Universal Traps n' Gemstones (by Donut Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by smes3817, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Rollobobo

Rollobobo Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Takeshi's Castle
    First of all, Donut Games is the king of iOS games. They just know how to make the perfect game for small amounts of time. If you haven't checked out their entire catalog of games, I highly recommend it. Especially Rat on A Snowboard.

Traps n' Gemstones, IMO, is top shelf. It really gives off that "Metroid-vania" gameplay. I love the playability of it and it still holds that signature Donut Games style. I am very excited to see whats next as this new game is fantastic. The game just feels huge and I can't get enough of that style.

Really well done. If you were curious about it, I hope this makes you purchase it. You WILL NOT be disappointed.

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I'm sorry if this has been brought up already, but will a 'continue' feature be added in the future? I was playing last night and hit 2k, but then went to bed. Woke up and the game had reset, so I couldn't keep going with that score...

A continue feature would take care of the one and only 'issue' I've had with this one...

Definitely feel like I underpaid for it... I think $5 would have still felt like a great deal.

And Andy... I'm comin for YOU!!! My world... =oD

3. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Except for exactly what syntheticvoid just pointed out, though I'm not terribly concerned about high scores myself.

4. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #104 nightc1, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    Yeah that's my only major niggle... finding bullets and then having to use them on lesser enemies and stuff when you could have just used the whip if it was possible to switch to it. But I guess that's part of the challenge in memorizing bullet locations and going back for them when facing certain enemies.

EDIT:

A continue feature would be nice. It would also be nice to be able to warp to the beginning of the game upon death. There are a few places I died that required a few too many tries to nail the timing and it would have been nice (especially on a high score run) to just start back at the top of the map.

5. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Oooooo
    Having that option would be awesome... High score runs always start with me going back to the top of the pyramid (worth the 3 coins, IMO... lol).

6. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Having a blast with this.

I have a feature request: I'd like to be able to tap a room on the map and see a picture of it. Really tough to remember where things are when most of the rooms look the same.

7. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    I 2nd the request for MFi. Not that the virtual controls bring down the experience at all (in fact the controls are spot-on, as usual for you guys ### ) .

I also 2nd the notion for a continue. Possibly have a game reset feature S well....not sure how people would feel about that, but it would be nice to start fresh instead of restarting at a frustrating point and continually dying. Or back tracking to end a game and start fresh.

Absolutely awesome game though. Game of the week for sure!!!

8. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    This would rock.

9. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
  10. The Morning Son

The Morning Son Active Member

May 21, 2014
    Sweden
    Yeah, that would be nice.

Haha, loved the part when you finally could pass the guard at the bridge, btw.

11. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

A few extra taps n' swipes needed, but there's a reset button at the bottom of the options list. Not ideal, but you may also not want to accidentally reset your progress.

12. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    I'd love to have a toggle to show where the relic altars are on the map.

13. DonutGames

DonutGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Jul 12, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
  14. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    So I know there a lot of games TA has to sort through on a daily basis, but I'm sure they've noticed this game. Where's the front page coverage this "gem" deserves? Just saying...

15. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    I bought this cause it looked fun. It was fun. I've been sinking tons of hours into it. I deleted my junk jack x estate and was going to build a castle the likes Count Dracula would envy but I got side tracked by this game. All I hear in my head is the Indiana Jones theme song over and over and over when I play. This game captures that movie series more then any games that were actually licensed lol.

I love it. Get it! Super responsive controls and fun stuffs going on!

16. db2

db2 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Michigan, USA
    Have you guys considered a version for 3DS or Vita/PS Mobile? Great indie games like this seem to do well in those storefronts.

17. PengFictionJules

PengFictionJules Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Designer at GameResort
    Claremont, CA
    Fun game, love how it distills Metroid to it's base elements. Good platforming setups and puzzles, some really good traps and surprises. I also enjoy seeing some familiar mechanics expanded and presented in new ways (the arrows / platforms from a sonic 2 boss fight). Both types of spider enemies are well executed (nothing against the rest of the enemies, just liked those best!)

Plenty more good things to say but I'll keep it short :)

18. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
  19. toofinedog

toofinedog Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2013
    There is. A dot appears on the map to show the location of an altar for any unplaced relic you have in your possession.

20. DonutGames

DonutGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Jul 12, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    Just wanted to say that MFi controller support will be added in a future update. Thanks everyone for your feedback on this!

Also, we'll see if we can find a handy way to allow the player to (optionally) warp back to the top of the pyramid, without having to reset the entire progress via Options.

As for the suggestions on manually changing between the whip and the gun. This has already been evaluated during development, but was left out in favor of keeping the controls and GUI as casual as possible. Another upside with this approach is, as nightc1 also mentioned, that it allowed us to strategically put the gun at places to hint the player of nearby enemies or secrets. So we won't make any changes on this.