Travelling to The Cult of Brad: A Minecraft Journal

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Retronator, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Retronator

Retronator Active Member

It's been months since I've settled in the jungle near the spawn desert. I spent my first night on top of the tallest tree around and I've soon decided to build a tree house as my first shelter.

[​IMG]

After learning the basics of mining and crafting I embarked on a quest to build a pyramid, but I would soon find out the gigantic scale (and over-ambitiousness) of what I envisioned:

[​IMG]

That's how big the title in front of it is:

[​IMG]

So trying to complete the pyramid got really old really fast and one day a voice from a guy called Lithofile was heard through the Nether. He told me of this place called The Cult of Brad, so mysterious and so far away that it wasn't even on the map anymore. I knew it was time to pack my inventory and go on an adventure to far away lands.

He told me to take many boats as my journey would stretch many oceans. At first I passed by my neighbor's pirate ship ...

[​IMG]

... and he's also got this badass skeleton statue on top of his house!

[​IMG]

That's his place on the map:

[​IMG]

I soon reached a stretch of land where I spent the first night. Next to my shelter was a giant plan for a city with nothing but the foundations laid down:

[​IMG]

Another ocean crossing later and I reached my first village.

[​IMG]

The night was spent carefully scouting the streets with my bow and arrows.

[​IMG]

The third day was full of surprises. First, I ran into a bed in the middle of the ocean!

[​IMG]

And of course I drew it in on my map for future travels:

[​IMG]

It was too early to sleep so I decided to push on. When the night crept in I reached the cliffs with some nasty creatures of the night:

[​IMG]

They didn't look to pleas-s-s-s-s-ed to see me so I quickly paddled my boat forward. When the morning came I reached the end of the ocean. I was already out of the existing maps, but the many boats parked there gave me hope that I was on the right track.

[​IMG]

I had to continue on foot but a welcome sign awaited me on the next shore:

[​IMG]

The night couldn't have come faster when I bumped into cliffs bigger than anything I've seen before. Or didn't see because the night was almost pitch black.

[​IMG]

I had to mine a tunnel in one of the sides and await the morning scared of falling into the depths below. If that wasn't enough, I had an uninvited visitor come by:

[​IMG]

The morning served more amazing views of the canyon:

[​IMG]

Not far now! Lithofile's voice was heard closer as I traveled through the forest on the outskirts of The Cult.

[​IMG]

FINALLY, THE CULT!

[​IMG]

My new friend took me on a tour around the streets of the settlement ...

[​IMG]

... and showed me his house, carved into the side of the cliff! My eyes have never seen anything so spectacular.

[​IMG]

I've seen magic circuits that made music ...

[​IMG]

... and a sunset that made me feel warm as when I was looking at this star from my jungle home.

[​IMG]

I decided to stay at The Cult for a while and build my home away from home ...

2. Retronator

Retronator Active Member

Hey guys!

So I’ve been playing on the Touch Arcade server since I bought the game a month or two ago. Yeah, very late to the party, boy was I missing out!

The word on the street (or the Podcast :)) is that the server will be restarting so I wanted to take a couple of shots to remember my first piece of Minecraft ‘architecture’. It’s the First Crescent house by SAOTA (Stefan Antoni Olmesdahl Truen Architects). In real life it’s built in Camps Bay, South Africa, but here it’s blocked out as my house at The Cult of Brad in the game. :)

Hope the images aren't too huge - it breaks the layout of the forum a little, sorry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Lithophile

Lithophile Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Geologist
    NZ
    It is me! the hallowed Ltihofile

Hello! I am lithofile. I taught Retro everything he knows. Even game dev IRL.

Some jerk had taken lithophile in Minecraft so I was stuck with Lithofile. Sub-par.

Anyways, pictures!
    Pulled from http://pedologist.tumblr.com/post/26825638913 Sorry about the odd sizes

[​IMG]

This used to be a sweet statue. I might try and repair it before the server reset.

