Universal Trainyard (by Matt Rix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Prab, Jun 9, 2010.

1. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    #41 ElectricGrandpa, Jun 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
    Glad you liked it! I'm curious, which one is your hometown?

2. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Got a bunch of great reviews and feedback so far, thanks to everyone for playing the game and telling their friends! There are a lot more solutions uploaded now(almost 400), so check those out too: http://www.trainyard.ca/solutions

3. globbits

globbits Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    It's great looking throught the other solutions.
    Some of the puzzles may only have one basic possible answer, but most have plenty of room for some really clever touches, or are just fun. I feel like I'm still waiting for the last blue train to get home, for example. Or on Reunited, I didn't even consider creating two magenta trains. And of course it's good to see how Rocky Road was meant to be solved without my bit of cheating. :D

Although I'm a bit disappointed to realise that I ended up with the same solution to Barrel Roll as shown in the trailer. I did work it out myself, honest. ;)

4. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Hey, that just means you solved it the same way as me, nothing wrong with that ;)

On a lot of the puzzles it's pretty obvious that the solutions aren't gonna get much better, but I think there's stilll a ton of possibility for a few of the puzzles, such as Machine Gun. I can't wait to see what you guys do once you start working on the really hard puzzles that are coming in the next update :D

5. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Sounds exciting!

6. rooteboy

rooteboy Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Student/Beta Tester
    Earth......for now
    great game, i would recommend it to anyone who loves a good puzzle game :)

7. Lautron

Lautron Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    I'm from Abbotsford originally, living in Kelowna now. How about yourself?

8. ataloss

ataloss Well-Known Member

Bring it on! :D

9. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Mississauga. Almost all the cities in the game are places that I've actually visited(aside from the ones that are really far north). Around 10 years ago I stayed with some friends in Abbotsford for a week, good times.

10. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Just so you guys know, I'll be increasing the price to $2.99 in the next couple days. If you've got any friends that haven't bought it, they should probably buy it now ;). I'm also gonna try to finish and submit the first update this weekend. It'll include a bunch of new puzzles, and I'm gonna reorganize the order of the puzzles so that there aren't so many easy puzzles. That means I'm probably taking out 15 or more of the easy puzzles and a couple of the tutorials, and replacing them with medium/hard puzzles.

11. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Probably a good idea about deleting some of the tutorial. I don't mind being led by the hand for a bit, but I think that there is a bit too much of that in your game. Of course, you could always have the tutorial as a completely seperate section - just labled "Tutorial" and then start the actual levels with the train stop names...

Great game though...

12. unbrokenchain33

unbrokenchain33 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Pretty positive when I asked in the previous thread you said the price would remain the same for quite some time

13. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I'm thinking it's time to pick this up tonight. I can't resist much longer.

14. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Yeah you're absolutely right, I regret that. I really shouldn't have said that until I had actually tried being in the store. Things are a lot different now that I'm figuring out marketing and actually looking at sales numbers and all that. I should have really just said that I wouldn't lower the price, I wasn't as sure about raising it. Heh, it feels like I've been in the store a long time already(even though it's only been a week).

Hmm, if the price going up is an issue for anyone, please let me know. I wasn't trying to trick anyone or anything like that. I've learned my lesson though, I definitely won't make that kind of promise in the future.

15. unbrokenchain33

Feb 22, 2010
    Nono. I will be picking this game up in a day or so as I am very interested. Just wasn't sure but I guess I don't hav a choice. Make a lite version so people can get a glimpse of your hard work before they spend $3 on it. I will pick it up before the increase and hopefully spread the word to my friends and family

16. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Thanks dude, I appreciate it. I'm gonna be making a lite version eventually, but it won't be for a little while. I've got a couple other interesting marketingy ideas I want to try first. I hope you like it, and it'll only get better after the update that's coming soon!

17. aznriceboi13

aznriceboi13 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    where rice paddies grow...
    i'm ma pick this up prob by tomorrow, if i buy it now, i won't stop playing :D

18. unbrokenchain33

Feb 22, 2010
    Great game, needs to get more publicity!

19. Watson

Watson Active Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    I've been really enjoying it -- and gave it a good review on iTunes. I hope the game does well for the publisher!

20. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Thanks guys! It's doing alright so far, pretty much what I expected :) I've got some plans to hopefully help it take off. I'm hoping it'll get featured by Apple at some point, that'll help too. I'll keep you guys informed here about how it goes.