Universal Trainyard (by Matt Rix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Prab, Jun 9, 2010.

1. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Glad to see you are still on the forums. Love this game, and it is about as good as a puzzle game can get. I hope busy with other stuff means a new game in the works :). Look forward to any updates.

2. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Good to see the thread around. I have been recommending this game on every puzzle thread which gets created. :)

I hope we get an update with a level editor. That would be awesome.

And if you are working on a new game, well, best of luck for that.

3. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    This is quite simply the best puzzler out there on any platform - it seems to test the brain in ways others can only dream of, and it's so nicely implemented. I cannot recommend this game to people enough.

As stated above I'd also love to see a level editor so we can create our own, and possibly submit them for consideration for inclusion in future updates.

Also it would be great if it was Universal - it'd play even better on iPad as it would make laying and editing tracks much easier. I'm a developer with experience making a Universal game so Matt if you don't have time yourself but are interested in getting it "Universified" then get in touch - I believe I could do it really quickly (and therefore at no charge - the reward would be being able to play it on my iPad!).

Looking forward to the next update as I need more levels :)

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

Matt is more than capable doing a universal, but there is little point to one if youd ever took the time to play trainyard on te ipad in 2x.

Try it and take a closer look you might notice something.. One can play trainyard on the ipad very comfortable. ;)

5. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    True enough ;) although I only install iPad-native apps to the iPad - I'm one of those people who *needs* things to run natively in full-screen and doesn't like the bordered 2x mode. I realise most people probably don't care or even notice :)

6. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    I highly doubt an ipad trainyard would look much different, instead of a black border you get a colored one.. Highly unlikely that he would redo the hole gfx just to make the playfield a little bit bigger.

And again, install it and try it out in 2x , you might be surprised.

7. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Yep, Trainyard is gonna be universal in the next release, but it'll basically just be 2x size using the retina assets with a border.

I get way too many people asking for an iPad version before trying it in 2x mode, so I decided it'd be better to at least make it universal, because it'll be good enough for 99% of people... I really don't have the time to completely restructure the game just for iPad at this point...

Aaaanyway, new update is coming along really well, I've been working on it for over a month straight, almost 200 hours put into it so far. There are a couple little minor features, but the big thing is that you can make your own puzzles, and share them, and browse through other puzzles and all that good stuff.

I'm polishing it and testing it right now, but I'm hoping to submit it to Apple in the next couple weeks, to be totally honest, I'm really sick of working on it, hah!

8. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    People don't try it in 2x mode because 99% of games look terrible in 2x mode; they're probably tired of trying iPhone apps out on iPad and being disappointed all the time (I know I was). Making it Unversal is a really good move as now they KNOW it will run native-res assets on iPad. Plus it shows up as an iPad app in their iTunes library.

Hardly anyone will care or even notice it has a border on iPad - it doesn't matter with a puzzler, and is certainly not an issue with a puzzler as brilliant as this.

The new features sound great - looking forward to the update!

9. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    I played it in 2x mode :)

10. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Thank you for making it universal! :D

11. ZildjianKX

ZildjianKX Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Does the paid version contain all the levels that the free version has? I just bought the game and noticed that the levels were laid out as cities, and my friend who has the free version has it laid out as provinces. Also, thanks for working on a universal update for it, it's the reason I bought the game.

12. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    The puzzles are completely different between Trainyard Express (the free one) and Trainyard (the paid one). There are 60 puzzles in Express and over 150 in the main game, and none of them are the same (although some of the really easy puzzles are pretty similar).

And yeah, that's a good observation, the free game is divided into provinces, while the full game is divided into cities.

13. ZildjianKX

ZildjianKX Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Ah, good to know, thanks :) I'll have to download the free version too. I guess at some point you could always roll the free version's levels into the paid version, like JetCarStunt did. No biggie though.

Are there any plans to add Game Center Achievements?

14. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Yep, that's what I was working on today actually :) Update should be out in a week or two!

15. dorian4096

dorian4096 New Member

Aug 25, 2011
    waiting for the update

waiting for the update
    mid august is way past...
    thank you

16. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Update has been submitted to Apple, it shouldn't be long now! :D

17. towelll

towelll Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Thanks for keeping us updated - in both senses!

18. hasio_john

hasio_john Well-Known Member

What's New in Version 1.66

+ Make your own puzzles!
    + Achievements
    + Game Center
    + Universal (works on iPad)
    + New puzzles
    + Hundreds of other bug fixes and improvements

19. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    The update is finally out! A crazy puzzle editor, new puzzles, game center, achievements, and all kinds of other fun stuff. Check it out :)

20. kzwen

kzwen Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Sweeeet! More puzzles!!! :D