Universal Traps n' Gemstones (by Donut Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by smes3817, Jul 23, 2014.

1. DonutGames

DonutGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Jul 12, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    #61 DonutGames, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    You can transfer the settings files (using e.g iExplorer) to another device if you think it's worth the hazzle, but there's no iCloud / auto-sync across multiple devices.

2. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    This, by far is my favorite Donut Game! The devs really outdid themselves on this one. I'm loving every minute of it. I highly recommend it to anyone on the fence. I would love to see more of thirst types of games by them.

Another true Donut Gem!

3. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    Love the music too, btw

4. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Ok, I'm just going to put it out there....if Traps n' Gemstones doesn't get GOTW then there's a huge injustice to this indie masterpiece. Yes, I do know MC5 just dropped, but still...

5. Pitch_Blak

Pitch_Blak Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Canada
    Hoping for a launch sale for the Android version too! I feel I'd have a better time with the controls on my Nexus than the iPad.

6. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    If only there were an established label for such a game... :cool:

7. Pitch_Blak

Pitch_Blak Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Canada
    "Metroidvania" still doesn't make much since to me, seeing that Symphony of the Night had the Metroid style to begin with. :p

8. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    That would make sense, since SotN, to my knowledge, is the very game that term was first coined for.

9. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Metroid had it first. Castlevania 2 Simon's Quest had a more open world like Metroid long before Symphony of the Night existed. So it happened before SotN. After SotN though people that liked these open world platformers were content to find a name to define the subgenre... Metroidvania just fit.

There were other games that did the same thing, but nothing as popular as Metroid and Castlevania... especially once SotN and Super Metroid came out.

10. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Do not skip this one due to how awesome MC 5 is... This is everything I'v been looking for in a platformer on iOS! Loving the puzzle elements, exploring and loot!!!! Great week for iOS gaming!

11. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I use the stratus mfi controller and will buy a full size pad when their available.Would love to buy this game if you support the official pads.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm rating this thread 5 stars and is you like this game then leave a review for them on iTunes. More reviews they get the better chance we have of getting a sequel

13. NiceDude

NiceDude Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Yeah I have to leave my review too. This game is so good. I don't even know it was coming out. Talk about a pleasant surprise! This is definitely my favorite game this week

14. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I actually pulled up gamecenter last night and went ahead and gave them a 5 star rating through it. No review yet (as I like to finish a game or at least get many hours in first)... but the 5 stars should be reflected in the appstore listing anyway.

And I want MORE games from Donut Games like this. Sequel or not... just more premium games without iap that have a metroidvania style.

15. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    5 stars for this game!

16. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#76 Anotherkellydown, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    Is that really how it works when you rate a game through The Game Center app? For some reason I don't think so, correct me if I'm wrong, but that would be nice! Of course it's always good to do a short write up on the App Store too.

Edit: Thought I'd add that I'm really having a lot of fun with Traps 'n Gemstones. I can't get enough of the metroidvania gameplay. Wish there were more quality games of this style on the App Store. Thanks so much Donut!

In my first post on this thread I mentioned that I was kinda disappointed that you lose all of your coins when you die. But from what I can tell, they are only used to keep score, not for purchasing anything. So I take that back!

17. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Yep, that's how it works. Just click on the game in game center, touch the 5 star mark and bam... 5 stars. It always takes time between rating a game and it showing on the appstore, but it (in my experience) shows up quicker in the appstore listing by going through gamecenter first. Still a review is better and I'm going to go ahead and do that since all the current scores are reviewless as well ;) .

Oh and 11th on the leaderboard! Dang I hated it when I died, but it was completely new territory and I had survived quite a while. Sorry Adam, Synthetic Void, Brendan & Steven from my GC friendslist :p

Game is just... brilliantly done. Some of the puzzles are some of the best I've seen in a very long time. No spoilers but.. wow. Such a great game. More than worth my $3.

18. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Thanks nightc1, I never knew that. Thought it was just for getting game recommendations.

19. db2

db2 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Michigan, USA
    Only had a chance to put in about 10-15 minutes this morning, but it seems great so far. This looks like the sort of game that would do well on the Vita, maybe in the PS Mobile part of the store (along with other greats like Rymdkapsel and Rock Boshers DX). I'd certainly buy another copy to have on my Vita, at least.

20. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I can see how someone could make that leap. If you go to the appstore after rating a game through game center and try to write a review, the score you put in from GC will show in the review as soon as the box pops up.

As for other platforms, I could see getting this on Steam for a couple bucks. But I'm happy enough having it on my 4S.