Universal Towelfight 2: The Monocle of Destiny (by Butterscotch Shenanigans, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gabrien, Feb 26, 2013.

1. TheBeastlyNinja

TheBeastlyNinja Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Computer stuff
    Right behind you
  2. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    I wonder if it may be better to "fix" the joystick in place because of the D-pad graphic the devs put on the screen? I have taken hits because I press the down-button on the D-pad graphic expecting my character to move down, but he stands there because I need to SLIDE down from where my finger touched the screen, which is never indicated on the screen itself. This disconnect between the graphic and what you ACTUALLY have to do makes movement really wonky as a result, and throws off aiming as well.

Another possibility is an Analog Stick option, where you tap-hold a pad in the middle of the movement area, and moving that around moves the character accordingly.

It's a bonkers game otherwise XD

3. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    bought just for the fact the devs showed up to play a decent ballgame....and the fact that this is the coolest lil quirky dual stick ive seen in ages.....props

4. Germy_Wermy

Germy_Wermy Active Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Based on everything I read here, and my love for dual stick shooters, I just got this as well, and already I have made Hardik (whatta name, eh?) puke twice!

I am having some problems with the controls, as mentioned in this thread, so I hope that the fix would... erm... fix that!

5. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    +1 to this

6. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Are there any sort of online leaderboards or plans to add Game Center for achievements etc.?

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Bought it for my iPhone 5, was weirded out about the portrait thing, then I came here to find out what's what. So I have to wait a bit for a fix, no biggie -- gotta love your humbleness and gratitude. And here's the thing: I ended up loading the game in my iPad Mini, and all I can say is: Bravo. Your game is awesome in so many ways, it kind of blows my mind.

8. shimmy83

shimmy83 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2013
    Washington D.C.
    This game is too much... Too much AWESOME. Picked it up, can't wait until landscape is working for my iphone 5.

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Holy cow, this looks good. Really love the "New Games" sidebar on the TA app..easy way to find the latest hidden gems. Looks like a Minigore/Binding of Isaac cross with a cool weapon system. Great start to what should be an eventful release week for the iOS.

10. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    From your stove and walls I'd say you live close to Jamieson? Near Ted Drewes? (fellow St Louisian here) How did you like all that snow that we didn't get today?

So I work a long *&% day today, come home, and get entertained by this glorious thread. Theres a man shooting crap from his monocle. Someones simmering chili (with green beans in it... WHAT???!!!) while posting photos of hummus. Theres too many people named Sam.

Shut up and take my money!!!!

(Cards won 15-4 today) :p

11. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I think the problem is that while the game allows you to control movement anywhere on screen, in order to INITIATE movement you must begin at the spot where the graphical representation is. This is what causes problems, as when we lift a thumb, then place it straight down again wherever it was, we lose control.

Just have an option for "floating pads" as now, that also initiate wherever the thumb is placed. You can even completely remove the pad graphics in this instance. And another option for no frills fixed pads. This should please everyone.

12. shadax

shadax Active Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Anyone else as disappointed as I am that there's no GameCenter support?

13. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ditto this suggestion, although I haven't tried playing yet. This what I was thinking while reading through the thread. That said, i did slam the "buy" button before I even got clear of the first page. I wish you guys lots of luck and success!

14. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    The screenies dont really look like something I would like to play, but I'll throw you guys a dollar anyways because I like your style.

You guys are doing a great job winning fans here.

15. Alc819

Alc819 Active Member

Jun 11, 2012
    This game is awesome except for one flaw. Being used to the dual joysticks on the BOTTOM of the screen, it is uncomfortable and awkward for them to be in the middle. Make an option to move them and this game would be near perfect. Thank you.

16. bscotchshenani

bscotchshenani Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2013
    HEYOOOO!

First. Just look at this chili.

[​IMG]

Second, I will address people's comments all in this post, so BEAR WITH ME.

Ha! Close but NO. I live near the Loop, which provides ample shopping and near-mugging experiences. One of the best streets in America, for sure. And I loved all that snow we didn't get today, as I got my car drivewaytrapped when the snowpocalypse happened last week.

