Universal Trainyard (by Matt Rix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Prab, Jun 9, 2010.

1. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Yeah I dunno, sometimes I'll have a harder time with a certain puzzle so I'll completely misjudge the difficulty level, but you're right, that's definitely not a 25 star puzzle.

The achievements should get stored in Game Center, but it's one-way, Trainyard sends achievements to game center but doesn't pull them back down. Right now there is no iCloud syncing of progress either because Apple has made it a huge pain to implement, so it's unlikely that will ever happen.... at least not until Trainyard 2 (which is not coming soon, at all).

2. Ancible

Ancible New Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Thanks for the reply.

FWIW, Letterpress uses Game Center to sync progress between devices, but I have no idea whether the same could work for Trainyard - there's a lot more to Trainyard than Letterpress.

3. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Yeah that's the issue, unfortunately trainyard's save data is incredibly complex: it's not just storing whether you've solved a puzzle, but it's also storing all of your solutions for each puzzle.

4. Ruth

Ruth New Member

Nov 26, 2012
    When I view a solution using my iPod touch, there is a static image with a caption saying that animation can be seen in a Flash-enabled browser. But when I view the same page using Windows (IE or Safari, with Flash and Java enabled and updated), there is *no* image, static or animated. Any clues as to why?
    I also tried sharing a solution on Facebook, but received an error message -- something about August. (huh?) Is that feature still supposed to work?
    I'm still playing Express. Very impressive game and features!

5. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Hmm, you should be seeing the solution player when you view it on your computer. Safari on Windows is really old now, isn't it?

Yeah Facebook changed their API so now that sharing stuff doesn't work, I'll be fixing that in the next update, sorry! :)

6. Ruth

Ruth New Member

Nov 26, 2012
    I *should* see a player, but I don't. :^(
    I tried again (and again ...) using different solution pages, old and new.
    Flash and Java work for me on other pages, but not trainyard.ca
    Does it still work (or not) for anyone else?

I don't know how "old" Safari is. I just downloaded it earlier this year to see if it could handle something (I forget what) differently than IE.

7. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Hmm, that's strange, it's working for me in IE.

I highly recommend checking out Google Chrome as a browser if you haven't already, it's super fast and it works great with the Trainyard site: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

8. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Chrome rules !! :D

9. Ruth

Ruth New Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Thanks for your answer and recommendation. :) At least now I know the problem is something on my end.

I'll probably try Chrome, but I suspect it may be a Windows configuration issue since it failed in two different browsers.

Will let you know if I find a solution. *fingers crossed*

10. Ruth

Ruth New Member

Nov 26, 2012
    It works in Chrome!!! Yay! And cool! :D

(Now the nerd in me wants to know why IE failed. ;) )

Thanks again, Matt (and DannyTheElite). :)

11. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    This game is on sale again for a dollar, so having heard it was good, I decided to give it a try. I am sure most puzzle game fans around here have already played it, but if you haven't, don't miss it. It is definitely up there amongst the very best. Challenging, fascinating and ingenious!

12. staffordling

staffordling Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Hundreds already included, and has a cloud-enabled puzzle creator. Perfect app!

13. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Ah, this game. Such good memories with it. Laying down a tile, each time I had a break from filing. Then I would play the solution and see if my hard work prospered!

:cool:

The App Store is a gargantuan place, filled with apps of all shapes and sizes, many from the same genre, some unique... But through all this time of me swinging back and forth between being an iDevice gamer and being a Vita/3DS gamer, Trainyard still hangs fresh in my memory as one of the best games I've ever played on an iDevice.

Pretty outstanding that it withstands the test of time, and blows past the endless amount of other iPhone games I played. When I think of amazing iPhone games I used to play all the time, Trainyard usually comes first. :eek:

Unfortunately I lost all my progress since my Trainyard was on my iPhone 3GS, and that 3GS is dead now. But I may just download this one again, on my 4S, to replay it, and heck! Even earn some achievements :D

14. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Thanks for the comments everyone! :D Glad to hear you're still thinking about (and enjoying!) the game...

One day I may get around to making some sort of sequel or something, who knows? :)

15. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    A sequel to Trainyard would be wonderful!

16. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Completely agree. Trainyard might be the oldest game still on my phone, and for good reason. I got my parents an iPad mini for Christmas, made sure they downloaded this game, and now my dad is hooked. Though I keep refusing to help him when he asks how I did a level:)

17. Dragonhead

Dragonhead Active Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Lead Programmer
    Norway
    I got it at the sale as well, and I'm enjoying it a lot. Love these kinds of puzzle games :)

18. lurik

lurik New Member

Mar 27, 2013
    probleme to run engineer mode and warp speed

hello

i run trainyard, unlock expert mode, but i didn't find how to access to engineer mode.
    I try to use warp speed, but it did'nt work. The game stay at le normal speed.

Can you help me to unlock engineer mode and warp speed?

I have trainyard 1.5 on android 4.1.1

19. huibuh

huibuh New Member

Apr 1, 2013
    hello,

I have the same Problem - no engineer mode with Android

the Game ist worth its €2,32 but engineer mode would be great.

thanks

20. Th3R3n3gad3

Th3R3n3gad3 Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2012
    IPhone 5 support?