Universal Trainyard (by Matt Rix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Prab, Jun 9, 2010.

1. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    The first half is similar in difficulty to express(although keep in mind that they are completely different puzzles than Express), but the last 50-60 puzzles get ridiculously hard, especially near the end.

Trainyard also has splitter pieces, which add a whole new dimension to the game, because you can actually create more trains using them. Take a look at this puzzle for an example: http://www.trainyard.ca/2zV

2. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Oh heck yeah, that does look like it would be a stumper...haven't spent more than 10 minutes or so on any of the express puzzles yet.

3. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    $2.99 -> $.99

4. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
  5. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I am actually at least temporarily stumped by the a few of the last-ish puzzles in express, so I am afraid this one is too advanced for me. I guess this particular puzzle concept isnt one I naturally get.

6. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    It's really the sort of thing where you won't get it for a while, and all of a sudden it'll "click". Trainyard (the full game) has a much more gradual learning curve than Trainyard Express, so if you still think you might wanna try it, now (during this 99c sale) is probably the best time!

7. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    It's climbing up the ranks! Congrats!

8. bgribin

bgribin Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I'm seriously on the verge of buying this one. After reading the Touch Arcade post, reading Matt's post on the game, and trying EX, I'm pretty much there. After I finish the demo I'll almost surely grab it. :cool:

9. Project-79

Project-79 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2008
    Canada
    2 Questions

@ElectricGrandpa

Firstly, great game! I’m really enjoying the game so far. Secondly, I’m Canadian as well, and I just have to say that you may be the best Canadian developer in the App Store! Glad to see Canadian developers are among the best in the world!

I have 2 questions though:

1. Are there any plans to include the Express levels in the original?

2. Are there any plans for Game Center support (achievements maybe?). I really like that there is no score or time within the game (keeps the game relaxing), so I completely understand not having any leaderboards.

Keep up the good work, and best of luck to you! Trainyard is 15th and climbing in Canada! I’m hoping to see more updates (stages) added to the game (like Angry Birds), but Trainyard is already worth the dollar!

10. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Being crazy is good, some times! :D Just d/l it.

Well, I am happy to see another great puzzle game out here. Good job with the simple concept with polished execution. More complex and challenging and you need a lot of thoughts, planning and trial-and-error with this one.

Good job!

Looks like I am jumping off from the Word game train...

11. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    OT somewhat, but is everyone getting through express? Cause I am sort of stuck but dont want to cheat just yet.

I cant even think of getting this one till I finish express.

12. EMTKiNG

EMTKiNG Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    EMT
    Los Angeles,CA
    I will be supporting your cause tried the express pretty dang tricky and fun. So here to supporting indie devs and help with your coup de'tat of Angry Birds LOL:D

13. globbits

globbits Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Which level are you stuck on? People might be able to give you a few hints without completely spoiling the whole level for you?

And ElectricGrandpa is right when he says the main game does build you up more gradually, so starting that might be enough to teach you the patterns you need to complete Express.

14. holymadness

holymadness Active Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Loved the EX version (which I'm about 5 maps from finishing). I picked up the full version today without a second's hesitation.

15. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    This is a FANTASTIC game! I tried out the Express version and immediately downloaded the full version, although I have yet to start playing that one.
    Everything about this game is great... the puzzles themselves of course, the layouts, the UI... it's all just awesome!
    Well, except for one teeny tiny thing, that is... I dunno if it's just me, but there's just something about the game's icon that I don't like... It's not so much the icon design itself, but rather the sizing/proportion of the train in the icon. It just looks too small for the space it's "floating" in.
    Personally, I'd prefer to see something like this:
    [​IMG]

16. holymadness

holymadness Active Member

Sep 17, 2010
    My only issue so far is that it's sometimes tricky to lay curved pieces of track. The game just doesn't recognize the input. Very pleased overall.

17. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    I sort of see where you're coming from, but there is something that I love about the icon that I wouldn't want it changed.

18. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    If you're stuck on Jorge, don't worry, because everyone gets stuck on it.

19. Enco

Enco Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Love the game!

I love games that are well polished and this just screams polish. Also, I love the current logo. It's very unique. Don't change a thing :p

However, I have one suggestion. The interface seems kinda messy/busy. Things move everywhere and the splash screen is a little crowded. It's a small thing but if you can streamline the menus at all (but keep the current design which is good) it would be great!

Very well done on making such a great game and good luck on beating Angry Birds!

20. anthem47

anthem47 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    So I'm a bit stuck on "The Classic" at the moment, the first one that's really stumped me. Hoping for not a spoiler but a bit of a nudge in the right direction.

The thing I can't figure out is, there's three trains. Two emerge simultaneously and a third one "block" later (like, one block of time, the time it takes a train to move across a block). I need to merge that last off-kilter train with one of the others, but because the first is always one block behind the movements of the other trains...this is hard to explain. Any change you make in the track usually happens in pairs, to curve a track out, you have to curve it in again. A loop adds four "movements", a half loop adds two. Without diagonals, I can't figure out how to delay one of the other trains by one movement so it can merge.

Does that make sense? There's probably a key concept of track building I'm completely missing here and it's hard to explain this game in text, hehe. Essentially I can't think of a move that introduces an odd-numbered amount of time to a train's movement.

Need to think outside the box for this one, I think.