Universal True Skate - (by True Axis)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 17, 2012.

1. paulomureb

paulomureb New Member

Oct 18, 2012
    I'm the number 1 now! Lets see next morning!

2. luketrueaxis

luketrueaxis Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Game Development (Managing Director of True Axis)
    Melbourne, Australia
    #82 luketrueaxis, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
    Oops, did I just accidentally upload one of my high scores to the top of the leaderboards?? it was 2739, quite high, although, I guess it wont be too long before somebody beats it. Or did I just add that score to the sand box again.

Actually, if that is the sandbox leaderboards I am looking at, then I am suspicious I leaked the game to the Chinese early. I remember being worried that I sent a promo code to a very unreliable source. I got a bit slack checking who I was sending promo codes to just before release. It wouldn't be really fair if so many people go the game early that way, while the good people have to wait. I should have been more careful if that happened. I almost burnt my home down last night too with a microwave accident.

3. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    Just purchased and played for a couple minutes. Graphics are outstanding and very smooth gameplay! Well worth the $1.99 price!! Highly recommended! :D

4. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Well, now I feel like a jackass if your highest score is 2739. I can't really beat that in a "valid" run. My high scores above 2400-ish have been coming from exploiting the grinding on the pool lip. I can get a 2k+ score from a good lazy grind to flip to 50 50 though. At least I used an exploit rather than hacking the leaderboards as seen on so many games... doesn't really validate my score though. Sorry :(

5. Firetruck94

Firetruck94 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    on mars
    This game is incredibly awesome, my favorite release of this year so far.

6. jgynwa11

jgynwa11 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Full-time iPhone Gamer
    Love the game. But I find it quite hard to turn while trying to go forward. Maybe the accelerometer can be used to control the turning? Just a suggestion.

7. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    #87 luketrueaxis, Oct 18, 2012
    I might have to look into how to game high scores on the pool lip.

I can't remember what I did to get that high score, but It helps when you know what tricks give higher scores, and you know what tricks are possible.

Might be worth looking into that for an update as an option, although, we have soo many ideas for updates!

Awesome, its really great to be able to make games that people are so enthusiastic about!

8. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    25,2mb installed with a highly detailed and textured skate park? are you kidding me? this game is never going to leave my 4S!

pure awesomeness... and i'm young again (at least for the time playing this :p)

9. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    It would be nice to at least include a flat open level to practice tricks on without running into stuff constantly.

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #90 MidianGTX, Oct 18, 2012
    Don't forget that while "pushing" is necessary for acceleration, you don't need to keep doing it once you're up to speed. Three kicks should be plenty then you can steer about and only add another kick when needed. Plus the steering is sharp enough that if you just need to turn around, one kick is all the speed you need to circle about.

...and of course you can always push in reverse and go backwards.

11. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    The thing about the lip grinding, or grinding in general right now is that you don't have to balance yourself after the initial bit. So if you slow down enough you can just stand there and accumulate points till the grind maxes out, after which you can do a tiny bunny hop ollie or nollie and restart the grind, even if you don't get any actual distance on the grind. What most skating games do is make balancing tougher as the grind gets longer in length and duration and of course balancing is tougher the slower you go. That should eliminate the lip grinding.

By the way, I tried climbing up the steps to the garden! I have to assume I hit an invisible wall on one of the steps because I came pretty damn close :p

12. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Rewind helps immensely in setting up and testing tricks on shorter open lanes. Most of the time you can even test the easier tricks just standing still.

13. Quantum Apocalypse

Quantum Apocalypse Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Aww...missed out on launch :'(

14. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm trying to avoid those fake kind of mechanics where balancing gets harder with time. I really disliked it in other skating games. If your good at balance you should just be able to keep doing it. Besides, in real life, not much balance should be needed to grind a bowl lip because you can roll on the wheels. Anyway, the score works off length, not time, and there is a minimum speed cut off, but I don't think I tested that lip bowl well enough. I don't think you should be allowed to get such a high score from that.

We also need to add scoring for manuals at some point I guess, and make them work a bit better.

I think it would probably be better to just make sure the score can max out for both so it can't be gamed.

Keep trying;) No, There is an invisible wall there, in my early testing I couldn't get anywhere near it, but, I think some how in the final release, movement ended up faster, and jumps higher.

15. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    I love it that you're trying to keep this as authentic as possible! So many people coming to the app aren't realizing that this is a more natural expression of the skateboarding experience rather than an arcade-styled game. Even though it's right there in there title heh

16. Quantum Apocalypse

Quantum Apocalypse Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    AWESOME. Love the game. As mentioned, the grinds do net in a heap of points. Possibly reduce the point given? I think you should require a finger on the board. For example, if you ride along a lip, some point it will *click* to a 50-50 grind, and stay clicked onto the lip until you ollie off. Meaning you can let it grind hands free, and the board won't fall off.

Another small thing, in the turorials, it only registers the single kickflip for example. A double won't count, but I guess that teaches control :p

And final thing, I tried out the different view cameras and they are super cool too, except on iPad 2, the board becomes blurred as you get closer. maybe have a resolution change with the cameras? Though that would probably increase the file size.

Otherwise, I am hooked :)

17. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    i agree with some other posters: a simple flat-skatepark (with only a few obstacles) would be a great addition for training-purposes... something like a car park etc.?

this weeks GOTW is going to be a pretty tough call ;)

18. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Wooot! First over 10k.

Heh.

Uh, how do you do one of those pop shove-its?

19. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Actually, that would make a lot of sense... I thought something was wrong with how that worked. I actually want to improve lip grinds and add more lip tricks at some point, but it will be a lot of work to detect various lip tricks.

That was intentional, maybe we could adjust the text for that.

It is probably actually an artifact of the fish eye lens. It blurs everything in the middle a bit. The only way to fix it would be to increase the resolution that the lens is done at, but that would slow the game. It is really bad on the iPhone 3Gs and iPod 3rd in particular.

20. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Just want to say, personally I couldn't care less about things like structured missions. What I very much would like to see though, is more locations (of varying difficulty and "density") and more boards. Actual different kinds of boards too, with appropriate physics. This game's strength is in its physics and feel. Play to it. Anybody can piece together a cut scene and put up a few challenges.