titles like this are another story.

At least that's my opinion, I'm probably not on top of every fact, but I really don't see the benefit in being so snarky when you have no clue what's going on behind the doors, and I think as a connoisseur of games so much as to have an account on an iOS gaming forum, people here would have a better appreciation for this whole bloody process.

You have to realize that releasing an app in another country without having that country's language supported is a GREAT way to get a ton of 1 star reviews.

And once you get those 1 star reviews, it has been proven to destroy your sales.

So I would rather there be a successful launch without excluding something that could permanently damage their sales in a countr

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yeah, it's not in Lebanon either...and seriously, I doubt anyone plays games in Arabic here.

8. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    #28 abstractgamefreak, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    None of my boardgaming friends has a Facebook account. And playing this simple game against computer players is only half the fun. I doubt that the avoidance of GC multiplayer was a wise decision. Commenting to a post above, sure, a solid MP implementation is a challenge, but as a gametester I have seen very small teams succeed here, even without GC. Finally, who needs a localisation for a simple tile laying game? Perhaps the typical Facebook user who usually does not play boardgames.

9. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

One of the biggest issues is the instructions.

This is a simple game, sure, but it still requires instructions to teach someone the mechanics. All the various dialogue boxes all would have to be translated.

Sure, maybe very few in Lebanon play games in Arabic, or maybe in many other countries, but all it takes is a relatively small slew of reviews to put a game into a death spiral.

As for multiplayer, I went into more detail above. But without the developer explaining themselves, I'm SURE there was a reason behind the decision and I'm also fairly sure, or I hope at least, it was one done to better the game. Only thunder box can say for certain.

10. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ugh, that is a real bummer, not in the Netherlands too..

I've actually never experienced this before, that a game only gets released where it is language localised.

And I doubt that it gets a lot of 1 stars for that. I guess that a bigger issue would be lower launch sales with a limited release like this. Well, it's their decision but at least, I'm sad because I was excited for today as this was mainly the only game I really wanted to get.

Are they really localizing and translating in every language other than English?? I'm highly doubtful that a game will ever see a language translation to Dutch. I just don't see it happening (as there are a lot of more popular languages). I probably even forgot about this game if it might happen.

Just my 2 cents, next.. :/

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    No one leaves reviews on the Lebanese App Store. Especially games that cost money. >_>

Like literally after any developer asks me to leave a review, my response is "It would do absolutely nothing for you". :p

12. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    Haha, is it that small then?

13. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Not in Japanese App Store either. This waiting to localize is always a dumb move in my opinion. There are millions of native English speaking possible customers living in Japan. The devs or publisher is losing money.

14. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    #34 fabianb, Feb 4, 2016
    Jupp, just put in the description that it is only in English if you are fearing 1 stars of that.

This is literally the only game I wanted this week.

Edit: I send them an email and told them this topic exists, so let's hope for a response.

15. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    Oh, yes. Mine! :)

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    They're already active in the thread. :p

See?

17. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    Wow, I totally read that yesterday >.<"... I just woke up so my brain left me I guess. Nevermind then! Still curious as to why they did it.

18. taah

taah Active Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Project Manager
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I guess I'm not allowed to support the devs by buying their game because "it's only in english".

Oh well, their loss.

19. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    #39 fabianb, Feb 4, 2016
    I just bought it on my Canadian account, but I hate to put money on that account (as it is not my main account. So I still hope you get it available in my country.

About the game, I love it! Really relaxing. I also would like some statistics (like someone said before on this thread). Like total games played or total wins or % won. Would be nice! Good game so far though!

Also good job on the extra settings like beautiful or battery saving visuals and normal/turbo speed. Good job on that! I also really like the sounds of moving pieces >.<

20. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    #40 badmanj, Feb 4, 2016
    -----