Universal Transistor (by Supergiant Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jun 11, 2015.

1. #181 AppUnwrapper, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    :) I'll definitely have a review up once I've spent a few days with it!

Edit: Ah crap.
    I restarted from the last checkpoint and there's no way to edit my functions before fighting Sybil. She seems to have 2-3 stages with a lot of hp and she's immune to one of my attacks, while the other two only do 50 or 60 damage. I have no idea how I'm supposed to beat her that way?

Edit 2: Oh wait! I think she's only immune to the charm function I added to the other function, not immune to the damage (I hope!). Will try to defeat her tomorrow.

And if anyone wants to see how it plays on an iPhone 5, I posted some video:

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    MFi functionality is pretty much FLAWLESS in this one. R-shoulder to start combos, each face button gets assigned a skill of your choice, and they added the functionality to everything in the game including menus and other stuff.

Really enjoying this right now.

3. noteatino

noteatino Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2014
    I would like some imps of someone with an iPad 4 to finally purchase this one. :D

4. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    its awesome im plain on ipad 4 its flawless controls are picture perfect this is a no brainer buy if u just like video games its a ,ust buy

5. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    That's because in the Compatibility section of app description in AppStore it says iPad 3rd gen is supported, as all iPhones (it just says "iPhone"), BUT the devs added a note in the first line of the DESCRIPTION of the game that says you need at least an iPad 4th gen, iPhone 5 or iPad mini 2nd gen.

I too didn't give a damn about description, well knowing the game (I have it on PS4). I just checked the compatibility and hit "BUY"! :/

They thought everyone would read the description and see that first line about supported devices, but that may be true for casual gamers or people who don't know the game.
    I rarely read games descriptions. I usually look up touch arcade, read their review (if there's one) and skim through the comments.
    I feel game descriptions look like advertising, so I don't care about them. I want to read what people think about the game. And if I know the game, I neither do that: it's instabuy!
    The compatibility section MUST match the real compatible devices.
    I love Supergiant Games, I've known Greg Kasavin since his time at Gamespot, but they can't write "iphone" in the compatibility list and somewhere else write "oh, you need at least an iPhone 5" :/

6. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    Yeah, they got it wrong this time. They wrote the correct compatible devices in the first line of the DESCRIPTION, while the compatibility list has more devices in it :/

Who cares about game description when you very well know the game??

7. Those who know this game better, is it worth restarting the game if I chose the Mask and Switch skills? They feel like poor choices now. I'm about to restart the battle against Sybil -- would I be better off restarting the whole game?

8. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    of course not. awesome skills. :)

9. Well, bosses are immune to Switch. I have it equipped on top of another skill, which I think kills support monsters before it has a chance to charm them. :/ So at the moment it feels like a poor choice.
    I guess I can try to kill Sybil again (I got to her third form but only had a sliver of health left, so decided to reload from the last save). If I can't beat her the second time, I may need to restart and plan better for that battle.

10. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I picked the other choice, Bounce() was it? For that boss my advice is to use turn() immediately when you see her start her attack animation and then dodge behind her for a few backstabs and then dash away. Also, for every stage clear out the small mobs first. But always prioritize dodging away because there is no heal.

11. Yeah, finally getting the hang of it. I managed to take her down, but lost my most powerful function on the last round. Good thing I picked up a new one! The Switch was actually pretty useful, because I could use it on a Cheerleader and have it briefly protect me.

I'm playing around with the different functions, seeing what makes most sense. It definitely allows for a lot of different play styles, which is really cool.

The only thing is I don't really feel like each battle feels different. Seems like you use mostly the same strategy all the time? Get in as many attacks per Turn() as you can, then run like crazy and repeat?

12. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    That's what the combat has been for me so far, which isn't bad at all. For example, combat in the Souls games is just stamina management and hitting enemies when they are vulnerable.

13. True. :) Hopefully acquiring new Functions and playing around with them will keep the game fresh.

Loving my new Help() bot. :)

14. layx

layx Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Just finish the game. Second round : recursion. I guess this is a hard mode. Can say I love everything about this game. Music , gameplay , presentation everything top notch. Second run U can keep everything and enemy get harder. But I will go for it. Who not yet buy this game. Seriously buy it . It worth every cent.

15. Ok, I think I'm hooked. :) Getting through that boss battle gave me some confidence and now I'm looking forward to the battles instead of dreading them!

16. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    #196 Brrobotix, Jun 13, 2015
    It really opens up after that boss, I'm near the second boss and I think I've tripled the number of functions I have access to.

Also switch on weeds can heal you, and switch on cheerleaders makes you pretty much invulnerable. Definitely a good function to have.

Keep in mind you don't have to use turn() every time. Sometimes it's more effective not to

17. I ran out of memory and decided to use the shield passive and leave Switch behind for now. I kind of miss it. I had it equipped to my pet for a while and it was really nice having him recruit a bunch of allies. I hope I get more memory soon!

18. Brrobotix

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    #198 Brrobotix, Jun 13, 2015
    Around level 6 or 7 you start getting system upgrade options, one of which is more memory. I actually stopped using help because I'm not sure if it is keeping me from earning xp by getting kills. It's really powerful though.

Still can't figure out how to use the help() hound in turn(). You can do it in the console versions

19. What do you mean? I'm able to use him in Turn(). Is there something else he did in Turn() that you can't do here? I hope he doesn't take my XP, though! That would be really odd.

I also got a couple of Limiters now. Been using them and haven't noticed too much of a problem, so I guess I'm getting better at this game. :)

20. Brrobotix

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    So basically I was able to control the hound in turn(), like you planned moves for both red and the hound, and each had their own planning bar. It seems like that function has been removed unfortunately, though I'm not sure why.

The only reason I'm concerned about the xp thing is because I get less icons that show the enemies you've killed at the end of a battle, but I've still been getting 10xp each time so I don't know if that matters.