Universal True Skate - (by True Axis)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Quantum Apocalypse

Quantum Apocalypse Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ah, I thought the last camera wasn't fisheye >.< My bad.

2. GSJ1977

GSJ1977 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    When I'm going backwards and I try to steer the board it steers the "wrong" way. I assume this is supposed to be more intuitive but for me it isn't. An option to switch this behavior around would be great.

3. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Just thought I'd post my praise for this game, I did like touch grind because it felt real close to actually playing with the little tech deck boards but this seems more like real skating, the only comparison I can come up with is touchgrind would be like tony hawk and true skate is like skate by ea.

Either way I'm really enjoying skating around trying to pull off tricks. I'm not even bothered about seeing missions because for me skating is just about doing your own thing (I do the same thing in skate on 360) all I'd like is more environments.

Oh one thing though I can seem to nollie? Is this possible or not yet.

Great stuff though five stars!

4. Quantum Apocalypse

Mar 23, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Do you mean as it is a side on view during the back-front transition?

Yes you can nollie right now :p Not sure how to pull it off 100% as of yet, but I got it once :p

Also, would it be possible to do a stationary turn like on Touchgrind?

5. luketrueaxis

luketrueaxis Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Game Development (Managing Director of True Axis)
    Melbourne, Australia
    #105 luketrueaxis, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
    I kept thinking it would be good to have a way for the camera to switch directions. We are going to have such a long list of requests. It will be hard to choose.

If the game does really well, it would make sense to try to make some new environments. I just hope we can get the same artist, or somebody else who can match it. I was really lucky to find Arron Hoffman., I think I made some smart decisions with the tech, but then he did a brilliant job using it.

Just flick forward on the nose. The only problem is that the nose is small on screen. If you have trouble, try a different camera with a better angle.

How can you even go backwards? The camera will just swing around. Perhaps you have an issue about how the camera swings in some cases. It can be a bit of an issue when getting towards some vert.

6. GSJ1977

Jul 6, 2012
    Well, one way to replicate the problem is to go up... I don't know the proper names of these things... but a curved ramp that goes vertical. Just before you come to a stop start steering to one side and keep your finger held down. The board will tilt and steer, but then as the board slows to a stop and then starts coming back down the ramp (and the camera starts to swing around) the board will suddenly lean the other way even though you haven't moved your finger.

7. agentblank

agentblank Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Awesone game trueaxis I am really enjoying it. But sometimes my tricks don't register when I land them.

8. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah, it is because the way the camera swings around, your finger ends up on the other side of the board with out moving. I think the only way to improve this is to change the way the camera works in this case. Perhaps if the camera was to swing around earlier, it would work better. I think lots of skating and snowboarding games I have played have issues with vertical.

9. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Just wanted to say, I'm very much enjoying this game, but I'd like to know how many points I'd get a session just by playing around. That's just a suggestion. Still great though.

10. GSJ1977

Jul 6, 2012
    Yeah, the camera swing takes time but the control switch is instant. Ideally I think the control axis (where the game thinks your finger is, relative to the board) should rotate with the camera instead of doing an insta-flip.

11. Deixa

Deixa Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    I hate games like this but true skate is quite good at the same time quite hard to get used to.

12. Quantum Apocalypse

Mar 23, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm feeling that when you land tricks while the camera is half turned the tricks don't register as often, if at all.

More things I feel:
    -option to lower menu sounds, they're pretty loud in comparison to the skating sounds in my opinion.
    -Low gravity mode! Lol, but some where where you can pull of a serious heap of tricks :p

13. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    It instant flips when the board rotates through horizontal on the screen. Doing any other way will just cause other problems. One other possibility is to just keep steering the same way, until you move your finger. Actually, it is possible that could work with this control method because it is relative, rather then absolute, however, it might break something else, somewhere else. Could try that. Either way, handling vert better is something we want to look at further, it is one aspect that could be better with how the controls work.

14. Kablermo

Kablermo Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    The game finally arrived in Germany this morning. FANTASTIC.

15. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I think me might just lower the level of them by default always.

16. CNWLshadow

CNWLshadow Active Member

Apr 24, 2011
    #116 CNWLshadow, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    message removed

17. Deixa

Deixa Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Was able to perform tricks so much better when I lowered the camera. One thing is when you are going up a ramp/wall and you perform a trick it doesn't register. I did a pop shove it going up and when it landed didn't get a score

18. 12yam

12yam Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Toronto
    Sorry if this has been asked already, but how does this run on an iPod 4?

19. fenderbendr

fenderbendr Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Really well. The controls are very smooth and the graphics look great. I'd defanatly pick it up. ;)

20. johannaffendy

johannaffendy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Malaysia
    Finally decided to purchase this. As expected, it feels like a tech demo due to the lack of contents. But don't get me wrong. True Skate is worth buying considering the devs are coming up with updates sooner or later.

Funny no one mentioned this plays quite similar to fingerboards.