Universal True Skate - (by True Axis)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Occupied

Occupied Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Slowly increasing the prices of new maps, I see. I get that you have to make money but charging your loyal customers more isn't the way to go. I even kept quiet when one of the IAPs price was raised by 500%. Not to mention, charging $2 for what is essentially a F2P game.

I think my support for the game ends here, now that I see the direction it's heading. It's a shame, too, because I was pretty stoked on Love Park.

2. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    What does this even mean? They release new content, which takes time and money to create, and charge for it. You don't have to buy said new content if you don't want to. I don't see the problem?

3. riggysmalls

riggysmalls Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Oregon
    Hey Luke,

Still love the game, still buying all the maps. It's awesome that love park came out, but wth is with the 20ft tall garbage cans and barriers? I would love to see some parks actually tailored to realistic mode, especially when they are real skate spots.

4. luketrueaxis

luketrueaxis Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Game Development (Managing Director of True Axis)
    Melbourne, Australia
    These latest parks are considerably bigger then other parks, and costing us a lot more to make, plus we had to upgrade the True Skate tech for them. The pricing makes sense for the amount of content you get. The next course will be cheaper.

The scale is meant to be as accurate as we could get it, although, we probably could have tested with realistic mode on more. The perspective of the tall screen with the wide lens angle does make things look unnaturally tall in the distance though. If you change to one of the fish eye cameras it looks different, or if flick the deck up so it rest on the side of a bin, you can see that it isn't that tall next to the deck. I'm not sure about the size of the blue barrier, but you can still jump onto that from the ledge.

The camera perspective actually always causes the vertical scale to feel a bit different to what it really in True Skate. Scale is a weird thing in games. Sometimes correct scale can look wrong in certain camera angles. Now you get the thing where you play an old game in VR and instantly notice how wrong the scale of things are. I actually hacked a version of True Skate to sort of work in VR, and it was interesting to see how much smaller some of the transitions look in VR compared to on the tall screen with the wide perspective.

Still, I think we probably could put more effort into testing with realistic mode in general.

5. Occupied

Occupied Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    I was a bit harsh, Luke. I apologize for that. I just really don't want to see prices gradually raising like I thought they were. I still love the game and will for many more years.

6. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    It's understandable.

7. Muscat

Muscat Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Love Love Park.

Also I really really like the new grab system, although it took me a little while to figure out how it works. In case anyone else is having trouble figuring it out like I did, its as simple as
    swiping in onto the board. So start your finger well away form the board and then swipe in and hold it to grab. You can only grab while the board is in the air, and holding a grab when you land or grind does not make you fall.

8. dontdiewondering

dontdiewondering Active Member

Feb 20, 2014
    Grabs are Sweet

Hey True Axis!
    Long time no talk - still playing the game daily, best game ever. Stoked on the new grabs, took me a while to get the hang of it, but I am stoked on them now. It is super cool how you can grab and then tweak, I am super impressed with how realistic you are able to make this 'game.' I think of it as more of a skate simulator than a game.

Keep up the great work, love True Skate.

9. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    If we realised how well grabs would work, we might have added them earlier.

10. dontdiewondering

Feb 20, 2014
    Oh no...new update changes push speed dramatically!

True Skate - I was so excited to see an update with a new park!

And the park looks killer...

But suddenly pushing is like I am underwater, wearing a 100 pound backpack - it takes several pushes to reach any kind of speed, and the first push or two is like being in a bad dream, trying to run in slow motion to escape danger.

What happened?

Then I tried it without glitch mode on, and it was back to normal. Great! Except I can't take advantage of the high-speed push glitch, which is super fun, and something I use ALL the time.

Oh well - hopefully you can fix/restore that.

Then I played for a while longer and a strange thing happened where white and black lines began coming out from my board, spinning around with the board in a dizzying fashion.

I'm sure you guys will get it all ironed out, thanks for the best app ever.

11. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Bit late now... but obviously we fixed this bug a while back. It was just a silly error.

12. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    You guys are really knocking it out of the park with the new skateparks :D

13. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    We have just launched a crowed funding effort to try and get a High End skateboarding game happening http://kickstarter.trueskate.com

We've been developing a PC demo which can actually connect to the True Skate iOS game. (It is also playable with a game pad)

There are more details at the link, some screen shots and a video.

14. dontdiewondering

Feb 20, 2014
    New Park Like Overpass?

Hey Luke and True Axis!

Still loving this game and playing all the time - always on realistic mode.

I own all the parks and they are all fun - but I have to say that the first park, Overpass, is probably my favorite to session. There are just so many lines, and I love how everything is packed together, so you can combine so many tricks/gaps/etc. The Valley is probably my 2nd favorite, just wish there wasn't so much open space.

For what it's worth, thought I would let you know, and see if we can hope for more parks like these in the future - hopefully soon!

Other favorites:
    Havasu
    Warehouse
    Inbound
    Schoolyard
    Double Infinity

Thanks!

15. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Most of the feedback I've noticed for Underpass, is actually that it is too tightly packed.

The next course to come out will be SLS Supercrown 2016.

After that, we might actually be trying to change things up a bit.

16. dontdiewondering

Feb 20, 2014
    New Parks

I imagine Underpass is too crowded for people playing on regular mode, which is unfortunate for the app because it is the only map available when purchased, I believe.

For realistic mode, it is perfect and super fun and I want more courses like it.

I bought the new SLS course - I buy them all to support you guys, but they get boring after a few minutes and feel like a waste of time - when you could be creating cool maps with variety, variation on the vertical scale, etc, which you have demonstrated the ability to do.

Please give us more creative, varied maps for realistic mode shredders!

Thanks.

17. dontdiewondering

Feb 20, 2014
    New Parks Please?

Hi True Skate!

So excited to finally see True Skate in the Update section of the app - only to be disappointed that the focus is on improved Facebook Flow.

It must be really difficult to create new parks, I can understand that, but we are waiting a long time!

18. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    We are actually slowing down a bit with new course releases so we can focus on a bunch of things that we've been delaying for a long time.

Keeping things like facebook uptodate are an necessary distraction for us unfortunately. A lot of things we are doing at the moment are very behind the scenes, for example, we completely replacing all the progress tracking system to integrate with our own server to try to get it super reliable which will help us do a lot of things we want to do moving forward.

We are also working on some completely new features which should be quite a big deal, but we will be announcing more when we are ready.

19. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Not my kind of thing but currently free.