Universal Trainyard (by Matt Rix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Prab, Jun 9, 2010.

1. pitty.platsch

pitty.platsch New Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Bonus Puzzle Achievement missing

I have kind of a bug here. I've finished all the bonus puzzles but didn't get the appropriate achievement unlocked. I've even ran all the solutions again - without any success. What can I do ElectricGrandpa?

2. taylog1

taylog1 New Member

Sep 18, 2011
    Brilliant game, and very addictive - the engineer option puts it head and shoulders above anything else I've got on the iPad !

You asked for some links to puzzles ? , here's a couple that I'm most proud of ( so far).
    http://trainyard.ca/P4HW
    http://trainyard.ca/P4YB (inspired by last night's Dr Who)

Interested in any comments

3. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Unfortunately that's a bug for almost everyone. I'm gonna be fixing it in the next update (not sure when that'll come out, hopefully soon).

Great puzzles, I really like the second one especially.

As for the questions about wrenches, that's definitely something I'm going to be thinking about tweaking more in the future.

4. iStephen

iStephen Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Ohio
    Gave up on this game soon after it was released. I guess I was just too lazy because I'm having so much fun playing thru it right now!

5. DaveRoberts

DaveRoberts New Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Impossible Rainbow

Hello all,

I'm a seasoned Trainyardaholic but new to the user created puzzles and online forum.

Allowing people to create puzzles was the best move since the original concept - it's amazing how much variation you can get in a 7x7 square! I'm a big fan of the extremely difficult puzzles that you have to chew over for a long time. However, two things frustrate me about the user created puzzles: firstly, those which have seemingly only been created for people to collect cheap wrenches; secondly, those which are so haphazard that there is no symmetry or 'purpose' to the puzzle. Those points notwithstanding, there are still some excellent puzzles out there (particularly if you sort by 'likes').

The other thing that's a bit frustrating is that there are so many puzzles being created (which I suppose is a good thing!) that it's very difficult to get your own creation viewed!

Anyway - now for the shameless plug. I've created a puzzle where you start with just one red train and by using a splitter and R/Y/B paint squares, you have to create an entire rainbow. It's definitely not as easy as it sounds and took me longer to solve than any puzzle previously.

Anyway, for any Trainyarders out there looking for a feisty challenge, please have a look!

Cheers,

Dave

http://trainyard.ca/P57P

6. DaveRoberts

DaveRoberts New Member

Sep 19, 2011

I forgot to mention - my solution is in 37+29 tracks and a journey of 67. I won't share the solution online so as not to spoil the challenge!

7. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Great idea for a puzzle, I'll definitely try it out :)

8. pitty.platsch

pitty.platsch New Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Hi Dave,

it was a tough one, but I finally finished it after like 2 hours of trying.

I also had kinda the same idea, to create all colors just from one single train. So far no one (besides myself) has posted another solution: http://trainyard.ca/P4wF

Cheers,
    Martin

9. DaveRoberts

DaveRoberts New Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Well done!

I've downloaded your 'Seven Sisters' puzzle and will have a crack at it this weekend.

Cheers,

Dave

10. Anon30976

Anon30976 New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    +1 for a flagging system.

11. Anon30976

Anon30976 New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    On a gameplay-related subject, the hardest thing for me is to combine two consecutive trains, such as one right behind another on the same track. Does anyone have an easy solution for this?

12. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Is this what you're talking about? If so, it's not possible to combine those two trains.

13. Anon30976

Anon30976 New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Well, that explains why I was having such a hard time combining them. Thanks for the reply!

14. Pantsjo

Pantsjo Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Netherlands
    Strange three-way collisions

Hey, I discovered some strange behaviour when i let three trains merge/collide. The outcome is not always the same. Looks like a bug to me.

To see what I mean, check out puzzle http://www.trainyard.ca/P5RM

15. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Hah, yeah that's a bug, it can happen in certain 4 train collisions too. Not sure if I should fix it now, because some puzzles might actually be relying on it, haha.

16. TheSpeakeasy

TheSpeakeasy New Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Game Crashing

I had an issue I hope you guys can help with.
    I pressed the button for "Saved Puzzles" and my game crashed.
    Now when I try to load the game it crashes on the intro loading screen.

I've fully closed and reopened the app, tried restarting the phone, but nothing is working. I'm wondering if it is the result of the small update from yesterday.

I'm hoping it won't require a delete and reinstall...I don't want to lose my progress!

Any thoughts?

17. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    No, I don't know why it crashed in the first place, but you shouldn't have to delete and reinstall.

Try going to this link on your device, it'll clean up and repair the Trainyard state: http://trainyard.ca/system/utils/cleanState.html

Let me know if that works for you.

18. TheSpeakeasy

TheSpeakeasy New Member

Oct 4, 2011
    It worked!
    Thanks Matt!

19. BeakerBoy

BeakerBoy New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I'm just wondering if there's a record for longest run on a course. I created one tonight that ran through 202,922 squares before completion. It took about 4 hours to run!
    I'm pretty sure with some tweaking, I could get it to top a million but I'm not going to have the program running for days on its own.

Anyway, where can I look up longest track records? Thanks!

By the way, great game Matt! I've been playing a lot of the user created puzzles and the thing that jumps out at me is that it's really very difficult creating well made puzzles. Too many people confuse putting more trains on the puzzle with increasing the difficultly and user experience.

20. BeakerBoy

BeakerBoy New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Heh. I now see that the longest run (that I could find) came almost a year ago with 6.2 million. I'm pretty sure I could extend my solution to get to around 2.5 million but that's still way shy of that record. Back to the drawing board!