Universal TreasureHunter by R.Garfield

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Nov 11, 2016.

1. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    I saw a video in youtube regarding the expansions but he said that these werent so great. They are not essential to the main game. As it is, it has good balance and some cards from the expansion just replace the old ones and bring some new but not groundbreaking. It's not like the expansion of Lords of Waterdeep with the corruption, which changes the whole gameplay!

I miss music. :-( I hope developers will add it. It's so dull without..

2. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Thanks for the info on the dlc.

Think it took me about 10-15 mins to play through once I got my head around the mechanics - might have been a bit longer but didn't time myself so not sure. You basically play through the same game 3 (or was it 5?) times and at the end, your totals are added up - a bit like Reiner Knizia's Mafia I guess.

Not sure about the quit and resume, didn't try it. Will take a look later and let you know.

3. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

Thanks for checking. Nkarafo had different feedback on the expansion, so I'd also take that in consideration.

Nkarafo: slight tangent, but what Waterdeep expansions would you recommend, which ones adds the corruption?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. nkarafo

Mar 2, 2011

I recommend skullport (from waterdeep). Please see any review first in YouTube before you buy it because I don't know if you will like it too.

5. Unseen Studios

Unseen Studios Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    UK
    You can't quit a game (as in fully close the game) and resume. You can resume a game (local only I am assuming) you have in progress only if it has stayed alive in multitasking.

6. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

Oh :/ thanks. That's unfortunate.

7. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Bought the game. Running it on iPad Mini 2 with latest production iOS.

Run the tutorial without problem, the tutorial gives you everything basic, that's all.

The game is short, you have five rounds to play. Each round consists of drafting the cards from hand of each player. You draft one card and pass along to another player and so on until all cards are drafted. Then you play the "adventurer"cards by colours, blue first, green second and red last. Then the total number on the "adventurer" cards played are totaled. By comparing the numbers of each player of the colour in play, the highest score and the lowest score player will get the corresponding "treasures" of that colour. The tricky thing is, high score price does not necessary means it is better. Player without any colour card in question does not participate. Also, if the player has special cards that draw more card, increase or decrease his/her score, the player can play before the colour is resolved.

After all three colours are played, then it comes to the goblin "combat" phase, there are 3 goblin cards to defeat, by playing the "dog" cards. The player can also play a special card to avoid the goblins. If the player does not have sufficient dog cards or has no special card mentioned, the player loses money. The player who defeats most of the goblins are noted by the number of goblin cards defeated and takes any money comes with the card.

Then the player can cash in any money cards, or use any "treasure" card which can be redeemed. After that the game goes to another round.

When all five rounds are completed, the number of money, value of "treasures" obtained, number of goblins defeated and so on are summed up as score. The player with highest score win.

The gameplay is simple to learn and it is very addiciting.

There are 2 IAP, the Band of Goblins costs US$.099 and gives you more goblins to handle with; the other Goblin's Loot costs US$1.99 and gives more adventurer cards, more coins, adventurer cards with dogs, stronger dogs, and other new cards.

However:

First there is no in-game manual

Second the cards have not description and it takes time to understand what some means

Also, I encounter bugs which forbids me to draft a card, and another bug which prevents me from playing a card. I can get around the latter by quitting, and killing the app and try again.

No crash unless I click on the description dialogue of the IAP description...

I have yet to test multiplayer, and by then, I shall report back.

8. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    Thank you very much for this extensive explanation!

9. nkarafo

Mar 2, 2011
    Thanks @currymutton

10. jackiemac

jackiemac Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 19, 2009
    Thanks very much currymutton for the gameplay!

I hope the devs address the bugs soon!

11. liukko

liukko Member

Nov 11, 2016
    looks promising!
    hope the bugs get fixed soon :\

12. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

Thanks. I liked Waterdeep but had heard that some expansions added some more depth to the game, so I was curious.

@currymutton: so, could you quit the app and resume the game?

@Unseen Studios: it seems two people have now gone through the tutorial. May be worth detailing where's exactly you're getting stuck - maybe there's a trick or something that others may share?

Cheers.

13. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Just bought the game and played some games after the tutorial.
    So far I'm liking it a lot, shines with 4 opponents I think.

The dev told me the multiplayer is async via Twitter.
    I registered and tried to have some games going but nobody accepted so far, or I'm doing something wrong.
    There is no music and the multiplayer is done after you register in a German only website, but other than that the app seems very well done.

I'm still learning what some cards EXACTELY do and how you cash in artifacts, but if anyone want to invite me I'm Pitta in the game.

14. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Is anybody clear on how the Dogs vs. Goblins stage works? Like if I only had 1 3 strength dog, which therefore was as tough as the toughest goblin, would I be safe from being pilfered or are we comparing my dogs' combined strengths vs. the goblins' combined strengths?

15. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    #35 currymutton, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    With no manual, my guess is: the total strength of the dog cards are compared, the player with highest score, is checked against each goblin card. If more than one player has the same high score, the "quality" of the dogs are taken into account.

If the score is bigger (or equal to?) the goblin, the goblin is defeated and is added to the kill score, along with the coins on it. If not, the card is sent back to the draw pile, along with any coin on it.

If the player does not have the total score to defeat one or more goblin card, the player loses coin according amount listed on the card.

Multiplayer, after much confusion in assigning password, I finally goes on line and my handle is "currymutton05".

However, whenever I try to search a game, or start(?) my own game using advanced, and after I sent an invitation, the game crashed back to desktop...

On another try of "creating" my game, the games seems to wait for players to join in, which is no good...

More later.

Update: the game says I have 2 active games "waiting" but when I click on the button to view them, the list is empty, blank. And some time, I get message written in German. This game really needs more polishing.

16. nkarafo

Mar 2, 2011
    Any news developers regarding the issues, music, etc ?

17. Luci0

Luci0 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2016
    I notice this game was just updated .. looks ok but I would like to know off the issues are resolved before I spend money on this

18. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Patched, since I never experience crash during play, I find no crash so far. Unable to select a card/draft a card does not happen either (touch wood). But you still get no description of how some yellow cards work; not to mention that you still need to keep the app up and running in order to get a multiplayer game running. If MP is your life, you may wish to wait and see.

19. nkarafo

Mar 2, 2011
    Do they add any music to it? I believe music is very important to a video game together with graphics - presentation. Many ios board games have music, e.g. Lords of Waterdeep, Neuroshima Hex, Bang!, Ticket to Ride, Splendor, etc.