Universal Troll Patrol (by Philippe Schober)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Royce, Dec 30, 2019.

1. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA

ROFL.

stubbieoz, breban1 and macplash like this.
  2. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    #62 DaviddesJ, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    I find that with Treasure Hunter at cooldown 4 I can stay ahead of the enemy power curve. I'm on Wave 17, Turn 900, have chosen Hard enemies at every step. I'm generating lots of coins every 4 turns with Treasure Hunter, and my coins are worth 320 gold each, so I'm getting 5-10k gold every 4 turns. Shields are also worth 320 loot, and I have Spikes 23. With Bomb and Enchant Weapon also at cooldown 4 I can use those if I ever get into trouble.

Counting upgrades, I've got about 30 weapon upgrades, 30 shield upgrades, 8 potion, 30 coin, 7 leech, 23 spikes, 6 exp, 19 active skills, and about 20 other random upgrades. Also my armor is at 100 and durability 50%. So I've upgraded about 260 times in 900 turns, and the rate seems to be roughly constant.

I'll keep playing for a while, but am I going to stay ahead of the enemies forever, or will they eventually ramp up faster than I can, as in the old Dungeon Raid? If I keep getting roughly an upgrade every 3 turns, and the enemies increase in strength faster than linearly (maybe it's quadratic?), then they will eventually pass me. That's what happened in Dungeon Raid.

3. Fellhuhn

Fellhuhn Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Male
    Noted. I will think about it.

A boss doesn't always drop something. It also depends on your cursed/blessed state.

I am currently building a new release for iOS where that should be fixed. Unity's documentation is a bit strange and I had to circumvent a bug that is over a year old... yay. Let us hope it works now. I am currently uploading the version to Apple so that it should be ready in 8-12 hours after review.

The enemies scale differently on all their stats, so some might become quite overpowering. Also some enemy skills will become more deadly. But it might still be possible to "break" the game, even though we added a lot of safeguards and limitations during the beta and the most obvious exploits were removed.

breban1 likes this.
  4. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    Fantastic support man!

5. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I did find an event which allowed me to send my tentacles back to storage while continuing my run, so that was nice.

So far the unlocks I've seen seem pretty mediocre. But I've only seen a few.

My last run did end around wave 20 as I got overpowered despite getting constant power-ups.

6. Fellhuhn

Fellhuhn Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Male
    Most cave upgrades are harmless if you only have one. It is the combination that makes them strong. :)

7. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Warrior Exp to level up L times = 1000 * (L + 1.1^L).
    Warrior Gold/Loot for U upgrades = 1000 * U * (1 + (U-1)/20)

I think the Thief requires 20% more Exp for levels and 10% less Gold/Loot for upgrades?

The exponential growth of level-up cost means that level up come slower and slower, while equipment upgrades can be pretty steady if you're increasing your gold/coin and loot/shield.

The game seems to get hard around wave 20. I think the enemies are getting exponentially stronger (like in Dungeon Raid), so eventually the linear increase in hero stats can't keep up.

8. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good game, but some of the elements are making it less fun for me than the classics like Dungeon Raid.

The lose the Tentacles thing should be in the basic tutorial. I don't even think I knew there was an advanced tutorial till I stumbled on it, but could be wrong on that.

I've played several hours and have one not very useful blueprint that would use all my tentacles. This is very different from most similar games where the game-to-game upgrades come easier.

I agree that I don't like the lose your tentacles mechanic.

Buffs are displayed poorly. I guess you can get used to it, but I still don't know which piece of equipment to click on to see which buffs.

9. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. You can look at your character sheet to see all of your current bonuses. It almost never matters which bonus is attached to which piece of equipment. There's never any real reason during the game to look at that.

10. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'll have to figure out how to do that then. I've been doing it manually by clicking on the different pieces of equipment, which is very annoying. I missed some option to view the character sheet. I guess. I just didn't click on all the buttons, so maybe this one is on me.

Another issue I noticed is that the staff weapon seems to give only +% damage buffs. But since I couldn't get any +1 damage buffs, the % buffs were bad. My adventurer just wasn't doing enough damage and died early. I guess there are probably still *some* +1 damage buffs...I just didn't see any before dying early.

11. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    During the game, there's a "character sheet" icon that you can tap on to see all of the character's bonuses.

When you're starting the game and choosing items at setup, you can see the exact list of potential bonuses and their probabilities that each item can gain.

I recommend tapping around on everything. When you do they are pretty self explanatory.

I haven't seen the staff yet. I only have the original sword, and the dagger.

12. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, I don't know why I never clicked on the newspaper like thing -- a weird oversight.

Staff is very intriguing because the most common buff is +10% to spells and staffs/wands. So in theory it could help keep up with the curve for longer. I only tried adventurer with staff once, but I didn't get a single +damage, all +damage% so it was a little dispiriting, but it could be potentially good for deep runs if I got unlucky.

I haven't pushed very far yet, trying to get a few tentacles even though the plans I have at this point are not big difference makers.