DAMN YOU SLUUUUUUUUUSH!

GAMECENTER
    Shadax
    Snooptalian
    I am disappoint. The thing with online leaderboards, achievements, etc., is that they're actually quite large time sinks for development but, if the game doesn't actually get traction, become completely useless. It's like a russian nesting doll of risk. We're doing a wait-and-see approach on these, though Seth has looked into it and found that we can do posting to gamecenter leaderboards but apparently not retrieval. When we become certain of it will finagle a work around.

A question on this front - The things we can conceive of leaderboarding (NEW WORD BLAM) are 1) time to beat the game and 2) arena challenge times. If we end up doing this are there any others you'd want to see?

MOVE THEM STICKS
    Alc819
    We put the joysticks in the middle of the screen because one of our family members is a hand doctor and we wanted to spread arthritis LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Just kidding. We actually placed them in the center with the exact reasoning you suggested - despite the conventional wisdom that thumbsticks go in the corners it actually makes your thumbs curl down rather than being extended, requiring more muscle contraction on a continual basis. We DID have them in the bottom corners in our prototype before taking a step back and thinking...WHY IS EVERYONE PUTTING THESE HERE? When we realized it was more out of tradition than good design sense we quickly scrapped it and placed them just above center, where people's thumbs are likely to rest.
    We can't please everyone, but I hope this response suffices in helping you understand our decision on the dpad location.

CONTROLS
    Gabrien
    MrAlbum
    HOKEH, SO.

Seth has been whipping up some new controls this morning and is nearing completion of our next step to perfecting the things. We're going to do it incrementally so we can get good feedback and not accidentally break things, a la iphone 5 landscape mode.

Floating pads were something we experimented with and found that they tended to be more of a problem than their unfloaty counterparts. Trust me we slapped this thing around like a hideous step-child and had no luck (can I say that here because I DID).

What we've done in the next patch is actually show what's happening with the dpads - they do indeed follow your fingers around, but, as many of you have astutely pointed out, this is not represented visually at all. SO NOW IT IS.

This is one of those obvious things that kind of slaps you in the face once you release.

Secondly, we've added a MOVEMENT section in the main menu where you can hop in and choose if you want pure 360 movement or the 8 directional movement (which comes in the 1.02 patch).

LASTLY. Since we can patch this mother in the span of hours on googleplay, but not on iOS (because apple is great like that), we'll be rapidly modifying the controls and using the feedback from our android lovers to tweak the controls for the iOS 1.03 patch, which should hopefully make them way better.

Also, I'm SUPER FREAKING PUMPED because we just got on kotaku.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

17. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #77 ironsam80, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    This is good news! There is also there 360 shooting or only movement?
    Congrats for the article in Kotaku, you deserve a lot of attention, your game is awesome!

Edit: Also for the buttons position, i think in the middle for iPhone is perfect, but for iPad is a little bit high to keep your hands all the time there (much taller device).

18. bscotchshenani

bscotchshenani Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Ah, yes. In the end every design decision has some draw backs. Hopefully we don't cause too many hand cramps!

Movement only. The shooting happens only in the 4 cardinal directions. Some people have mentioned wanting it to go full 360 but this is another design choice we made to get the right difficulty and feel for the game.

Restricting the shooting capability to just the 4 directions mean that players must risk themselves in order to shoot an enemy who is also firing a projectile. This let's us do a lot of fun things with enemy mechanics (like charging, crazy projectile patterns, etc) that are easier for us to balance.

One of the early prototypes actually does have 360 degree firing, but we found that on top of reducing the complexity of enemy behaviors it actually made the game immensely more frustrating - lining the character up with an enemy and hitting the proper 4 point direction is way easier than simply aligning your thumb with them based on your characters angular relation.

It's one of those ideas that looks good on paper and horrible in reality.

LIKE A HIDEOUS MONSTER.

19. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Hehe... Thanks for the feedback.

20. TheBeastlyNinja

TheBeastlyNinja Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Computer stuff
    Right behind you
    Darn, I had an oil change today and that darn Apple still hasn't approved that iPhone 5 update. I would've played the heck out of that game haha