[​IMG]

The evil overlords of sci-fi keep a careful eye on the cult

[​IMG]

Inside my glass grotto carved into the cliffs. Complete with running water, just hit the switch.

[​IMG]

What great items live inside the chest?

[​IMG]

NIGHT TIME BETTER SLEEP RIGHT!
    ####ing Creepers

4. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    this is beautiful. no need to go outside of TA to do sightseeing!

5. Retronator

Retronator Active Member

I've noticed you updated the Grotto since I've crashed at your place when I first arrived at the Cult. When I was going to the top of the cliff to make the screenshots I used your back door to reach it. :D Saw the waterfalls, the torches and you've got shrooms in the bedroom? Hehehe.

Did you also repair some of the other buildings around the Cult? And built the subway system to the farm?

Anyone else playing on the server?

6. joshthor

joshthor New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Hopefully I will be playing there soon. right now im invincible just running around. i fell in a hole full of lava and cant get out :/

7. jaze

jaze Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Is all this made with minecraft pocket edition, the iOS version?

8. Retronator

Retronator Active Member

I don't know if pocket edition client can get on normal servers, but I'd guess most of us play this on desktops.

9. Namu

Namu Active Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Wow, what an adventure! Makes me want to get on Minecraft for the first time in forever.

10. Lithophile

Lithophile Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Geologist
    NZ
    Yeah the grotto was always a work in progress. I did a bunch of repair jobs on some old run down buildings, filled in creeper holes and built the subway. I had grand plans of an epic subway system but it took more work than I was keen to put in.

I had a wee bed glitch and now I am back at the spawn. Not a big deal with the reset coming soon.

11. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Wait, Touch Arcade has a Minecraft server?... I feel dumb for not knowing that. Normally just host my own server and play adventure maps with friends. Survival almost always turns into extended goofing off sessions. Especially when you let your friends be OPs. Then it basically turns into a game where you see how much TNT it takes to crash the server :rolleyes:. I've played on other peoples servers- like big community servers, but they're often too crowded (or full of 'griefers').

12. Retronator

Retronator Active Member

#12 Retronator, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
    You too? Ha, I made a bed with half blocks around it (for good looks :)), but didn't know that makes the bed unusable. Then I fell down the stairs to my death (literally :D) and back at the spawn I was. Luckily I had some stuff back at my pyramid and made a nether portal at the bottom of the quarry. I read that traveling through the nether is 8x faster so I gave that a try.

Boy was that a freaking stressful half an hour of hiding around the wicked landscape. Luckily I survived, found my way to the Cult portal and my diamond stuff was still waiting at the bottom of the stairs. :D

Now I'm planning to do a live stream play where I first show around the place I built at the Cult of Brad and then go back from the Cult to the Spawn through the Nether so I can also record my initial tree house and pyramid before the server restarts. Then at least I'll have this video to remember my first Minecraft experience. :)

13. Indy

Indy Well-Known Member

May 26, 2008
    Hi I'm kind of new to minecraft with a couple of questions.

How do I find the server?

What's with the server's that don't allow you to gather anything, like when you bust a block it just regenerates and I also can't loose health either. Kind of pointless right?

Thanks

14. Retronator

Retronator Active Member

#14 Retronator, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
    You should email podcast at toucharcade and Brad will (eventually) add your username to the allow list.

They plan to reset the server soon (if not already) so don't go too crazy on creating a big castle in there yet. :)

I'll see if the server is still intact today and will probably make a live stream of the place to record most of what has been built on the server.

You can see the map (and address) of the server here: http://toucharcade.minehost.org/

The Cult of Brad is unfortunately beyond the -5000 coordinate limit of the map, so the biggest settlement can only be seen by travelling there (as described in the first post of this topic).

15. Retronator

Retronator Active Member

16. Retronator

Retronator Active Member

#16 Retronator, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    Well, this was a lot of fun (at least for me, maybe a bit less for everyone watching as I've never done video commentary beofre. :)), here's the recording to store at least a little piece of TA Minecraft history up in the cloud. Too bad it seems someone has been playing with dynamite around the cult laterly. :)