Universal TripTrap - (by Duello Iletisim Hizmetleri A.S.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 22, 2014.

1. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    #41 saosijs, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    Must be GC synch issue, for me they work. Though officially I cannot be sure I unlocked that K-6 puzzle mode badge with that same K-6 level, because I don't see the achievement notifications with this game for some reason (iPad2, latest iOS6). And I have golden gated most K levels now.

BTW, I triple golden gated puzzle K-19. Three jumps left, but it didn't really render more points than a single gate: 8068 points :(

2. TastyTadpoles

TastyTadpoles Well-Known Member

Trip Trap is a really really nice concept! Creating a simple to learn but complex to play mechanic that is unique on the store these days is not an easy thing to do, but I think they've done a great job of it. Definitely recommend this one guys!!

3. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I've just submitted an update that fixes the iCloud issue. Hopefully it'll be available in the coming week.

@saosijs
    I also fixed a glitch in the scoring and adjusted it slightly, so the scoring will make more sense now, and you'll get some extra points if you make even less jumps than are required for getting a golden gate (before this, you got the maximum amount of points whether you made the number of jumps required for a golden gate or fewer)

@Matt33
    I really can't think of anything that would help.. Maybe log out and back into Game Center?

@lena
    If you enter options and then the game progress menu, it forces a synch of some achievements, that might help you

@TastyTadpoles
    Thanks!
    And I was meaning to mention this here again.. The inspiration for the puzzle mode in TripTrap came from TastyTadpoles (I just noticed our T's rhyme in a sense :)
    TastyTadpoles is a very good puzzle game as well, I would recommend checking it out - after finishing TripTrap of course!

4. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Something weird is going on with Game Center. When I check my achievements on the main page of GC it shows my point total for this game, but if I click on the game to see which achievements I have it says I have zero. Tried logging out of GC completely and tried to force the game to sync by going into the options screen, then game progress, but still shows zero achievements. This is the only game doing this...

5. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    It's unfortunate to see that on the Kitchen Puzzle mode leaderboard, the IAP-ers start to show up. That is the mode where the game is not forgiving and to finish, people start buying their way out with helmets, "accidentally" getting higher scores than "us". And by that I mean us TA-ers who solve the puzzles properly with our minds and not our wallets :). See how we cluster around 164k points, which probably is close to the theoretical maximum helmet-free score and then there are five random players way above that.

6. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Well I think I let the leaderboard as it is, it's just as Lena said the game is just great on it's own figuring out the puzzles. Sometimes I don't know what I like more the leaderboard or the actual game, with this game it's the game I really like and the leaderboard is a bonus.

7. limbo

limbo Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Cool. Game

8. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Much appreciated! Maybe it is nice to have a "total points" leaderboard that will be the first one in the games' list of leaderboards (the first is the most important one in GC). And on this "grand total" leaderboard hopefully the players that use helmets will be averaged down to lower rankings.

By the way, more triple golden gates in the making (Puzzle level
    2-3
    ).
    Spoiler alert for watching the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=PIXi7mve2pI
    (the sound is a bit delayed, but Reflector gives my clunky Atom processor a hard time)

9. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Thank you! To be honest, I don't think I'll get all those achievements myself, but I did find it a lot of fun to golden gate the kitchen levels (some of the last ones were really puzzling for me - I was sure it wasn't possible until I figured it out) and was a bit surprised that in a game with so many achievements there wasn't any for that. As others said, currently the leaderboards are not a good measure of anything with the helmets, so then tough achievements can make up for that. I am pretty sure some of the hardcore gamers here on TA will like going for all the golden gates.

10. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Some great levels you guys made, I see that sales of the game are way better at start than BELLYFISH hope it will be a million seller, it is hard to achieve that nowadays on the App Store but the game has the quality to do it, fingers crossed.

11. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Hear, hear! All those cats in the Living Room had me laugh. I even started looking for a cat lady!

And I see you passed me in the Living Room. I got some work to do!
    (I have to ask, just a formality, I'm sure, helmet-free score? :D)

12. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    #52 ROGER-NL, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    I played Living Room Helmet free, but in Kitchen room level 20 I used a helmet because I just got them for free, You can shoot me now or call me a cheater but the game does it SORRY, Ha Ha. I don't personally mind that people use helmets, I am more against hackers hate them. Skilled people are always in the top wether you use helmets or not. Using helmets it's the only fault this game has, but it's a choice of the developers, they need to eat to.

I also bought 50 helmets for 3,59 Euros because I got a promo code and I want nothing for free, and I wanna support this awesome DEV. so there you go, what should I do with those 50 Helmets let them be or use them, when people pass me on the leaderboard with thousands points more I might use them my self. Normally I don't cheat but the game gives it to you.

