Universal Towelfight 2: The Monocle of Destiny (by Butterscotch Shenanigans, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gabrien, Feb 26, 2013.

1. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    It honestly was not worth the download.

I'm restraining myself from posting a slew of DSS games because it's a favorite style of mine in gaming. Minigore is one of the best for spot on controls, gameplay is just a tad repetitive and shallow. *donning flame retardant jacket* But what it does it does amazingly.

Here's a thread on the topic though: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=34474&highlight=stick

Okay, I'm gonna suggest just one, Meow Meow Happy Fight. *running off to hide*

2. KevinS

KevinS Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Lol, you guys are DEFINATLY on my top 10 favourite devs list! :) I hope you release an update where your able to put the d-pads in the bottom corners of the screen. It's great your trying to do something different, but I've always preferred them in the bottom corners.

Also, does anyone have any tips on beating Shroom. He seems way harder then any previous bosses, and I want Bella back. :(

3. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Yes meow is one of the best DSS games. Minigore 2 isn't shallow but at least 2 is getting updates compared to one (which is downright shallow)

4. WooHooII

WooHooII Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    I honestly don't even know what Shroom's attacks are. I'm sure he was using some, because I was almost dead once the fight was over, but at that point I had so many explosives loaded into El Clop that I could barely see anything.

So my recommendation would be to get as many high-powered weapons from the dungeons as you can. They're very effective.

5. sirrozha

sirrozha Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    This game is awesome Isaac tribute. For a buck it's a steal.

6. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    WOW. CONGRATS.

The game was released two days ago but you've still got a spot on the Wednesday release list!! This happens very, very rarely. This shows that your game IS special!

7. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    +1 agree

8. ButterscotchSeth

ButterscotchSeth Active Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 28, 2013
    Hey gang! Seth from Butterscotch here. I'm the guy that punches variables in the booleans.

We just got word from Apple that they have approved our request for an expedited review of the patch. What does that mean? Nothing yet! But it's a good sign. We'll keep you posted!

In the meantime, if you have an iPhone 5, here's a picture of Arnold Schwarzenegger from Total Recall to brighten your spirits.
    :eek: AGHWHGWWHAHAHAGHAGH

9. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    get to tha choppa its a booohahajsoomb

10. Ivan@LambdaMu

Ivan@LambdaMu Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    My fingers are numb. Pretty sure i'll get blisters by tomorrow.

works and looks absolutely great on the ipad mini. As the video review said much earlier in the post, this game is on par with binding of Isaac save for a few minor control issues.

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

That normally means 6-12 hrs until patch release, iirc.

12. bscotchshenani

bscotchshenani Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Hopefully all you i5'ers will have the game running silky smooth by the end of the day!

We just got nominated for Game of the Week over on Pocketgamer. I don't know if you guys are rival gangs, a la West Side Story, but! We're mobilizing our fans to vote us up and completely destroy that point and click Cognition game that's currently in the lead.

BECAUSE WHY POINT AND CLICK WHEN YOU COULD POINT, FACEPLODE, AND DESTROY?

It would help us roughly 1 METRIC TON if you guys could swallow your hatred and give us an upvote over there. And get your friends to do it, too.

BSCOTCHES RIDE TOGETHER, DIE TOGETHER.
    and also vote together.

GOTV!

http://www.facebook.com/PocketGamer1/app_156970457689987

13. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I just voted for you and it looks like my vote has taken it to a tie :D your going to win! I'm sure

14. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    This game's really good. I recommend it to anyone that likes meatier games. Three annoyances:

1. I wish it was drag-anywhere to move/shoot rather than fixed virtual D-pads.

2. Instead of being randomly generated with permadeath, it's just one really big map. Closer to the original Zelda really. But I mean, if you're going to crib from Binding of Isaac, seems like it's kind of missing the point just a little to not have things be randomized/replayable?

3. The huge amount of onscreen effects make it pretty difficult to see anything, especially small enemy bullets. Can work through this, but still not a great thing.

Right now I'm using the Clops, then loading it with every single homing bullet I can find. The spaces that don't have a homing bullet have the unicorn and twitbird instead. I can see EVEN LESS of what's going on, but it barely matters because everything dies anyway.

15. bscotchshenani

Feb 26, 2013
    1) It actually is, we just for some reason didn't put in a visual indicator that the pad is being moved with your finger. This is updated in the 1.03 patch, which comes after the i5 emergency patch. We've also got an update that lets you swap the dpads and the bottom ui pieces, so people who want the more traditional dpad location, or who are on a bigger device, have that option.

2) I lobbied heavily for permadeath early on and we did actually have a version with it. Being a mobile game where play sessions are a median 5 minutes in length, and where there are so many weapons and augments, we decided it would best fit the platform to do away with the whole lose-all-your-goodies approach. It was also extremely punishing. Doing away with it let us make the game harder overall, boss fights crazier, etc, and let us worry slightly less about balance issues, since people won't be losing all their progress with every death.

While we took from BoI and Zelda for design inspiration we stumbled on the sort of collection-mania that is quite compelling for a lot of people and looked to capitalize on that instead.

All valid criticisms, we simply chose to go a different direction!

3) We were going for a feeling of complete chaos later in the game, so I will take this as word that we succeeded. It works as a handy balance to the fact that you are becoming godly by the time the game ends - you're moderately hindered by your own face explosions.

as for El Clops -
    You and I use basically the same strategy! Seth actually uses the dubgogz (who does that) and loads up on whales, goats, and everything explosive.

My favorite 'Jectile is the owl. Slamming enemies around is so satisfying, especially once you get it fully augmented.

16. TehTpyoKing

TehTpyoKing New Member

Feb 28, 2013
    I've taken the same approach as Seth. I'm super loaded on explosive things. Whale, Dog, Elephant, Shark... The volume of explodeyness is pretty hardcore.

I am SUPER impressed with how well this holds up on my phone. I have one of the crummiest 4G Androids that exists and it seizes up in *most* apps. But this one runs like a champ! ... right until my battery dies, then I recharge and go again!

17. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Might be talking about different things... by "fixed" I mean that the center of the D-Pad never moves, the center is currently is always in the same location. By "drag-anywhere" I mean wherever you place your thumb is the center of the stick, so then you don't have to worry about missing a static D-Pad. Check out my game, Mage Gauntlet, or Age of Zombies (there's a free version) to see what I mean.

18. bscotchshenani

Feb 26, 2013
    Ah I see. We actually considered the fully-mobile dpad, but the problem in our game is that the way we decided to do our ui (like an oldschool handheld thing) means that there are activated buttons all over the freakin' place. So doing all the checking for whether or not a player is trying to activate something besides the joystick would be cause for some headaches. Plus, we have two joysticks, so we'd have to further split the screen to left/right, etc.

It seemed the best method given our constraints!

Btw those games are completely beautiful. Mage Gauntlet especially. I think I know what I'll be doing tonight.

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Have I missed something or is it a bug? Playing on an iPod touch 5th gen, the games portrait not landscape which seems crazy. The tiny controls don't help

Is it honestly meant to be portrait? Or is it an iPod touch issue?

20. bscotchshenani

Feb 26, 2013
    It was a surprise present on launchday. It's meant to be in landscape so the controls are roughly 3x what you're using (YOU TROOPER). We've got an expedited fix coming through from apple hopefully by tonight.

Sorry for the shenanigans.