iPad Toy bot diaries out! (now $1.99)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by mikeadams, Aug 13, 2008.

1. mikeadams

mikeadams Member

Jul 28, 2008
    professional tattooist
    pittsburgh
    3.99 in the app store

2. matt

matt Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Blogger/Student/Public Relations
    Collins,GA
    Looks pretty neat, I will wait for a gameplay video or review before purchasing.

Anyone have any details on how well the gameplay is?

3. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
  4. ChemicalWeather

ChemicalWeather Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
  5. Shylo Smith

Shylo Smith Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Producer
    Canada
    Happy Happy

I am glad those of you that have played it are enjoying it!
    We loved making it and E2 is going to be even more exciting.

6. Brandonzar

Brandonzar Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Do you guys have a time frame on the releases of the next level pack? Also do we have to buy each pack that comes out or is it an update? It's a great game, but I'm already half way through it in less than an hour.

7. Shylo Smith

Shylo Smith Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Producer
    Canada
    At this point and time we are in discussion and assessment for the delivery date and cost of E2. I can not provide more on this subject currently.

8. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    My expectation is that it will be a separate app (not an update) and will cost comparably. I think the episode decision is quite smart.

Obviously you need the right game for it, and it has to be a good game, and I think Toy Bot qualifies. I'm excited to see the next chapters... (once I get past this current one).

arn

9. Brandonzar

Brandonzar Member

Jul 15, 2008
    That was my guess too, but you can't fault a guy for trying. I think the game is good too, but perhaps not quite long enough. I was glad to see the difficulty pick up a bit in the sewer.

10. jkasanoff

jkasanoff Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Hey, I love the game. Just a quick suggestion though - I would love two thing.

The first, a minor update - I would really like it if there was an audio-free mode. I play on a iPod touch so I can't always listen, and sometimes I like to listen to my own music. The main thing I would want out of this is a visual way to tell whether or not the magnet boots are activated. When I don't have audio, it can be very difficult to tell whether or not I have my boots without jumping on stuff randomly, which can be frusturating.

Second, and this would be a whole new feature for a new entry, but I would love a level creator. Not a huge level, like yours, but a level that only takes up one or two screens. Users would be able to create their own puzzles, and share them with the world. I think that would be awesome, add a ton of value and replayability to the game.

11. Shylo Smith

Shylo Smith Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Producer
    Canada
    Hi jkasanoff;

Some great ideas there! We are in the midst of putting an update out. It will focus on some minor fixes. I have always wanted the ability to have audio set up so that you can listen to in game sounds or select 'my playlist' and it would randomly play music from your list. There are, unfortunately, sdk difficulties in doing this right now.
    As for having the ability to turn the sounds on and off, I think is very valid and one of the fixes we are looking at including for the update.

A level editor would be a fun tool. I know how much fun I have playing with our inhouse editor (the Designers laugh at my levels though). As for having it as an entry release, that might be something to look at after the episodes are completed. But I will not say either yes or no that we will actually do it.

Thanks for the info jkasanoff.
    hope you keep enjoying it!

12. whooley

whooley Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Great game Shylo!! (if a liiiitle short?)

If I could make a few suggestions:
    - Perhaps you could tweak it to make the walking/swinging a little bit faster? Perhaps include a sensitivity setting?
    - I know there's a storyline (love how you introduce it!) which determines the direction future games will take, but have you considered co-operative play (think Fury of the Furries/The Lost Vikings). Not necessarily multiplayer, but one player switching between bots of different ability which need to work as a team to overcome obstacles.

13. Shylo Smith

Shylo Smith Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Producer
    Canada

Hi Whooley,

We were aiming for an average of an hour of game play for episode one. Some people have taken two hours to play, finish and find all the memory cards. Others have done it in 40mins. If you completed it quickly, consider yourself the skilled latter.
    We are doing an update, the walking/swinging has been improved though it is more on performance and not on a visual increase.
    Messing with the sensitivity of the accelerometer is a sticky thing to do correctly and can lead to more issues than solutions.
    That being said; Episode 2 will have an increase in average game play, addition of cooler features and a strong possibility of a solid accelerometer sensitivity option.

As for switching of characters, that is a very interesting idea, but one that steps away from the story and scope of the Toy Bot Diaries. Perhaps that would be something worth looking into after all the episodes have been released.

*We will have a demo up within the next week. In it is a room that you can just mess around in.*

Thank you

14. whooley

whooley Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Oh, you're such a smooth talker! :p

In case my original message seemed negative - thanks again for a very polished game! Certainly one of the best yet.

15. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    This is a great game. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming releases

16. Shylo Smith

Shylo Smith Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Producer
    Canada
    Thanks Battle Born.
    I am really looking forward to them too! Cooler features, better levels!....not sure on the whole cute sounds. But everyone seems to love them. ;)

17. pinchies

pinchies Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Fantastic game :D , finished it in about 2hrs~ on and off, found every memchip except ONE!!

I can't seem to work out where the missing one is, I think it is somewhere near the gear you can rotate, just before you go to the next world, but I can't figure it out!
    Any help would be appreciated! :rolleyes:

The price is REALLY appreciated as a student too, so thanks.
    Also ++ for level editor of some kind.

18. Shylo Smith

Shylo Smith Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Producer
    Canada
    Hi Pinchies.

I am glad you enjoy it!

Which section is it missing from?

I may make a spoiler later to say where they all are hidden. Even knowing where some of them are doesnt make it any easier to actually get them.

19. stevenhall

stevenhall Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Delightful game. Have played through the whole thing 3 times so far and am not bored with it. Would love to see a map of all the memory chips though as I'm stuck finding the last three. Seem to be missing one each from the first three levels.

20. stevenhall

stevenhall Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Hurrah!

Spoke too soon. Just played through the first three levels again and have all the memory chips! Level 1 took the longest, but got there.

[​IMG]