Universal Troll Patrol (by Philippe Schober)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Royce, Dec 30, 2019.

1. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Awesome!!! Thanks for the reply! I appreciate your interaction here & the game is fantastic!!!! Once the crash bug is fixed I’ll get back at it!

2. agentganon

agentganon Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Just reporting in to say that the 1.06 update has fixed the crashing issue. And it seems the iPhone 10/11 Notch is no longer blocking content. Very nice job! Thank you for the quick fix and all the hard work

3. Fellhuhn

Fellhuhn Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Male
    Glad to hear that it works okay. There still is a bug where the class detail screen doesn't close anymore in the equipment screen but I will fix that today. I might have used to my "fast lane passes" though, so it might take a bit until it is available (~20 hours from).

4. breban1

breban1 Well-Known Member

What is an "event"? When you say "quest" do you mean patrol? Sorry, just want to make sure I understand your verbage compared to what I'm seeing in the game.

I am having a VERY tough time completing just one patrol at this point. I've upgraded my cave with about 6 different blueprints (more health, more damage, etc.). I chose everything that would make me a stronger troll to hopefully clear more waves. I tried one patrol the first couple days without success so I moved to the "100 joker" patrol, which is a 1-star patrol. I figured I'd clear that pretty easily, but I am pretty much going 5 waves, QUIT patrol, gain 1 tentacle, rinse, repeat. I've probably played a good 10-12 hours now and I don't feel like I am progressing very much (if at all?)

I find it not worth going to waves 6-7 because *usually* something crazy happens like thorns or some other unknown negative effect and I die... therefore receiving 0 tentacles, and still not even close to my jester goal (1/2 maybe?).

Any hints/tips you could share would be appreciated. (I've read through all of the fortune cookies).

Thanks!

5. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    Since update, pad pro 12/9 ios13.3. Game starts but crashes immediately after opening.

6. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @breban1 you need to match the criteria of the quest during one patrol. Even the easiest ones takes way longer than 5 waves. Last time I completed "kill 50 ninjas" quest and retired after 15 waves. Just saying. If you have multiple cave upgrades already you shouldn't be retiring after 5 waves. You shouldn't even have hard times during those first waves. I got barely 4 cave upgrades and doing first 7-8 waves on Hard usually. I'm usually playing Warrior class with swords, but currently I'm experimenting with Thief and daggers. That guy has sneak attack and coin stealing skills active from beginning by default.;)

7. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    When I open the “Character Description” page (“?” icon from the New Patrol page), I can’t exit from the popup whatever I do. I have to restart the app to get back to the Start page.

8. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @DaviddesJ according to Discord channel @Fellhuhn is aware of it and he’s gonna fix it later today. On Android devices you can use back button, but on iOS you need to kill the app. So, fix is on the way. Hang in there and in the meantime don’t open character menu.;)

9. Hard_Squirrel

Hard_Squirrel Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Not sure if it’s an isolated incident, but since today’s update (which fixed the crashing) the drag mechanics has a bug. It stops dragging through tiles randomly and I can’t complete moves

10. breban1

Thanks for the info! I will try going a little deeper in waves, although I just got to wave 9 and had ONE tentacle and was 66% through getting 100 Jesters. Then I got absolutely clobbered by not having swords near any enemies. In the end, 0 tentacles for about, what, 20 minutes of play? Then start over. Maybe this game is just a LOT slower than I thought it would be?

I typically go for sword/shield upgrades for item and axe/other damage items for loot. I really don't understand the 5% armor durability upgrades... don't even know how it translates in the game. I think possibly just more in-game help about some of the upgrades would help. Most are self-explanatory, but others I never pick because I don't understand them. What are others picking for patrol upgrades?

11. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @breban1 I’m not picking durability upgrades either. Armor has durability, but going this way is probably suitable for the long term strategy (like achievement for reaching 100 waves during a patrol). I don’t recall my armor being broken at any point yet.

Upgrade-wise, I’m usually going for the highest damage with Warrior class (I’m wielding two weapons instead of weapon+armor combo) or for the highest critical hit chance with Thief using daggers.

From active skills I’m always going for Master of Chains and/or Nitpicking first. Then I’m getting Bats - those are lifesavers. Bomb and/or Spikes to complete the collection of 4.

Passive skills like “fully healed on leveling up” is one less thing to worry about especially after a boss fight. I’m barely going for gold or poison (damage or resistance). What I totally love is damage increase when matching only either horizontal or vertical swords. These gives you +3/4 increase and when picked up multiple times, it stacks to ridiculous numbers.

Aside from having no idea how effective the armor durability increase is, I also never pick up +4 damage on carnivores (or animals? I’m not sure about exact description atm) because from browsing enemy list, I see no animals there except maybe one or two.