13. Fellhuhn

Fellhuhn Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Male
    I was pondering adding one of those "overlay click-here tutorials" to better explain the UI but everyone hates those (me included). So most of the stuff is left for exploration. The same way the Troll learned that acid isn't tasty. ;)

The blueprints and cave upgrades are kind of the endgame, a veeery long term goal for all those who unlocked everything else. So don't worry if it takes a while longer to unlock all those and focus on unlocking the enemies and getting further and further. That's what I do, at least. ;)

14. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    The resistance to poison upgrade puzzles me! I don't think I've ever been poisoned, except drinking one of the converted potions which is NBD. Maybe I haven't unlocked the poisoning enemies yet? I'm over 50% unlock though.

I really feel like the class and weapon unlocks should not be random, its annoying and defeats a feeling of progression. Only tentacles are steady progression, and they don't actually do that much. People like progression; I like progression. So less random way to work towards unlocking those things would be nice.

The arrow skill is confusing me. Is the number of arrows level related? I rejected the skill a bunch of times this game, and every time it came back the number of arrows offered was increased. I feel like the skill description maybe needs an upgrade -- might be better than I was thinking if it auto-upgrades somehow. Or maybe its a bug, dunno.

Adventurer using the staff is confusing to me. I only get +10% to spells and wands upgrades, which don't seem to work on the staff. So how do you increase damage? I haven't found any wands, and the only damage related spell I've seen is arrows I think? Anyway, something feels off there.

I know you have said the cave upgrades do something synergistically, but... well I don't think most of them do, have about half unlocked or so -- done better unlocking those than classes/weapons. +2 base damage, +1 weapon damage, those sorts of things help you get started smoother, which matters, but don't actually do anything at all past wave 20. Even the 10% gold one doesn't do anything in the long run, since the cost of levelling up gold increases. In fact, I haven't seen a single upgrade that seems truly relevant past wave 20. Maybe the new arrow skill if you are using arrows? Its just nice if these things are in % terms so gradually you don't get suck on 20-22, you get stuck on 25-27 and then 30 or something. Progression. (**Well as noted, % won't totally fix the issue for gold and experience, but it would be a big help for shields and swords.)

15. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    The number of arrows increases with your level or attack strength in some way.

The cost to buy upgrades with gold grows only linearly, so if you get 10% more gold/coin for the whole game, you'll get about 5% more upgrades in the long run, regardless of how long you play. So that's not insignificant in the long run.

16. Fellhuhn

Fellhuhn Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Male
    Arrows: You shoot 72 arrows, randomly. Each arrow deals 1 point of damage per level. An enemy can be hit with multiple arrows.
    The skill Good Shot increases the chance to hit an enemy. Cripple and Poison can be applied to those arrows.

Wands are basically skills which have to be unlocked. They represent the skills a character can learn. The mage starts with the Wand of Magic Missile. Because Trolls can't cast spells and still wear funny hats. So basically they are mages.

Further Cave Upgrades are planned, perhaps I will manage to add some before the next update this weekend.

The class unlocks are either tied to progressions (kills) or some unlocks (equipment). Once there are more equipment types and classes I will most likely change the system. There will also be more skills which will be restricted to some classes to create more diversity. But don't ask for a due date as I have to finish the new online multiplayer system for Hnefatafl first as the old stops working by March and I promised to do nothing big till then.

17. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the response Felhuhn. I think the game has a lot of potential! A few things though:

(1) at the very least, the description of arrows that appears when the skill comes up appears to be wrong. It does not say 72 arrows, it says some different number that I and Daviddes noted appears to change;

(2) I unlocked wands...and then died, losing it. Didn't realize that was possible. The term "unlock" suggested it was a done thing.

(3) I still don't understand why when you select staff, you only or mostly get +% for wands damage increases. I unlocked staff, not wand. Why do I also need wands to play staffs? Seems like a design problem.

(4) You didn't respond to the poison issue. The plus 5 percent poison resistance appears to be almost completely without value unless there is a poisoner enemy I haven't unlocked yet. I'm assuming there is such an enemy, but maybe the poison resistance shouldn't start appearing until you unlock this enemy?

(5) Similar to poison, is there an enemy that has thorns? I've never noticed it if so. Some sort of display enhancement might be nice, because the padded glove also feels useless right now.

18. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    My next run went through about wave 25, I was never really in danger of dying for the last several waves, then around wave 25 I wasn't paying attention and a gnome bomber exploded and killed me in a single blast. It seems to eventually get repetitive for hours and the biggest danger is mistakes.

19. Fellhuhn

Fellhuhn Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Male
    You are right. Fixed it. The arrows deal "level" damage and you shoot 72 of them. The description now (v1.11) reflects that now.

Yes, they stay unlocked. Look at the list of unlockable skills in the main menu and the wands should be there. Only the Adventurer and the Mage can use wands.

Wands are the spells of the mage. The mage usually wields the Staff which then, instead of dealing direct damage, boosts his spells.

Currently the Poison Resistance only protects from the poisoned potions which gets created by Ninjas, Witches and Plague Doctors. More cases will follow.

Thorns are created by the Druid which then spread across the board and can become quite the pest.

slewis7 likes this.
  20. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I just started playing this and WOW, JUST WOW! I am so happy to see a new Dungeon Raid style game and one of such quality with so much depth. Just blown away! Thank you, Fellhuhn!