iPad Trash It game (Support an indie dev?)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by blt3d, Dec 22, 2008.

1. blt3d

blt3d Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    President/Lead Designer
    Florida
    #1 blt3d, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2008
    If you guys like sidescrollers and wanna support an indie dev:D then check out my first game, Trash it!

2. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

thats nice man!!

Would you make me a custom game?

3. jborislow

jborislow Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    How is there only 5 levels? It seems like it would only take a minute to make a level the way it is set up...

4. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    So it's like line rider only you have to bring the trash to a designated area?

5. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    nice game!!!!

6. ericxd

ericxd Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    1.99 might be overpriced?

7. blt3d

blt3d Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    President/Lead Designer
    Florida
    yeah its a bit like line rider. i really liked the graphical style of it. I plan on adding some more levels in a update as well. The game started at .99 before the update that added newer features.

8. Yeah it does seem a bit over-priced considering you can spent an extra £1 on Motocross, which is the same thing except using a bike and being able to shift your weight on the bike to ride over the bumps and dips on it's 16 levels. Don't get me wrong, as a first game it looks good.

9. idrisguitar

idrisguitar Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    if you really want support as an indie dev you need to make your first app or two at least free.

its decent. but no way in the top two hundred and in that case the only way to build recognition and a following would be to take it slow.

from the gameplayvids 1.99 can be spent better elsewhere without much effort at all.

im not saying give up. just build up, test, and get feedback by giving it for free at first.
    obviously i dont knwo your fianancial situation but you wont get future sales if your are overpricing your early products, which to me, looks VERY incomplete.

10. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I just looks a) short, b) very strange looking, no Line Rider c) overpriced d) no name recognition, so you aren't going to get sales on that.

Thats no recipe for success, so you need to make this free and build up. Advertise, get the name out. Then make good paid apps. This stuff takes time, not rushing to make a quick $1 or 2.

11. idrisguitar

Dec 8, 2008
    exactly.

i dont care if i created an awesome app (if i ever do) if its my first it will be free.

because in the long run you garner more respect, more fans. and therefore more future investment.

and if you get unlucky, hey you still got a good game that lots of people got to try.

oh and as the post below indicates. dont advertise your indie. you will find just about everyone is indie.

12. SudoWorks LLC

SudoWorks LLC Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    90% of the Developers on the App Store are Indie Devs. And we all fight tooth & nail for every sale.

The only way to make it in the current App Store climate is to provide Higher Quality than expected for less money than it's worth.

Plus a little luck helps too. ;)

13. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    Welcome fellow indie developer! Be prepared for lots of opinions about your work and take them all with a grain of salt whether they are positive or negative. If you don't have thick skin you'll have it soon :) Keep it up, and stay positive!

14. blt3d

blt3d Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    President/Lead Designer
    Florida
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. Due to all the lower quality games that are mucking up the App Store (cough..DS Effects) its harder for indie guys to get noticed, let alone make a profit. If you all feel that $1.99 is a bit too much, then I can make changes. :)

15. idrisguitar

Dec 8, 2008
    great response.
    blt3d

you seem open to all suggestion no mater how bad they are and that is what will garner you respect and following.

let me know how your next developement is going and the plans you have for this current game :)

16. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    England
    Hi, is this really like line rider? It's just that the gameplay video didn't show you drawing the lines, so people might think that you simply roll the ball to end. Also what that guy said about offering something for cheap, but when played you think it should be worth more, is a good idea. Then people will overlook minor flaws when rating your app :)

17. blt3d

blt3d Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    President/Lead Designer
    Florida
    Just the look is like line rider. I'm definitely more about getting exposure then getting rich quick. (alittle profit wouldn't hurt tho lol:D). Its' not a problem about lowering the price. I've worked at big gaming companies before (EA) that just ignore the users most of the time. Aren't we suppose to be listening to the fans?

18. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Then free is the way to go. Those 47 people will not matter significantly in the long run. You could reimburse them, or give them a code for your next game, if that is preventing you. If exposure is needed, that the only way.

19. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    England
    Ah, so the 5 levels are drawn out already. Was your video edited? As you seemed to do it fast :O

20. blt3d

blt3d Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    President/Lead Designer
    Florida
    I edited the video to keep it short and to show a peek of each level, rather then an entire play through. I did design it though, so I am rather quick at it lol:)