Universal Traps n' Gemstones (by Donut Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by smes3817, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Rohal

Rohal Member

May 11, 2012
    That is one of the best iOS games i ever played!!!
    Thanks for that awesome piece of entertainment.

2. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #182 nightc1, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    I definitely can see a use for a Save/Continue feature. Especially if my battery is near death. But to be fair, I've not had the game close on it's own when I've taken a call or even when I've done other stuff like use my GPS health app when walking. But I wouldn't go start some super memory intensive game while attempting a high score run. But anything else has been fine on my 4S with 6.1.3.

I think the best option is just to post about games like this. Ensure they remain visible for others to see. I'm glad so far that this game has gotten the attention it richly deserves. TA gave it a nod with the game of the week thing... we've unintentially given it a nod by talking about it thus pushing it up the hot topic list. We've also helped by just talking about it so other gamers here have some feedback about just how awesome this game is. Oh and there's posting reviews on the appstore... that helps as well as just buying it so it moves up the charts (currently #66 of all paid apps!!!). It's so nice to be able to talk about a game without first talking about the pay model it's built around. I've already bought one extra game from Donut Games out of gratitude for this fantastic game... I'm buying another later this week.

Maybe the only other thing to do is just show people. I showed my oldest son and he's played the game and thinks it's awesome. Maybe he'll show his friends at band camp this week.

Bug report? (Note possible spoilers)

In the lowest left dark grey section room there's a secret room above it that you take by using an invisible pot launcher thing. Anyway, the first time through... no problem... but trying to return to this secret room requires the game to be quit and restarted (or go kill yourself) as the pot doesn't respawn. Please fix this in the next update.

Edit: Philg posted about the secret room a few pages back that when you fall down you cant' get back up... that's the one I'm also talking about.

3. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Question for Donut Games: is there any way that the active area for the L/R buttons can be made a bit taller, and possible wider for R?

I just died with a score of around 3,000 because I pressed slightly too high. :(

Fantastic game, though.

4. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Finished the story. I really didn't want it to end. I think I'll try to get a better score... and I think I have a few of those hidden symbols to find.

Best platformer (environmental puzzler) that I've played in a very long time.

5. r+b

r+b Active Member

Jul 28, 2014
    I just touched a fair way above both the left and right arrows and still had movement.

From my testing, the touch area seems sufficient.

6. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    It's fairly forgiving, and I'm not saying the controls are bad. The game controls excellently in general but it was enough to finish me off. It's often a problem I find when playing on iPhone and I'm curious if there's a reason NOT to make them bigger.

7. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    This^ +1. My problem though has been with the left arrow, especially when jumping. I'd love an option to resize these or move them to ones liking :)

8. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Just started. Seems good so far. :)
    Metroidvanias seem so rare on iOS. :eek:

It would be nice to keep my score when I continue later, in case the app gets closed from too much memory being taken up. (Someone mentioned this already.)

It would be better if I could just tap anywhere to go to the next dialog box instead of having to reach up and tap the box itself.

9. r+b

r+b Active Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Not sure it has been mentioned, but the trailer is phenomenal. There is just so much packed into this game that even a 15-20 second trailer would look awesome. As I said before, Donut Games will have their work cut out making Game #40 this good.

10. DonutGames

DonutGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Jul 12, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    I'll all that to my todo-list. I have actually already set the active area a bit larger than the graphics itself, but I guess there's no harm in expanding the area even further.

It depends on how you position your fingers on the screen, but yeah, we're aware of it and AFAIK there's nothing we can do about it. :(
    Ever since the "smart-detection-of-accidential-taps" thingy was introduced (think it was in iOS 6) along with the smaller-bezeled iDevices, I've also started to experience this problem in several apps, including our own games.

Basically, when touching the very corner of the screen with like half your thumb outside the actual screen area, then touching the opposite side with your other thumb, will sometimes be interpreted by iOS as if your first touch was by accident. So it will suddenly cancel out the input on your first thumb, even though part of your thumb is still on the screen.
    I guess they introduced this "input filter", or whatever one can call it, to combat problems with accidental taps on newer iDevices and their tiny bezels.

So in Traps that would mean if you're running left and your left thumb is only partly touching the screen, and then you tap the jump button on the right-hand side, iOS will sometimes cancel out the left thumb's input. Hence the player will stop running and just make a jump straight up, which can be really troublesome if you're trying to jump over a gap with spikes underneath.

In the Donut office, it seems I'm the only one this happens to. Probably because I'm keeping my fingers too far out to the edges. :O
    Apparently there's more of "us" in here.
    Wish there will be a way for developers to turn off this filter in future versions of iOS.

11. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I've had no problems with the controls on my 4S and ios6. It's as good if not a little better than Mikey Shorts and that game is tops in controls.

Congrats to DonutGames on the 5/5 from TouchArcade.

12. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Kudos on the well-deserved 5 star review! I haven't been playing much (and really shouldn't be at the moment), but I can't put this game down. Having a blast playing it. :) It has been a real platforming treat to play this and Thomas Was Alone the past few days!

13. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Adding on my "well deserved 5 stars" post. Great job by a company known for one thing, trying something new and absolutely nailing it.

14. r+b

r+b Active Member

Jul 28, 2014
    #195 r+b, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    This game would look even better on a larger iPhone (4.7" or 5.5") :p

15. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #196 Intendro, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    Those gold symbols are worth points... But they don't come back when you die. :eek:
    Usually stuff like that shows up as a different-looking version for ones that were found before, like making them semi-transparent or something.
    Dotted-line ones show up, but don't give points.

The map doesn't show where entrances to other rooms are, so I found myself looking all over for a room I didn't enter yet, trying to find another relic.

I beat the game. Not bad.

16. staredcraft

staredcraft Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Uh I got a little issue, I found all 55 symbols and 15 secret rooms...and yet it says I'm still at 99%! I have all the relics and everything accessed...so what gives?

17. mountainmohawk

mountainmohawk Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Retail
    PA
    This gets me all the time. I move left and jump and he just stops moving in mid air. Fairly frustrating.

18. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Simply a great game. This is one of the best metroidvanias I've played on iOS. Perhaps even THE best on iOS.

19. TRB4

TRB4 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    This is true, each symbol is worth 50 points, so in total that's 2750 points that you can only get once. So essentially to get the highest score possible you would need to get all symbols in a single run WITHOUT dying once. So you'll need to reset your game after each failed attempt.

It really would be nice to see semi-transparent symbols that could be recollected for 50 points a piece per run, instead of the dotted lines.