Universal Trials Frontier - (by RedLynx)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 11, 2013.

1. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    That's pretty much my thinking as bike baron is as good as this but with the freedom to play when you like.
    This will be good for a play now and then but bike baron is still the best overall.

2. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Your post kind of makes me sad, and it really sums up where we are now, as opposed to where we once were...

Anyone who knows your iOS gaming tastes and posting history knows that you would have thrown a pile of money at this game without even thinking about it, and yet you're in a situation where you're not able to play and feeling frustrated by wait timers...

I guess developers must be making money doing this stuff, but it sure feels cynical... like some developers are actively attempting to set up the whole, "If you really want to play more..." dynamic. Sad.

As you said, it's not even really complaining, per se. I mean, the game is free. I just can't help wondering if my nightmare, "iPhone 6, now with coin slot" scenario is already upon us...

Thanks for the impressions. ;):)

DBC

3. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    For 99% of games with timers I never see them as an issue. If I have 5 minutes to play a game while waiting in line or whatever, iPhone is great. Timer? OK, cool. It'll be 30 minutes before I can pick up the phone again, so whatever. Energy refilled. The amount of times I would actually play an iPhone game for more than 2 hours straight? I can think of only one - The Room. That just NEVER happens for me. I am a 50-hour a week professional with a 1.5 hour drive both ways and a 4 year old, so my time to game is precious and limited... but for me, if I have more than 20 minutes to play a game, I load up Dark Souls. If I have 5 minutes to play, I load up Avengers Alliance (timers), Pocket Miner (timers), Simpsons Tapped Out (the other kind of timers) or QuizUp (tiny short play, no timers). I have no clue what the complaint about "running into timers" is really all about. Maybe people just spend too much time playing something that's meant to be a fleeting distraction as if it is an 80-hour epic?

EDIT: (of course games like Batman Arkham Origins, which limits you to like 5 matches for 5 hours of wait, is an extreme exception)

4. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Great imps monkey. I feel the exact same way. I am living everything about this game except the timers. I've been waiting for this game to come out what seems like forever now. I've played the hell out of HD and Evolution for hours at a time. I would be the same way here if it wasn't for the timers. I will say the having a little story is kind of a nice change.

5. Drummerboycroy

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Very similar lifestyles, minus the kid, plus two dogs, and only (ONLY? lol) an hour each way, but for me, timers are very much an issue.

Primarily because they limit my play-time "in the moment," but in SUBSTANTIALLY larger part for exactly the reasons you say they don't affect yours.

If I have an hour, a minute, ten minutes, or ten hours to actually squeeze in some "me time," running into a timer essentially means deletion within the next 24 hours.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING ruins a game like firing it up to sneak in some play only to be met by an unexpired timer. Consider yourself blessed that the longest you've had to wait is 30 minutes. I'm stubbornly clinging to a game at this very moment with a 2+ hour wait-time.

Glad to hear it works so well for you, but considering how precious and valuable my time is, I simply cannot afford to keep games around when they don't even seem interested in having me play them.

DBC

6. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.

That's kind of the same with me. I have so many games I'm playing that have timers. I have a wife and 2 kids, so my game time is usually in short bursts in between family chaos and if by chance the wife and kids are gone and I have the house to myself, I have a backlog of console games that I go to. Although i DO hate timers, it's not really that bad for me unless I'm really liking a game (like this one) and want to play more and can't. The way the market has changed with everything going F2P, has kind of worked out for me IMO. I have gotten a TON of great titles that I would have paid for, for free and my gameplay hasn't changed for the most part. I would have been playing games like RR3 or whatever in short 5-10min sessions anyway. I'm not saying that I'm happy with how the market is right now, just that it's worked out in my favor for the most part.

Sorry, didn't want to turn this thread into a F2P rant. Lol

7. Drummerboycroy

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Agreed. Frankly, I wouldn't have bothered until I got to the, "I have no clue what the complaint about "running into timers" is really all about," part.

DBC

8. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Lol, there definitely needs to be a forum all on its own for people to duke it out or rant about freemiun, F2P, whatever.....unless there already is one.

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Downloaded, but before i started it, i read here there are timers. Deleted. I have a lot of good premium games to keep me busy i don have to bother with a timer-infested freemium.

10. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I've started using these F2P games as fillers, I'll do a mission on space hulk or something then have a quick play on trials or monster crafter etc.

11. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Actually it's more like GT racing 2
    How do you make text bold?

12. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    You don't need the first / that you put in or you press the B button up in the top left hand corner when your typing.

13. Drummerboycroy

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Or we could all learn to allow for the discussion of all the features of a game, like adults would... ;)

DBC

14. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Good 2 have all continents account except antarktis..

15. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I'm really hoping that this gets hard soon, as so far it's just easy style race levels and not very trials'ish at all.
    I'm hoping there's some hard and extreme tracks at some point, I'm one blue print away from unlocking the third bike and so far it's a walk in the park, all that's stopping me is the energy timer.

16. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    The first step is admitting you have a problem.

Attached Files:

17. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    If it's out in NZ shouldn't it also be out in Australia? :/ Oh well.

18. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    It's only out in Canada I think.

This game is gorgeous enough to make me wanna keep it despite being freemium.

19. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Okay, so I played the game for a while...

This will be more of a rant about this genre than a direct review. To put it bluntly, after playing Trials HD on the 360 the bar was raised to an orbit just outside Neptune. How many of 'these types of games' do we see a month for iOS? Ten? Twenty? More?

Here's the thing. There is no reason that RedLynx couldn't have DIRECTLY PORTED the original Trials HD to iOS by now. Controls are not the problem or excuse. All of these clones, homages, ripoffs, etc, etc, they sometimes come close but in the end they all fail miserably. I am not saying that this game is a bad game, in fact it is a pretty good game. It had a great engine, crazy smooth graphics, and awesome physics. So... Why does it have to be so IRRITATINGLY SLOW? Who do they keep marketing these games for, anyway? Elderly people with neurological disorders? Doesn't anyone get it? Have none of these developers actually PLAYED Trials HD?!

I can't tell you not to play this game (when you can), it is a very solid effort with meat on the bone and for people who thought Bike Baron was the ultimate motorcycle physics platformer, well, you will enjoy this game for sure. But I have to ask you people as well - have you not played Trials HD?

We have the hardware to do this genre RIGHT. The right game could rake in a zillion dollars. Instead the clones march into the marketplace week after week and they seem to be getting slower, more sedate, more... Well, it just isn't any fun to putt along at rascal speeds.

I weep for anyone who didn't have back spasms from the stress of passing the expert levels in Trials HD. It remains the most uniquely exquisite torture a human being can suffer in a videogame. Sure, you can get the sweats and near infarctions playing hardcore games like 14px, Critter Panic or Slayin, but those pale to the suffering and agony of Trials HD. If you never played it, get a 360 and correct that issue with all due haste. In the meantime, these games seem to want to dance to a 'casual gamer' beat... why.

20. jenkki

jenkki Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2010
    RedLynx
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback and observations about our game so far.

One thing I would like to stress is that this is a soft launch -- and a proper one at that. We are not going to just release the game globally next week or the week after that... the release date is still 2014.

We will be looking at what players do in the game, we will be looking at feedback on this forum, other forums, our own forums, and other venues. We will read previews and reviews and over all we will listen and pay attention. This is not the final version of the game, it is a soft launch, and more features, changes and fixes of course are planned before the final launch.

Regarding the free-to-play vs. premium debate, I agree it's maybe beyond the scope of this thread :)

But thanks to all who have tried and given feedback and if you did download it but didn't try it because of something you may have read, please reconsider and give it another try.

Thanks!