Universal Transport Tycoon - (by 31x Limited)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    It turns out the game I used to play was transport tycoon deluxe, so I can't do a side by side comparison with this and my nostalgia. What I can say is this game runs perfectly fine and does exactly what I want from this kind of game.

2. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    If they can do this, then I would welcome Rollercoaster Tycoon.... Seems like the grids and backgrounds are all the same... So... should be very easy.....

3. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Don't be an ass. Just for once?

I'm a very grown adult reaching for 40 and I quite enjoy also having achievements. They provide a nice meta game when done well. Like a quest in Warcraft, Diablo, whatever, it can expand the base gameplay and give you fun things to aim for.

You don't have to care about them or like them, but to just paint a broad stroke over them like you've done is unfair. Achievements are fine, fun and I promise they don't drown kittens or puppies when they're included.

I will agree that those who refuse to play a game if it doesn't have achievements are terribly misguided and have their priorities really mixed up, but we also each have specific things that are important to us.

4. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Is this better than transport general

5. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Yes. Transport general was an attempt to be this very game, albeit with many issues that held it back.

6. NickyNichols

NickyNichols Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Police Quest, Police Quest, Police Quest. I would kill for all 4 to come to iOS.

7. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Hey bool long time no see since we raided UFO bases...

8. Buklamang

Buklamang New Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, iOS Transport Tycoon is almost complete remake of Chris Sawyer's Locomotion except music: it's original from TD. Locomotion was good attempt to make a sequel for TD, but it's not a TD in many ways.

9. ApollyonQ

ApollyonQ Member

Jun 24, 2012
    #49 ApollyonQ, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    As many said before: instantbuy!

As I'm at work right now, I'll have to find some time to play this, though I've already played the tutorial...
    It appears there are only scenario's to play though... Hoping they'll include playing a random map in the future...

Rollercoaster tycoon? I never really played that, but I might give it a go if an iOS version is released...

10. the fish

the fish Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Vienna
    I'm downloading this on iPhone. I hope it's good, for all the videos made on iPad don't say anything about the phone version.
    I loved the game back in the days and I still play open ttd on my laptop, so if this is good, I must never stop playing!
    I will write down some impressions tonight.

11. ApollyonQ

ApollyonQ Member

Jun 24, 2012
    For iPhone you need to have very small fingers (or much experience on precision tapping).

Also found the FAQ:

Will it support multiplayer?
    The launch version won't support multiplayer, but it might be something to consider in a future update.

Can I make my own scenarios/maps?
    Not yet – but since this was possible in PC versions of the game, we can't rule it out for future updates!

Found at https://www.facebook.com/tycoonsim/app_224985104330687

12. Protoman

Protoman Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2013
    I think what he may be referring to, though rudely, is Achievements' narrative on modern cultures lack of attentiveness. When I was a kid my friends and I would make up all sorts of goals in games to challenge each other. The fact that the XBOX Live generation needs someone to hold their hand and dole out what people could create themselves shows what many psychologists are talking about these days, societies ever increasing lack of imagination. The poster points to childishness in needing Achievements but really it's the complete lack of what used to be a child's primary mental tool that is the problem with Achievements. Achievements themselves just being a symptom of much bigger issues within society.

Though I may have misinterpreted the poster's original intent.

13. the fish

the fish Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Vienna
    So I played a few hours on my iPhone and I like it a lot. It's sure great on the iPad.
    I have some suggestions for the phone version though:
    1. It would be great if I could mark a building so I get an indicator where it is when I start building my road or track somewhere else. Just a small arrow on the side of the screen. Would be much easier to navigate because of the small screen.
    2. The map needs more colors. Coalmine red, factory black eg. It's kind of a pain to find matching industries right now. Or did I miss the option to do that?
    3. For the buttons...they are ok. But maybe they could get bigger when I use them. For example: when I touch the menus in the lower left its clear I want to choose something from there. The item under the finger could get a little zoom so it is easier to pick the right one. This could work everywhere.

Like I said, these are the main problems on the small screen and probably don't apply to the iPad version. It would be great if you could add something like this in the future. Would be much more comfortable and even more fun. Still...great work and I will keep on playing.

14. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    I think this game is easier to play if you have invisible fingers.. Until then buy an iPad

15. raijen

raijen Active Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Canada, Eh?
    So I stayed up well past my normal bedtime to download when it came out last night. Dozed off during the truck tutorial waiting for my coal to haul and woke up with a totally flat battery on my iPhone. Don't think it respects the sleep after x minutes option or something. Charged from the laptop on the train and when I try to launch it it starts to play the music and then crashes. Ill try reinstalling when I get to wifi and not cell coverage but from what I played last night wasn't unplayable at all on my phone.

16. lordyokomoto

lordyokomoto Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Is there a sandbox mode btw?

17. jabbasoft

jabbasoft Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 29, 2012
    I don't think I can resist once its on uk store.. Have played ttd and openttd for many years, am a little worried by an earlier comment saying it's more like Locomotion than TT - I like doing complex track layouts etc, hoping the mechanics aren't over-simplified to fit iOS.

Shadowrun, xcom, now transport tycoon. Been a good couple of months for senior gamers :)

18. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    I just noticed the version is 0.1.0 so I guess it's a incomplete game released for beta testing of sort... Wait till its version 1.0 then we should comment..

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm just glad another classic game is coming to iOS.

I'm in the 'dont care for achievements' gang, I dont understand why people want them so badly. Yes it might be a nice to have but i'm stunned sometimes when people say 'wont buy this game as theres no achievements' ? Really ?

Its a 'nice to have' but it wont ruin my enjoyment of any games if its not included. Again i'm just happy this ole classic is on iOS and can be loved by many again. Cant believe someone previously commented they werent keen on the old 'DOS' style graphics, i love the way it looks

20. Repair Drone

Repair Drone Well-Known Member

It's definitely not a beta, by all means comment away!