Universal Traps n' Gemstones (by Donut Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by smes3817, Jul 23, 2014.

1. r+b

r+b Active Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Is anyone seeing any ratings and reviews come through yet in their local iTunes store?

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    This game is sooo good

3. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I'm at the stage where I really wish there was more guidance on which areas I hadn't found yet. Think I've got about 5 idols left to get and I've not got a clue where they are and I'm basically aimlessly revisiting bits to see if I can find what I've missed.....

4. poopyscoopy81

poopyscoopy81 Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Look at the maps posted on this thread for clues!

5. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Andy's review on the App Store is making me a little hesitant to buy this one. I also have a mini retina and sometimes the transition from full ipad to the mini makes the buttons tiny and out of place. Are they planning on changing or customizing the controls?

6. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    I finished the game last night, a very strong showing from Donut Games, one of my top 3 games of the year so far! (My other 2 favorites being Battleheart Legacy and Leo's Fortune)

A few things I think would have added a bit:
    1. On the mini map, mark the exits as you discover them. I forgot some of the branching pathways after taking one over another, and late in the game I had to run around looking for exits I did see but didn't take and forgot about (I usually play in relatively short bursts)

2. The ending is quite weak in my opinion. Heck, I was waiting for a final confrontation, and to not spoil anything, after not getting much, wasn't even sure if that was the ending.

3. Boss fights could've been a nice addition.

Except that, I had a good time in the pyramid and wish for more quality "metroidvania" games on iOS.

7. r+b

r+b Active Member

Jul 28, 2014
    #207 r+b, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    nvm, was stuck, missed something obvious :rolleyes:

8. db2

db2 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Michigan, USA
    I can't speak to the iPad Mini, but the controls feel fine on my Nexus 7.

9. BohemianCoast

BohemianCoast Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    I have a retina iPad mini and have been *loving* this. No serious control problems, and I am pretty rubbish at platform games. Only at about 86% now and 'pretty stuck'. Because I don't want to look up spoilers.

10. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    USA Appstore is well populated with reviews and scores. Infact my review is the first one on there. :)

I'm pretty sure the dev responded already in the thread that they were looking at improving the controls.

Andy's review also has some false info in it. Mainly the map does indeed show where each treasure you pick up goes. It's not obvious at first but when you have a treasure available to be placed the room it's in gets a little dot in the center of it on the map. So it's very easy to find them. What may be a challenge is figuring out where to go next after all the treasures are placed, but that's kind of a major part of the fun of metroidvania style platformers. You have to figure some stuff out and explore on your own.

To me, the exploration and environmental puzzles are why I play games like this. It's not how much leveling up I need to do or enemy placement as much as exploring and figuring out how to get through an area without dying and also finding all the little secrets.

Considering Andy is ranked 3rd, I'm hanging in there at 4th... and his score is well above mine... that means he managed to use the controls well enough to make a near complete run through the game without dying. So don't let the control complaints dissuade you.

11. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    Trapped

I am "trapped" and cannot play anymore because i die immediately after every respawn. Did anyone else experience this problem, too? What can i do?

I play on iPhone5s

Attached Files:

12. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Have you tried going back to the menu and then starting again? Every time I died on the minecart parts of the game, I started back at the entrance to the room rather than some odd part of the course.

Worst case scenario, you'll have to reset the data in the game by going to Options and scrolling to the bottom and choosing, "Clear Progress". But try going to the menu first and even force closing the game and then return to it and see what happens. Heck, force close it a moment before you die and maybe that'll trigger it to reset back to the beginning of the area.

13. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Yeah, Night is correct. I'm using an iPad Mini 2 and haven't had any control issues. I would have liked an option to move the buttons around, in particular I would have liked to swap the roll and weapon buttons, but once I got used to it it wasn't a problem.

Last I checked there were 12 ratings in the UK App Store with an average of 5/5. And 4 reviews.

14. DonutGames

DonutGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Jul 12, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    Quick question to iCADE USERS:

When jumping, do you use the jump button on the iCade or do you move the joystick up?

15. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    Thank you for your fast reply!
    But restarting the game doesn't help. The problem is the player is a little below the chamber (see screenshot) and after the restart the screen moves a little up and the "game over" message appears.

Resetting the game data would be the last option after getting to 67% by now :eek:

Attached Files:

16. DonutGames

DonutGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Jul 12, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    This issue is already fixed and will be included in v1.01

17. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    Nice .. then i will wait for the update :)

18. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Gonna get this tonite. Looks like a big winner.

19. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Thanks night and Andy. Now this game is an INSTABUY once I get my paycheck or if I can find an old iTunes gift card that I didn't use. :)

20. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Oh wow, yeah I see what you mean. I'm glad DG responded that it's fixed in the update. I'm also double glad I haven't run into that myself!

Happy to help. I hope it's still on sale when you get the cash... though it's certainly worth every dollar they are asking even when it goes to it's full $5 price.