iPad Toy Box - physics sandbox (promo codes!)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sean, Jul 6, 2009.

1. sean

sean Member

Jul 3, 2009
    #1 sean, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
    Edit 2: The first update will be available soon, and until then, I've dropped the price to $0.99. Limited time only folks!

Just released Toy Box, a 2D physics sandbox.

App Store link

Quick demo video:

Now, as for promo codes, here are 5 freebies (Please post saying which one you take so everyone else knows what's available.)

4H47MEPAPJNW
    9EWWNT6X74JW
    FRYTWPNK3Y36
    3MEYWWRJNFRY
    LF3LY9MEEXEW

And I'm giving away 5 more for the 5 best tweets including a link to the video above. In this case, "best" is an arbitrary ranking including tweet quality and size of audience (your number of followers, plus number of followers of each person who re-tweets). I'll continually search for terms like "iPhone" and "physics" on twitter, but to be sure that I see your tweet, you can post a link to it here, send a (direct) message to me on twitter, or PM or email me. If you're not on twitter, blog posts work as well.

If anyone is interested in posting a review on youtube or a review site, let me know.

email: support@toyboxapp.com
    twitter: @toyboxapp

Edit: Sorry, I can't give out any more free promo codes -- need to save some for the review sites.

2. Negamaki

Negamaki Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    9EWWNT6X74JW
    THANK YOU! Game looks awesome!!

3. learjetzoom

learjetzoom Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    FRYTWPNK3Y36
    Thanks

4. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
  5. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Lucky americans:mad:
    looks awesome, just checking price now

edit: bought :)

6. tymora01

tymora01 Active Member

Jul 2, 2009
    I forgot I didnt have Itunes on my work PC. :( Well, next time I'll be ready.

7. mike84

mike84 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    looks fun but is there some sort of goal u need to accomplish or do u just play around with the stuff?

8. sean

sean Member

Jul 3, 2009
    No, there's no goal. It's just a "sandbox," similar to Phun on the computer.

9. mike84

mike84 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    ah.. oh well still looks neat

10. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I was there seconds after the original post - did not grab a code.. Maybe I should have, but it looked a physics deomnstration. Albeit a nice loking app. I was hoping that some people that would have fun with that sort of things would grab the codes, but lurkers probably got them.

Damn my sense of trying to be conscientious. :eek:

11. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Awesome app Sean, loving it. I have created a: Car on a ramp, train into destructable man and a walking (1 step) man

I recomend this to any sandbox or physics game fans, Xtremely polished

12. sean

sean Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Thanks, I'm really glad you like it.

13. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

So tempted to get this, looks fun to build and interact with.

How much room do you have to build objects in? The video shows a decent size, but is it big enough for those who have played this?

Also, any plans in the future for updates? Right off hand I was thinking of maybe explosive devices and watching parts blow up around the level.

14. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Hmm, this game looks really cool. I'll probably buy it tonight.

It looks like there's only one map - do you plan to add more sean? It would be nice if there were different environments, maybe some with platforms and hills, maybe water. Basically more things to interact with.

There's so much potential for something like this. I'm glad you chose to make it a sandbox style game.

15. foppajoe

foppajoe Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    L@@ks amazing. Ouch! without ragdolls, but has "prop-combining" and it looks to have a lot more than ouch. Is there scene-sharing? It is almost required to share scenes with a game like this.

16. MicroByte

I'm guessing that you could build your own ragdoll and do what you will with it, even hit it with the car you built.

That's it, downloading now...

17. falloutmike

falloutmike Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    VA
    Oooh looks good, too bad no money left on account >.<

18. MicroByte

Played around for about an hour and it's pretty fun so far. Deleting objects is sometimes a pain and it's always funny when you push play and the car you built ends up losing it's wheels because you haven't properly joined it to the body correctly!

Still, it seems like it would be a perfect time killer for just messing with building crazy contraptions and seeing them hobble along... or not!

I would love to see some future updates with more toys to play around with (explosive devices, hint hint!). Also, it would be great to be able to change the background or even download other people's scenes.

A great little toy box and I'm glad I took a chance and purchased it. Thanks Sean! :)

19. sean

sean Member

Jul 3, 2009
    #19 sean, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
    Thanks for all the feedback, I'm glad that those who have tried it are liking it, and I'm happy to hear any suggestions. I'll try to respond to all the questions that have come up so far:

There's only one scenery style right now -- the nighttime background shown in the video. You can't interact with the scenery (the hills, tree, moon, clouds, etc.), it's just there for looks. You can, however, build platforms and hills and any other sort of obstacle by drawing shapes and 'stapling' them in place. The world is really just an empty box -- you provide all the entertainment ;)

I would like to add water someday, but it'll probably be a while...

The world is 64 iPhone-screens, 8 screens wide and 8 screens tall. So 2560x3840 pixels. A ball is 40 pixels across. I'll probably make the world even bigger, I just need to optimize the scenery a bit (covering that big of an area with images takes up a decent amount of memory).

Scene sharing is a top priority for an upcoming update. In the meantime, be sure to save all your best creations.

I'm happy you like it. When paused, you can select an object and press the little red 'x' button to the left of the 'elasticity' slider to delete it. That can be easier than double tapping small objects. I'll try to make this even easier in an update.

I'd prefer to not give away tooo many of my plans just yet, and I can't make any guarantees until the new features are finished. But, over the course of the first few updates, I'd like to add a scene-sharing system, explosives and other new objects, interface improvements, undo and time-rewinding. There's also a fairly exciting (in my opinion) addition being planned to allow for much more elaborate scenarios, but I'm not going to talk much about that just yet :)

Edit: forgot to mention: the ability to rotate, scale and duplicate objects (or sets of connected objects) while paused is planned as well.

20. MicroByte

Thanks Sean, can't wait for future updates, this has been fun playing most of the night away.