iPad trying not to use my gift card...

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by WOW_GEE, Jan 9, 2009.

1. WOW_GEE

WOW_GEE Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Recieved an iTunes gift card for $15 dollars a few days ago, and I've been trying my hardest not to use it. With all the previews that came out a little while ago scheduled to be released in January, I'd rather not waste it on an inferior app. However, being an impulsive buyer, this is rather difficult.
    I almost bought monopoly when the price dropped, but I quickly talked myself out of it due to the lack of recognizable currency.
    What about you guys? Are you holding out buying apps until a big release comes out like payback, nfs, or something from freeverse or ngmoco, or does it not matter?

2. kramszed

kramszed Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    i bought a $50 card when it was on sale got it for $40 and i am holding back for some titles, nfs to name a few. that's normal i guess?

3. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Ngmoco is coming out with a new app soon called Word Fu.

I played it at MacWorld.

4. OahuSurf

OahuSurf Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Before I loaded up my account with 60 bucks I bought apps left and right, but now that I can see how much I have, I haven't spent much at all, maybe 10 bucks in the past month. Easier to manage how much is spent.

5. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    I have £6.99 to spend. I reckon if a good game comes out at that price point I'll buy that. :)

6. dlogik

dlogik Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Easiest thing to do:

Move to Canada so you can't use your gift cards for games/apps and thus are forced to be diligent with your credit card spending.

:rolleyes:

7. Sierra275

Sierra275 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    nil
    Singapore
    Personally, I realize that the app store's method of distribution makes obsessive and compulsive buying uncomfortably easy. Often, I trawl through TouchArcade, Pocketgamer and the App store and I find a cool game. My way of doing things is that when I see something that looks cool, I type it down into a list I made called "paid apps". This is a list of apps that I want, but I have not bought for whatever reason. Once I've put it down, I then go research the app. If it looks good, and everyone says it's good, and Pocketgamer and TouchArcade gives it good reviews, then I wait for about a day or two before buying, just to make sure that what I buy isn't on impulse. And thus, I've spent about $70USD on the app store to date.

8. different

Aug 8, 2008
  9. max rimstain

max rimstain Member

Dec 30, 2008
    the best way is to get giftcards from ioffer.com, i got $200 credit for $42, that way it dont really matter if you buy a dud game!

10. steviet

steviet Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    tv editor
    London

you need to be careful with things like this. lots of people have been caught out buying cheap vouchers and it turned out the originals were bought with stolen credit cards.

sorry for the off thread!

11. Fubit86

Fubit86 Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    STUDENT
    Seattle, WA
    the currency in Monopoly is fine! It's in millions/hundred thusands. That wierd little M symbol means NOTHING! IDK why they put it there, it just turns off buyers.

12. steviet

steviet Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    tv editor
    London
    wtf ?!!!!

13. Fubit86

Fubit86 Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    STUDENT
    Seattle, WA
    haha yea I know I actually didn't buy the game until my friend showed me it was like credit card monopoly then I just said what the heck

14. Hello

Hello Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    California;
    wait, did the code really work? the site looks a bit suspicous, but if it works id wanna get one.:D

15. Hello

Hello Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    California;
    oh if it did work, can you tell me from which seller?
    all the feedback coulda been written by the seller!

16. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    There have been several stories from people who purchased a card for really cheap, used the card (so it seemed as if it worked!) but then they got their account closed.

All was lost, including the money they got on their account legally.

So be careful.

17. mattmanp

mattmanp Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Never buy an iTunes Gift Card from a non-retail site/store if you cannot verify who originally purchased it. The chances of losing the credit and the money you paid for the card are too high. I should know (but not because I fell victim or sell them).

18. different

Aug 8, 2008
    I caved, just bought Alphabetic. :)

19. Freegoo

Freegoo Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I thought the M stood for millions, when you drop below 1 it changes to k, which i figured meant thousands. Whether that's right or not I don't know. I don't care for the new money system at all, but you get used to it. Everything is still the same, just multiplied by 15 or something.

20. also trying hard to not use all of my giftcard that I got for Christmas, but it's hard.
    I didn't own a lot of games before, but the advice on this site seems to have turned me in to a iPod game addict. Today alone I have bought Fieldrunners, Tiki Tower and Rebel Onslaught.
    Must resist and save remaining £10 for future releases !