Universal Trainyard (by Matt Rix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Prab, Jun 9, 2010.

1. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Ok, I might just do that then. Thank you for the suggestion! :)

2. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I like Open Feint, especially the local storage. I can't even tell you how many games that I have deleted, then come back to, having to start everything from the beginning... Having data stored on games played, levels, etc would be wonderful..

I have no idea what Game Center is going to offer though, and that is coming up pretty soon... I am sure that the bigger apps like Open Feint are going to figure out a way to incorporate into Game Center, but I don't know if they are going to become obsolete anyways...

3. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    #83 ElectricGrandpa, Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
    Yeah I think OpenFeint and Game Center will definitely coexist. Game Center provides a user id and some matchmaking, but that's about it. It doesn't have achievements, save data, or most of the other dozens of things that OpenFeint has.

4. Georgina

Georgina Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2010
    Sydney
    This is a charming game with so much polish. I'm loving it!

My only complaint so far is that drawing the track is a bit fiddly. Glad to see the developer has a fix coming.

This kind of game is why I love my iPhone.

5. globbits

globbits Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Thanks, they look excellent :)
    I'm fairly certain I've got a solution to RGB already, and think I know how to do Mr Morgan but could easily find I've done something daft when I actually get to try it out (the 3 exit in the corner is worrying me a little). IndusBlue on the other hand... I have a couple of strategies in mind but trying to work out where all the trains are going to be at any moment in time is making my head hurt.

Oh and you've now created nearly 40 new levels? Awesome! :D
    Thanks for not trying to sell them as a new $0.50 level pack (hope I'm not giving you any evil new ideas... ;) )

6. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    I'm doing my best to make it easier to draw track. I think it'll still be a bit fiddly at times, but hopefully less than before!

Yeah Indusblue is a very tricky one, Mr. Morgan isn't too bad, though it is fun to solve.

I definitely have no plans to charge for levels, money isn't my goal right now, I just want to get the word out about the game. I am worried that if I put in too many levels, it will just be daunting for people, but hopefully the whole "bonus puzzles" idea helps people realize that they don't HAVE to solve all those puzzles.

I also want to work out a system where new levels can be provided over the internet without having to update the app, so that I can do weekly puzzle packs.

7. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    New update has (finally) been submitted to Apple! I'm hoping it'll be approved in the next couple of days, so get ready :)

8. Georgina

Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2010
    Sydney
    Yay! I can't wait. I've finished all the bonus puzzles bar Rocky Road, which I'm totally stuck on. I don't want to look up the solution so I just sit here and glare at it every once in a while.

9. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Yeah a lot of people have a tough time with that one, it's rewarding once you get it though :) Good luck!

The update is still in review with Apple... I'm guessing it'll be approved in the first couple days of the week.

10. globbits

Jul 24, 2009
    <4 yr old> Are we nearly there yet? </4 yr old>

;)

11. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Hah, I'm even more impatient than you are ;) I keep checking my email and the app status... No change yet. Grr. According to the developer site, "95% of updates are reviewed within 7 days". Right now it's been 6 days. I'll post here the moment the status changes, although I don't think the actual update will get pushed out till a couple hours after that.

12. cjsbug

cjsbug Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Update 1.1 is out! :D

+ Over 40(!) new hard puzzles
    + Streamlined the tutorial process, including adding a "skip tutorial" button
    + Added "Colour blind mode" in options
    + Tweaked the colours to make them stand out from each other(orange+red, etc.)
    + Numerous UI improvements
    + Fast app switching support
    + Removed grunge effect
    + Enhanced track drawing to make it slightly easier

13. Georgina

Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2010
    Sydney
    Firstly: yay!

Secondly: how do you access the new puzzles? Now that the bonus puzzles button is gone from the front screen, I don't seem to have the ability. Do I need to finish all the original bonus puzzles first?

Cheers.

14. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Sorry yeah, because I removed 10 easy puzzles, I had to add 10 puzzles at the end of the game so that there are still 100 puzzles. My solution was to turn Niagara Falls into a regular city instead of a bonus city. What that means is that you have to complete Niagara Falls(including Rocky Road, eek!) before the bonus puzzles will be unlocked. Once you've beaten all 100 regular levels, then you should have the bonus puzzles button available. You don't need to finish ALL of the original bonus puzzles before you get to the new ones, the cities should unlock kinda like the regular puzzles, so after you get around half of all the puzzles in a city, the next city should unlock.

Also, one other issue to note is that if you were set to use "player two", it will reset to starting with "player one" after the update, so you'll have to go into options and switch back to Player Two. All of your old solutions should still be there though.

Let me know if you want some hints for Rocky Road, I know that was a tricky one for you :D

15. Georgina

Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2010
    Sydney
    Hi, ElectricGrandpa, and thanks for the quick response.

I'd love some hints for RR. I think the approach I was taking was unworkable (get both trains on one side, do the cross-over, try to send them through the rocks) but I couldn't see another way to make it happen.

Cheers.

16. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Alright hopefully this makes sense:

Both trains need to get through as green trains, but the key is that they both have to eventually come from the same side(either from the top or the bottom). So you'll have to mix them, and send one to the goal, and then send the other one to the other side, and then *send it back again*, and then send it through to the goals. Just experiment with sending one of the trains to the other side before sending it to the goals, and I think you'll eventually get it.

I hope that is understandable, I didn't realize how tricky it was to describe a solution with words until now :)

-Matt

17. Georgina

Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2010
    Sydney
    Ooh, I've got it now. You have to send the first train over and the second train up the middle. Do it in the reverse, as I was, and the switch never goes the right way for the second train.

Happy kitty. On to the new puzzles!

Thanks again.

18. globbits

Jul 24, 2009
    Woohoo, thank you, finally here! \o/
    If I knew it was turning up this morning, I'd have booked some time off work - I only managed to get to Regina before needing to leave for work. :D

Adding two new levels to Oakville confused me at first, I thought you'd managed to bork the save file in some way ;)

Any idea why the website doesn't link to the solution to "Jagd" with out manually editting the url? Is the front page not automatically updated when new solutions are submitted?

19. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Yeah the main solution page is really DB intensive page to update, so I do it manually. If I was better at backend stuff I'd probably figure out a better way to do it, but I think it'll work well enough for now. I just updated it, so you should see the stuff there. Also, note that until I reveal the last 4 cities(probably in a few days or something), you won't be able to see the solutions for them on the main page. Once you know the name of them, you can figure out the url though, of course :)

20. globbits

Jul 24, 2009
    That's cool, thanks :)

I can't help but escape the feeling that I'm missing something obvious with Glockenspeil - why are there 4 slicing tiles? I know we don't have to use them all (and my submitted solution doesn't), but the thought that I can't work out the ultra-stylish, perfect, symmetrical solution you had in mind is bugging me ;)