Universal Transistor (by Supergiant Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jun 11, 2015.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Huge amount. Bastion wouldn't be the same without audio, same for this. Plus if there was an option for other language voice overs the filesize would be hugeeeeee

2. There are subtitles but the voice acting and music are so good, it would really kill half the experience to play it on silent.

3. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    So... I've just lost an ability after fighting Sybil.

Expected?

4. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Thanks. At least it's good to know there are subtitles for what is spoken in the voice over.

5. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    Whenever you enter a fight, your health bar is displayed on top of the screen.
    When it reaches 0, you automatically enter an Emergency turn() where you can plan an escape, you can charm a weed to heal, strike the last foe to end the fight, etc...
    If you get hit another time when you are on very low health, you lose an ability; you get it back after a set number of Connection points (already visited ones don't count)

6. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    I had help() disabled in the last fight, so I couldn't try this out until now. It seems you can't plan the hounds actions even usinG the help()+spark() combo, unless I'm missing something.
    If I remember right, I didn't use help() on PS4, so I'm not really sure what I should do to select the hound and plan its actions; but whatever I tried in the iPhone, it doesn't seem to work :/

7. Wild guess here, but maybe they thought it would clutter up the screen too much? If there are too many buttons, it might make it hard to tap around the screen to move. (but I guess the help() buttons could briefly replace the others?)

8. #228 AppUnwrapper, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    Anyone know how long the help() is supposed to last? I'm in the practice room and equipped him with Switch and Purge. Sometimes he barks once and disappears, other times he'll get 5 barks in then disappear. I just assumed he would stay alive till something killed him, but nothing fights back in there. So what's the deal?

Edit: He seems to last in actual battle, so why does he keep disappearing in the practice room?

9. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    All they'd have to do would be have you tap on the hound or red to switch back and forth. No button needed. And even still they included a button for humming, why leave out a vital part of a function? Help was always a main for me during my time with the console, now I have it as a passive only

10. I'm really surprised more people aren't using help(). I have Switch and Purge on him and I barely have to do anything myself. I'm getting all prepared to battle and he's already taken care of most of it.

11. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Getting some serious lag when the spine drops down and tries to attack you.. Haven't experience anything like this on my mini 2 until now.. Still loving this nonetheless

12. #232 AppUnwrapper, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    I played a bit on my iPhone 5 so I could take video and it lagged during some battles. I haven't had any problems with my Air 2, though. I guess it's a demanding game.

Edit: Here's the video:

13. Brrobotix

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    I think they buffed helps power because you can't use it with turn anymore. But yeah, it's powerful. I just don't like having it switch because it limits who I can attack

14. Yeah, I've been learning to just stand back and let him do his thing. Been using Mask to hide just in case something gets away from him (like other dogs -- they're fast!). The Purge together with the Switch means they're dying while they're turned. :)

15. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Thanks for the vid :).. Yeah i haven't had any issues up until when the spine starts attacking you.. Everything else has been smooth.. Maybe if I reboot my device things will get better..

Really loving this game.. The vibe completely captivates me.. Love the setting and the narrator.. It's incredibly deep with all the different function combinations.. I know once I beat it I'll play it again and again..

Are you guys preferring the tap controls or the virtual joystick? In bastion I preferred tap controls but with transistor I totally prefer the classic setting

16. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    Thanks. I guess I hadn't played far enough. It saves at the end of each level...

17. EliteBanana

EliteBanana Active Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Student
    US
    This game looks too good to be true... I'll have to try it out myself when I get the chance :0

18. Brrobotix

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    Ahhhh I see. That makes sense then.

19. brybry

brybry Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Ever use jaunt() with help()? It leaves behind a shadow of yourself as you jaunt away. I like it because it draws all enemies to that one point and I can use turn to use get() with bounce() to draw them even closer and bombard them with spark() with breach() and purge(). It's a nasty little combo lol

20. matyou98

matyou98 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2012
    $5 on steam right now. Not saying don't get on ios but just wanted to get the word out.