Universal Tower Fortress (by Nitrome)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Andy C83, Nov 15, 2017.

1. zinkdogg

zinkdogg Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013

I reinstalled the game. The No Ads button is still there, but I no longer seem to be getting ads at all. Plus, the game isn't crashing anymore.

2. bossjaja

bossjaja Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2015
    United States
    #22 bossjaja, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    I'm really loving this game so far. I'm a sucker for roguelikes, and this one hits the spot pretty well.

I have a few suggestions:

-iCloud save support would be very helpful.

-iPhone X support. Being able to use the entire tall screen for gameplay would be awesome. Not to mention more room for the controls.

-There's a glitch with multitasking. If I exit the app then go back, the game freezes and crashes.

-Could the current gem count be shown in the main HUD? (Instead of in the pause menu)

-I don't know if landscape mode would ever really be possible due to the layout, but it would definitely be comfortable.

-Speaking of the controls, an ootion to resize and move them would be greatly appreciated

-I definitely feel like the $4 price to remove ads is fair for what's included, but I'd like to see more of pretty much everything. For example;

-More weapons (Freeze Gun? Teleport Gun? Rocket Launcher? Etc)
    -More characters and passive abilities.
    -More unique upgrades at the end of stages.
    -More enemy types
    -More stages

Or what about a shop system that lets you spend gems on upgrades for each item and weapon? Or endless mode? Or boss rush? Etc? Etc.

I'd happily spend more $$$ on DLC that included more features and items. There's a really solid base game here, but some extra stuff would really make it 10/10.

Finally, some stray thoughts:
    -The main character gives me a gameboy color kinda vibe, what with the unique pallets and all. I really like it.
    -Gameplay feels great, love the spin attack as well
    -Music and SFX are great.
    -Graphics are solid and nice to look at, as nitrome games usually are.
    -I think my game is glitched. I've seen no ads at all, and I always have the revive option every time I die, is that supposed to happen?
    -What does the combo system do? I haven't noticed anything when I hit high combos. More gems per kill at higher combos would be cool.

EDIT: Yeah, so after playing a bit more, I'm definitely hooked. The only disappointment I have is that the content is a bit limited. For example, 4 zones, 4 bosses, few weapons, no carry over upgrade system, etc. I mean this in the best possible way BTW. I'm enjoying the game so much that I'm upset there isn't more of it.

Maybe it's beyond the scope of this game's goals, but imagine if there were branching paths, secret areas, secret bosses, random rotating bosses for each level, unlockable weapons and upgrades, challenge modes, etc. I'd drop $ so easily for that kind of DLC.

3. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Excellent game, another hit for Nitrome and dev, you have a winner on ur hands #### I agree with the previous post on more weapons, I'd say why not add some more suits as well....an upgrade system would be pretty darn cool, maybe the character could have upgradeable abilities that tie into the armor used. Lots of potential, but this is an excellent game and worth $4 to remove ads. Keep the content coming!!

- CHIEF

4. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    I understand completely. I'll see what I can do with a landscape mode as we do support a landscape version as can be seen in the Steam version. Thank you for trying it out

5. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Oh that's weird. Thanks. I'll keep monitoring the game, but the update is still underway. Cheers!

6. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    #26 keybol, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    @bossjaja

Thank you for a these suggestions! Some of them are already on the task lists and some are in consideration.
    The others are quite interesting suggestions as well and I'm liking them! I'll try to answer each point you raised.

- iPhone X support will be in my priority.
    - iCloud isn't something I've thought of yet but I'll put it in my to-do list.
    - For bugs and crashes I'm working on it. I got overwhelmed with the 2 platform releases at once. But now it's getting smoother.
    - The gem count can definitely fit in the main HUD somewhere. I'll try to layout a possible place to fit it.
    - Landscape mode can be supported as we have that in the Steam version. It will take time but definitely worth it. The virtual button definitely can fit here to separate them. Very good suggestion as mentioned by sakara214ever as well. Here's a mockup
    [​IMG]
    - I agree for an option to resize or even move around the controls. I'll have that in my to do list.

As for the updates on the gameplay, I sure do intended it to have them in future updates! The system I built can support more weapons, more suits, level upgrades and more levels, enemies and bosses. The shop system was also planned as this is heavily inspired by Downwell. I wanted to type here what's next but I'll keep this spoiler free. But the main goal is to have something like Spelunky. Secret areas, shops, intermission levels, more bosses.

When we make more bosses we can support Boss Rush. As for endless mode, I've thought about it. But currently there is a hard mode I've already setup but can turn it on with the next update. It just doesn't buff the enemies' hp but also enhanced other variables that make it tougher for the player.

Thank you for being very supportive! We'll definitely have more features coming. I'm pretty proud of the

As for your stray thoughts:
    The game is heavily inspired by retro games like gameboy ones as I grew up playing them, it's awesome Nitrome's pixel art fits it really well. The music is inspired by Metroid and was done by the talented Zach Striefel!
    -The main character gives me a gameboy color kinda vibe, what with the unique pallets and all. I really like it.
    -Gameplay feels great, love the spin attack as well
    -Music and SFX are great.
    -Graphics are solid and nice to look at, as nitrome games usually are.

It does act weird sometime, I'm looking into it.
    -I think my game is glitched. I've seen no ads at all, and I always have the revive option every time I die, is that supposed to happen?

Combos give you multiplier on gems, x2 on combo 10, x3 on combo 25 and accumulates every 25th increment. It also gives you 1hp on combo 25.
    -What does the combo system do? I haven't noticed anything when I hit high combos. More gems per kill at higher combos would be cool.

You can unlock the suits for now, but the new content are definitely in the pipeline. More weapons and upgrade buffs soon and new intermission levels and secret areas plus shops. Then we'll add more bosses and you can have randomized boss encounters and boss rush.

7. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Thanks a lot!! We'll have new upgrades and weapons next.

8. bossjaja

bossjaja Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2015
    United States
    Thank you for answering the questions I had and taking the time to read my suggestions.

This is a fantastic game, and I'm very happy to hear that new content is planned. I'll be patiently waiting for the new updates :D

9. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    #29 ramzarules, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    I think this is the only Nitrome game except Redungeon i could really like

Glad to see you will work on button placement and permaupgrade system, just the suits is not enough

The main thing that bothers me is that level design can be aggravating, when you only have one narrow hole to go up, all the enemies track you going down that hole, so you cant escape them, and with no gun to shoot up you just Have to get hit.

Finally, i think the gem drops could be increased a bit, but mostly fix the holes and tracking monsters combo please.

Good effort on a reverse downwell, make some stages longer also :)

10. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Thank you. With combo you get multiplier for gems, and there are suits that multiply the gems value also. Some level designs might be infuriating but I did try to make each chunk or challenge beatable without getting hit. One trick is not to get too close to the bats as that will wake them up. You can also try to master the double jump to beat the tracking enemies above. Also, I will add more weapons and one of them is a vertical gun. I forgot to mention in my past replies, I will also add more level chunks and remove ones that players think are unfair or sloppy.

11. Cactuario

Cactuario Active Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Really enjoying this, but are achievements broken for anyone else? I'm logged into Game Center (and the "Welcome, user_name" banner appears when I open Tower Fortress), but I haven't earned any achievements or scores.

12. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    It should be fixed in the next update in just a few hours, when it says version 1.0.2 or 1.0.166 in game options

13. MrToffee79

MrToffee79 Active Member

Sep 1, 2012
    In the game over screen the „remove ads iap button“ remains active although the purchase has been made before. Maybe there is a way to change the button to link to the in game store instead for those who payed for the ad removal?

14. keybol

keybol Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    That's a great idea. I'll have that in the next update. Maybe a rate us button and link to the game store when a player purchase 'remove ads'.

15. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    I updated last night and now I'm unable to open. I was psyched as I thought this was the X optimization update, but guess thats coming later. I'm on the latest ios on the X.

I know you are working hard on this and wanted to give you the heads up. This game is amazing so keep up the good work!

16. dydiec

dydiec Member

May 20, 2012
    Bar on "game over" screen??

Does anyone know what the bar that fills up on the "game over" screen does or indicates?

17. Cactuario

Cactuario Active Member

Sep 4, 2014
    It's adding the gems you collected on that run to your total and calculating how long until you can purchase the next suit - when the bar is filled, you'll see a helmet pop up in the color of the most expensive armor you can afford. If you're saving up gems for a more expensive suit and aren't buying cheaper ones, it will keep showing you the best suit you can currently afford.

For instance, I currently have 1,100 gems. At the end of the level, the bar fills up and shows me the "Cash" suit helmet, which costs 1,000 gems. Once I earn 1,200 gems it will show the "Trigger Happy" helmet.

18. dydiec

dydiec Member

May 20, 2012
    Ahhh... Okay. That makes sense now. Thank you for the help!

19. Segeljakt

Segeljakt Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Hi, I love the game. The only thing is that my thumbs get tired after playing for a while. The buttons are too far down for me. I think it could be fixed easily by extending the touch area for the buttons to about half of the screen. You don't need to change anything visually.

20. Praymettin

Praymettin Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    #40 Praymettin, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    This is not "inspired" by Downwell...This is shamelessly "copied" from Downwell and painted to fancy Nitrome graphic style that's all. The weapon types, monster types and behaviour, the concept(yeah you climb this time,too different...), 3 upgrade choices at level ends(choices themselves are also copied), styles(heroes this time,how original...), all are directly taken from Downwell. Shame on you Nitrome. You dropped the quality quite lot with these latest games.

O and here is another for those kinds of people who do not care about stealing ideas. The gameplay is also mediocre, the walls, ceilings and ground has clipping issues, the character artwork is too large for some passages yet it manages to get through. Also the game has forced ads if you don't buy the ad remover as always.

Verdict: Replay Downwell or go get it now, as it is on sale now (And it is a buck! 1/4 of the ad remover only in this game.)