Tried the new Apple in-ear headphones?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Renare, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Renare

Renare Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Tech Support
    Wilmore, KY
  2. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Nope, But I have a friend who said they were worth the money...
    I don't use headphones enough to justify a purchase...

3. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    This is interesting, I was just considering getting a pair of those today.. I have an iPhone 3G and I read that they do not work appropriately on the iPhone.. the volume buttons and mic don't work? I'd rather trust users on this forum though, so hopefully those negatives are rumors at this point?

Note: I've gone through Shures, V-Moda, Bose, and numerous stock headphones, and so these will probably be my next adventure.. My V-Moda's just broke yesterday, so that's why i'm considering a new pair. I got those because they were solidly constructed, but in the end it made no difference as they've broken only about 6 months after i bought them... good waste of $100

4. Renare

Renare Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Tech Support
    Wilmore, KY
    Yeah, I have heard about the incompatibility issues as well.. The last one I saw (somewhere on macrumors.com) was that all the features except for the volume controls worked for the iPhone 3G. However, I do find it really odd that they would come out with something like this and not make it compatible with the iPhone... :)

5. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    I think I'm going to pick up a pair. Does any of it work on the 1st generation iPod touch? If not, I'll just use it with the iPhone.

6. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    #6 Kuratsu, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  7. McChikun

McChikun Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/apple-in-ear-headphones/4505-7877_7-33255274.html?tag=mncol;lst

There's a pretty good review by the authorities on gadgetry.

I'm curious as to their actual sound quality. I have a pair of Apple in-ear headphones (prior to the addition of the mic and remote), and while they're certainly a step up from the stock earbuds, their audio quality is definitely lacking, at least compared to my Grado SR60s and Bose in-ear headphones (both of which are around the new in-ear headphones' price range, at $70 and ~$100).

I'm definitely tempted by these headphones - the remote seems useful, and having a mic right on my headphones would be useful for one-the-go music-making with Fourtrack or Beatmaker. The only thing is, chances are my Bose in-ear headphones have better sound quality, and these babies have a great warranty.

8. The Lab

The Lab Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Utah
    Apple Byte reviewed the headphones and said they don't work with the iPhone. Apparently the explanation from Apple was that since the iPhone as volume control already on the device the headphone feature wasn't necessary. I find that to be really illogical but Apple does do that sometimes...

9. Renare

Renare Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Tech Support
    Wilmore, KY

I could be wrong, but I believe these headphones are completely different from their earlier counterparts. I believe in addition to the mic/remote, they also have 2 drivers in each earbud... I don't know if the original had those or not.

However, after seeing some of the different reviews, I am still just as confused as before. Different sources seem to be stating that different functions do/don't work from what other reviews are saying. Maybe I will just have to break down and buy a pair to see what works and doesn't work....

10. I find that very illogical too. I mean the 2G Touch has volume control on the side too, yet these are supposed to work with them, so why not the iPhone?
    I certainly hope they do work with the 2G Touch, because I am getting a pair of these for Xmas. I already have a pair of Shure single drivers, and find they excel at clarity but lack 'oomph'. I am hoping these dual driver bad boys will knock it's socks off.

11. odelay

odelay Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    OK people, I bought these for my 3g iPhone last week after having the Etymotic HF2s which broke on me :(

First off, all the features of the remote work apart from volume control. So when listening to music, you can play/pause with one click, skip forward with two clicks and skip backward with three clicks. When a call comes in, you can accept with one click and end the call with two clicks. And the mic DOES work, and very well at that.

Regarding the sound quality, you cannot compare with previous Apple headphones, as these are quite a few steps up. Sound quality is very impressive considering the relatively low cost of them. Although the bass is not as good as my HF2s, for me they compare very favourably in every other regard, with crisp and clear mids and highs.

Listening to music is a very personal thing, and we can all have different opionions and demands when it comes to buying headphones. I'm no audiophile, but I'm very picky about sound quality. Having owned and lost :( a pair of Shure SE530s, which nothing else has compared with in terms of sound quality, these were simply the best, but at their high price I couldn't justify taking the risk a second time. So I downgraded to the HF2s, which were actually not that far behind imo. Unfortunately, the long straight jack connector broke and they would only work intermittently after that. My Grado SR60s are wonderful for listening to music at home, but they are not exactly portable, in terms of size or sound isolation. So I had to get a new pair for my commute, but didn't want to spend so much this time, which is why I thought I'd give the new Apple ones a shot. And I'm really pleased that I did, they're very well made, look cool, and most importantly, sound great. I think they're great value at £54 compared to the £98 HF2s or higher end Shure models.

12. Thanks Odelay. Re-assures me I've got something to look forward to at Xmas ;)

13. Had these bad boys for Xmas and all I can say is WOW! These knock the socks off my Sure's. I can't remember the model of the Shure's- I have had them ages (I just remember spending £150 on 'em!). All I know is they use single drivers which have plenty of clarity but lack the oomph with the bass response.
    These Apple dual driver 'phones are fantastic in comparison. Now I have the bass as well as the clarity. Everything I listen to seems new again. Even the case is nice. The triangle shape allows for the remote to always fold into one of the sides as you wrap it round, and the end connection always fits in with the headphones in the middle.
    They are easier to fit into my ears than the Shure's too, and easily fill my ear canal for superb isolation. Just the ticket when you've had enough of your missus' moaning.
    Love 'em!

14. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    I bought these the other day, and i'm very happy so far.. the remote control is handy for listening to music on the comp, and the sound quality is great too..

I had some Shures, and they hurt my ears.. so did the Vmodas... these are fantastic and even after many hours of listening, they are the most comfortable in ear headphones i've tried.

the bass isn't as great, but i'm fine with that, i think they are very well rounded, and a pretty good price too $80 compared to $100 for the Vmodas i had for example...

15. rumani

rumani New Member

Sep 7, 2009
  16. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    i hate apple headphones. they're cheap quality :(

well, at least the ones that come with ipods....

17. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    informative

18. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Old thread, but these earphones are pretty good. However not good enough for what Apple is asking for them.

I got a pair off Ebay for about 45 bucks, brand new.