So yeah, this is me. I’m curious about other strategies, so don’t be shy to share. Newly added Buff machine seems to make a huge difference as well. Being able to stack up on buffs and whatnot looks great. For 10 fezes per patrol - for a full buff. Sounds fair as you can get that amount back during a more or less successful patrol.

breban1 likes this.
  12. Fellhuhn

Fellhuhn Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Male
    Sorry, was at work so I will try to answer your questions now:

Events are random cards that may appear after each wave. There you have options how to tackle some situations. You can disable them if there is a language barrier, you had enough of them or you just don't want the added randomness.

Cave upgrades and Quests are the endgame. Just focus on unlocking all the features, enemies etc. and find your favorite class/equipment combination etc. Once you get comfortable with those you can get hunting for tentacles.

Besides that I recommend the Discord channel as there are some very successful players which easily surpass my best patrols.

That was a bug in version 1.04 and should have been fixed in version 1.06. My dad had the problem that it only updated on his iPhone but not on his iPad and he had to manually delete and reinstall it for it to update.

He will even get a new buff with the upcoming patch. ;)

Yes, that was a bug that I introduced with the latest notch fix. It will be fixed in the next update. But as I have used up all my "fast lane tickets" with Apple it might take a few hours to process the review.

That is strange. Can you explain it more in details? Do you perhaps have Fear active (can't select swords or enemies)? Or a net? There are some status effects that limit your connecting abilities. Besides that touch the screen with a second appendix (normally a finger... ...) resets the selection. Is that perhaps what happened?

The shepherd spawns sheep (there is a quest for that too) and the Shaman transforms into an animal. If you don't have a lot of those the Carnivore skill might not be very useful. Hm... The lizard is an animal too. Will make him edible with the next update. :D

13. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Sometimes they’re quite useful when the situation is handled right like having a spider helping you through one wave or getting your health buffed and whatnot. Sometimes, on the other hand, you encounter some shitty green slime you try to attack and as a result you lose all your coins and loot. Thanks for that @Fellhuhn :p

Quests are such a great addition. As I’m currently in the endgame I guess (judging by the 100% unlock screen below), my main focus is on collecting tentacles and completing quests (like the last one, attached below as well). Especially those tentacles, cause someone - whom I’m not gonna point my finger at (@Fellhuhn :D) - thought it’d be a good idea to charge 30 tentacles for a single cave upgrade (like for decreasing scavenger runtimes to half), right?:p

Attached Files:

14. Fellhuhn

Fellhuhn Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Male
    :p

Quests already change how the game plays. The Jester quest for example greatly increases the chance for them to appear and with their skill they add a lot of randomness. More quests will follow as every night from now on for four weeks will be spend developing. But I have to finish the port of Hnefatafl during that time too.

15. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA

When your armor absorbs a point of damage, the durability determines whether the armor value is reduced. At the start, with low durability, your armor degrades very quickly to zero when you're attacked.

Fellhuhn and breban1 like this.
  16. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I admit I don't like the press-your-luck mechanic where you have to quit playing or risk losing what you've collected. I don't like retiring in a run rather than seeing how far I can get, but then I'm punished in terms of collecting if I don't.

17. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Now that’s a pretty interesting little information, don’t you think? Also quite important one! I understand it’d be really difficult to address all these advanced game mechanics and hidden features in the help/tutorial section of the game. After all, there are already two tutorials available, right? That’s why I greatly appreciate your interaction with us either here on TouchArcade or Discord. You’re such an exemplar developer, @Fellhuhn and I just wanted to say: Thank you!

Fellhuhn likes this.
  18. breban1

Possible bug? I could be wrong, but I think when I kill a boss near or at the bottom of the board, I don't get a special item: chest, tentacle, etc.

19. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    I had to reinstall the app for the update. Now it is impossible to remove the ads. When I click on restore purchases, nothing happens and when I click on Yes, I get a message that I have already paid but the ads keep popping up.

20. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #60 macplash, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    @Fellhuhn I went through patch notes carefully but didn’t find any mention of it. Did you make any changes to gameplay as well? Because suddenly the game feels more difficult. Much more difficult to be more specific. I’m getting a lot of skull enemies at early stages. They’re casting a fear at me preventing me to attack immediately so my sneak attack skill is totally useless. In combination with other enemies like Necromancers I’m getting annihilated fairly quickly, during first 3-4 waves even (playing on Hard of course, but I’m playing like this from the beginning).

I didn’t pick up any quest causing this sudden change. I’m not experimenting with different classes either. I started playing the day one and played daily. This is the first time I’m experiencing this. And it’s not because I have unlocked something along the way as I’m on 100% completion for days now.

So, be honest with me!;) What did you do?:cool:

EDIT: OH, I’M AN IDIOT! NEVERMIND... screenshot added for explanation

Attached Files: