Tower Defense Games: Favorite games and favorite towers?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by budleiser, Sep 14, 2012.

1. budleiser

budleiser Member

Jul 19, 2011
    I really like tower defense games like Defense Grid (PC only I think), Kingdom Rush, GeoDefense. In Defense Grid I really like 2 of the turrets they have. Meteor has super long range, and does a lot of damage + splash but is slow. The other is the concussion tower, which seems to just spit grenades out in random directions whenever a creep is nearby.

In Kingdom Rush I like that towers have a binary level up track, so eventually you upgrade it into one style or the other. My favorite is the mage tower that teleports groups back a bit.

What are some of your favorite tower defense games, and more specifically what are your favorite towers?

2. cmo

cmo Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I loooove tower defense games. But I don't think my favorites are the most popular in the genre.

The ones that come to mind are all on the web:

Gemcraft (1/2/3) -- A Flash classic! I love the mechanic of upgrading a gem instead of a tower, and being able to combine gems for varying effects. The orange gem, which gives you more money to invest in upgrading your gems as it hits enemies, is awesome for strategic decisions.

Defender's Quest -- Also non-standard since it uses characters instead of towers and has a pretty in-depth story. It's also totally overlooked, probably because they dared to try charging $5 on Kongregate for the full game (totally worth it, by the way). The archer is fun in this game because of the balance between a huge range and weak attacks. But the healer is probably most interesting, simply because of the concept of your towers being "killed" and having to be supported by a weaker unit type.

Immortal Defense -- Another story-driven tower defense game, another one that's totally offbeat. I just recently started playing this game, but it's a real time-suck. The last tower you receive has a giant radius, so it's tough to place, and is extremely expensive, but it's also very powerful. The cool thing about it is that each (also really expensive) upgrade completely changes its attack type, and thus the dynamics of the stage.

I've pretty much hated all mobile-only tower defense games. They either bore me to tears or make me want to break the phone due to crappy control schemes (and yeah, I'd include Fieldrunners in this.. so bland, so boring). So, please tell me you're developing a great mobile adaptation. ;)

3. Balloon Loons

Balloon Loons Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Field runners is obviously the best in tower defense.

4. budleiser

budleiser Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Ohhhhhh

Your post reminded me of a game that I liked on thr iOS that was only half finished when they released it. It's a 3d tower defense and there are circles on the grund you can place knight, archers,mages or healers. Which is tricky because your knights sometimes walk up and do combat out of the range of your archers and healers. So obviously your "towers" would get mowed down, but eventually they revive and stand back up again. But if they stand up alone their all but useless.

What was it called and did they ever truly finish it!?

5. SiXX

SiXX Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Game Developer
    Bangkok
    (For making a defense game myself, I should avoid talking about my own game :p. )

I played a lot of tower defense games on both PC and mobile. Some of my favorites are not a pure tower defense. I love a good combination of TD and other genre. Some game are released on many platform, but I'll give my review on the platform that I played it.

PC

Orcs Must Die! - TD/Action/Shooting mixed. This is my #1 favorite by far. The game uses many kind of traps and units to defend plus your main character that can change weapon and spell. Spring trap that launch orc off the path into lava pit is my favorite. :D

Sanctum - TD/FPS. This one has multiplayer features. It geared toward FPS players more than TD players. But the option to made floors in addition to tower blocks is nice. (OMD! also has this option)

Flash/Online

Cursed Treasures - The game theme and art style reminds me of warcraft. There are only 3 primary tower types that can be upgraded to 4 more types each. (if I remember correctly). The economic system in this game let you balance your gold and mana, which is good for strategy gamer like me. There're also many skill to upgrade along the way that keep up after the missions.

iPhone

Sentinel 3 - I didn't play the first 2 games, but the third in the series is done very well overall. It has many feature that make me feel like I command the battle more than just build and see how it unfold.

6. budleiser

budleiser Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Thanks for the heads up on OMD! and Sentinel I will go check those out!

The TD your working is Tiny Defense? Or another one?

7. budleiser

budleiser Member

Jul 19, 2011
    I am loving Orcs Must Die 2. I picked it up today and haven't put it down.

8. SiXX

SiXX Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Game Developer
    Bangkok
    budleiser, I worked on Tiny Defense. I haven't try OMD!2 yet. But will definitely do someday.

A new one to add. - The King's Path (iOS)

The hidden gem of TD that I just stumbled upon lately.
    The game may looks childish and the graphic is cartoonish and not so pretty.
    But the gameplay is just simply good. The towers and creeps in this game always associate with one or more element types - says Melee/Fire/Ice/Poison.
    Which is easy to plan ahead because the game always tell enemies weakness before you go into the level.

There're also some RPG element here like upgradable equipment that generally give you boost. But what I like most is when you just begin the game with a new profile. It will ask for your character's past such as "How you spend time as a children?" The choices may be - Playing with other kids, Training in fight, Reading books, etc. What you answer will reflect in your starting skill set. This reminds me of some old RPG that I played in the DOS days. (Bloodnet for example)

9. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    no one mentioned "the creeps" an ios classic and "gem keeper" which is extreemly polished