In LITLLE LUCA I could not cheat but I am no:3 on that game so it's the game who lets you cheat.

13. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Just finished the second room. Enjoying the game so far. Agree with some commenters that it's a shame leaderboards are a little meaningless as you can easily get higher scores with the helmets.

I also don't get why puzzle mode needs to be a separate mode with separate leaderboards, as the scoring is exactly the same for both modes. You can tell if you've beaten par for the level in casual mode anyway by the amount you were scored for jumps at the end of the level.

I would prefer it if it was more like crown mode in Pudding Monsters - it doesn't tell you the target scores until you complete the world, but if you've beaten the target before completing the world, it remembers it.

These minor issues aside though, it's an easy recommendation.

14. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Fair enough. I am worried about iOS gaming. Not in general, but about my (our) type of game, like TripTrap; they seem doomed to vanish, exactly because it is very hard to make money from this type of game. Well, this is already an "old" and familiar discussion unfortunately. Let's not go there too much here.

I too vote with my money. Buy the game or throw some money at it by some IAP. In this case, the helmets could open up a whole new game mode, so it might be fun too to explore that. Let's approach it positively like that ;)

15. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Ufa! For the Living Room I had to squeeze every point out of every level. But I did it and no helmet points so far :cool:

16. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I am really surprised that the leaderboards actually are ruined with the helmets. I figured they would mostly be used by people who suck at the game and use the helmet to just finish a level, but I guess not.

I finished all the levels now. First three rooms were easy to 3-star in casual mode, but puzzle mode is way more challenging on many levels. Last room was challenging enough to complete in casual mode. I like that it is often still easy to finish a room with zero cheeses, so that you can continue to the next level. This game really does have a lot of potential to be a casual gaming hit, I hope it will do well.

17. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I think we want to keep the "cheese stash" as the top leader board (the game is all about cheese after all!), but cumulative score leader boards right after that is a good idea, I've added it to my to do list for the next update (which is better do you think - one for puzzle mode and one for regular mode, or one for both combined?)

By the way, sound delay aside, I'm surprised at how well Reflector worked for that video.. I've tried similar things trying to get a gameplay video (I think I had tried Reflector as well), but there was always a lot of stutter in the video. Is your setup all wireless?

So far, it's indeed doing better than Bellyfish.. Hopefully that will continue once Apple's features are over as well. I can't say exact numbers, but still a long, long way to being a million seller though :)

Well.. Our thinking is, in this kind of game, the vast majority of people won't bother with scores and at best try to 3-cheese the game.. And for most people it's really difficult to do that even with unlimited jumps. So the puzzle mode is an extra level of difficulty after the players get practice in the regular mode. The other option we were thinking about was to make the game playable in either mode from the start, but then decided this was a cleaner way to do the puzzle mode.
    I guess you're right that the scores from both modes could be in the same leader board (though maybe this way pushes more people to play the puzzle mode? Judging by the Game Center rankings, comparatively very few people seem to play the puzzle mode as it is)

18. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Thanks for approaching it positively :D

A few levels in the last room are indeed very difficult to complete with a golden gate (we even made solution videos of a few of them, to release if people asked for a solution). But do finish the room, because a new one is coming :) (it's close to being done, but we haven't decided on when to release it)

19. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Seeing the number of players on the leaderboards, only about 5% of the gamers playing "Casual", plays the puzzle mode. That is a very low number. Just playing the dead simple Kitchen puzzle mode Level 1 would already give you a score and presence on the puzzle leaderboard ... Conclusion is that people simply are not discovering that this mode exists? The UI should be changed/improved on this point (for me it was no problem, but the numbers tell otherwise for most players)

I'd say a combined leaderboard (total of all casual+puzzle). Funny, I was thinking as the "cheese stash" as a progress indicator, not as a leaderboard :) The first leaderboard is the one that shows in GC game overview pages and with the cheese stash it shows how far you are in the game, not how good you are (is what I'd like to see there). But I can understand that the cheese stash could better stimulate people to actually play. Anyway, it is your game to decide! :)

My Reflector setup is all wireless yes, for both my netbook and obviously my iPad2. I blame my netbooks weak Atom processor for the sound delay (the CPU is going 100% when recording, so something has to give). See also this article: iOS Gameplay Recording Guide - Both Hardware and Software Solutions for Posting Your Video Clips (it was this one that pointed me to Reflector).

20. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    And who do we see hacking again? See Kitchen leaderboard... Our pet "smart" hacker is showing #1 with 1 point more than #2. I bet he tried to put in 481 on the cheese stash leaderboard and failed wahahwa :D