Universal Tower Fortress (by Nitrome)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Andy C83, Nov 15, 2017.

1. musk

musk Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Laussane
    I really like this game, but in my point of view, has the same problems than the rest of the genre (on mobile). Controls. My fingers hurt, and it's always hard to keep track of the buttons (since they are not physical). I usually find myself tapping on the wrong place. But maybe it's just me. Don't take me wrong, I love this, and it's not a critic but a personal opinion. Other than that, is it already optimized for iPhone X? Mine is coming soon and I'd love to play full screen :rolleyes:

2. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    What’s up with all the whiney shit posters on this thread? Y’all acting like a bunch of entitled children.

ANYWHO, game is awesome. As someone who has played almost all roguelike games on IOS, in my personal opinion, Tower Fortress is a fine addition to that library. Yes, it is essentially downwell in reverse. Yes, it proudly bears it’s influence on its sleeve. Yes, it borrows heavily from other games in the genre. However, it does all the things it sets out to do very well, and considering we will likely never see a content update to downwell, Tower Fortress seems like a good game to succeed downwell.

Is it perfect? No. Not at all. I swear my button presses don’t register at times, and the constant adds before every new floor can be a little draining. There is iap in the form of gem packs, and a “premium” add removal iap for $3.99, which isn’t much to most, but I’m sure some will complain about it being too expensive. Whatever

Good job on this one Keybol, I was really interested in it before Nitrome got involved and their additions have really polished off an already promising game. I imagine a few updates down the road and most issues anyone has with this game will be ironed out.

3. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    Wow.... dev was open from the beginning that it was inspired heavily by downwell.... almost like you just opened the game, saw it was similar and thought to share your shit opinion online.

Reviews and comments like this are the reason why some people may pass over an otherwise good game. I can tell you, I’ve played all the way till the 3rd boss, and not ONCE have I run into clipping issues. Also, DUH the game has FORCED adds. It’s free. Most free games on the App Store, include in game advertisements. Considering you can immediately skip most adds, the longest I’ve had to wait being 5 seconds, seems pretty generous in regard to other games that include those stupid 30 second mock up adds that make you play a stupid mini game that isn’t even CLOSE to how the game they are advertising is played.

To anyone seeing this: TOWER FORTRESS IS DOWNWELL IN REVERSE. It’s not perfect but you should try it and formulate your own opinion. Swerve.

4. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Thank you! Yes we are aware of the problems and so we'll have them lined up in the next updates.
    Stay tuned!

5. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Yep, if you've seen the thread I created in Upcoming Games, this is heavily inspired by Downwell. In fact the reason I made this is because I like Downwell so much, and I've been looking for other games like it. I like the portrait orientation as it plays like GameBoy. I figured I could make something as well. There are many more inspirations here, like Megaman, Metroid and Sonic. I just loved playing them when I was a kid, this is like homage to them.

It is also inspired by modern indies like Nuclear Throne, Spelunky and Binding of Isaac. The 3 buff choices at the end is almost a standard system that many games are using it. There is a cost to unlock them here unlike Downwell, but that is inspired by Nuclear Throne's cost to unlock powerups.

We know it's not perfect and we have updates on the way. Thanks a lot!

PS: I am annoyed with those 30 second mock up ads also. The trick is there's a hidden exit button on the top right of that ad, tap on it to close it immediately.

6. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    Honestly that’s the best comparison I can draw, it’s like if downwell and megaman had a baby, with metroids screw attack thrown in. I really appreciate the aesthetic choices and it very very much reminds me of playing Boomer Kawanger’s stage from Mega Man X.

I really like the upgrade system, however the only thing I would add in is MOAR OF EVERYTHING!!! Most specifically tho, I’d like to see more orbital options such as the spike ball. For instance: an electric orb that instead orbits much slower but creates almost like a static field effect that intermittently shoots a small bolt of chain lightning between the nearest enemies, or a drone firing some form of complimentary fire.... just my two cents

ALSO: what happened to hard mode? I beat the game with the 720 suit. I remember an old screen shot of the pre-Nitrome build of TowerFortress and it had a hard mode option?

Love this game btw. Absolutely fantastic. Keep up the good work and I’m excited to see what’s to come in the future.

7. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    this game will never be deleted off of my phone.
    I have about 6 I've never deleted and now this will be added.
    It's one of those games that just don't get old .

8. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Just got time for a pit stop...

Once the controls work flawless (or even landscape mode), i will rate this brilliant pearl with six stars. I totally love this "reverse" game of Downwell. Congrats keybol, congrats Nitrome!

PS: my four dollars went your way, as usual.

9. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Thank you very much. That really felt good for me as developer. Cheers!

10. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Oh those are wonderful ideas for upgrades! I do want to add more of those support weapons like the Spike Orb. I'll planned on something like Familiars who attack nearest enemy then comes back. The static field effect looks cool as I imagine, I'll write it down as well as potential future upgrades. More guns are coming, like homing, bouncer etc. Not final yet but I'll keep you guys posted.

The hard mode is currently hidden. But since you've beaten the game, it's already saved that you have, and when the game is updated with Hard Mode on, you'll be able to play it right away. Just keep your save data in there. I'm just tweaking it, but many variables are set higher, more enemies appear and other stuff even the bosses are buffed.

I'm excited to make the secret rooms, intermission levels and a completely new area with new boss.

11. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Thanks a lot for the support!!

12. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    I can’t wait for future updates. Another thing I thought last night while playing, it’d be awesome to see an upgrade similar to Nuclear Thrones shotgun shoulders. Bullets bouncing all over shit, crazy like. I don’t know why playing this game makes me think of nuclear throne so much but that isn’t a bad thing.

13. paulthemuller

paulthemuller Member

Nov 21, 2017
    I love nitrome guys!

14. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#54 Anotherkellydown, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    One of my favorite games this year. Even rivals DW for fun factor in my opinion (seems slightly easier). Added to Game of the Year list. Couldn't be more pleased!

Runs without issue on my Mini2 - no slowdown like with Downwell. Now let's see if I can beat it - I think my best is 2-2 edit: just got to the 2-3 boss, Wizard Lord (and got my behind handed to me). The library gets pretty hectic with the zigzaging eyeballs & mages shooting electric orbs all over. Passing thru the left or right side of level 2 will put you on the opposite side making for some strategic killing. A nice little change-up.

So far I mostly use the Ranger or Solid suit. More gun damage is really helpful, as is the ability to stand on spikes without taking damage. Who are you guys using and how far has everyone gotten?

15. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    I’ve been using 720 and the Solid suit mostly, the triple jump is very VERY fun if you can use it right, takes a little finesse. Ive beaten the game but used gems to continue :-/ I wish there was an option to disable gem continues.... I get too tempted. The 3rd boss was the toughest to figure out thus far, however with the piercer upgrade and a machine gun, you can fire through his spike barrier and nail him real good like. I can’t wait for hard mode, now to actually beat it without continuing off gems.

16. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Nuclear Throne is one of the modern indies' inspirations. That's a cool idea for new gun upgrade. I'll keep that in mind. Thank you!

17. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Thanks!!!

18. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    I was able to create an updated build to support iPhone X fullscreen! Please stay tuned when the update is released along with other fixes and requests!
    [​IMG]

19. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Now this is something I can be Thankful for! When's it hitting?

20. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    We're doing a few tweaks along with it so hopefully by this month.