iPad TouchSports Tennis v1.0.5 update. What next–Career Mode or WIFI-Multiplayer?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wastedyuthe, Jan 16, 2009.

?

What would you prefer next?

1. Local multiplayer

2.2%
  2. Career mode for single player

97.8%
  3. Local multiplayer

2.2%
  4. Career mode for single player

97.8%
  1. #1 wastedyuthe, Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
    New update out now!

"Featuring new stadiums with clay and grass courts."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    i've been thinking about getting this while it is still a buck. how is it? is it confusing? can someone post a video? thanks

3. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Thank God!
    I was so tired of that stadium!

4. #4 wastedyuthe, Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
    Takes a little time to get used to the controls, but becomes second nature after 10 minutes. I wish there was a proper tournament mode. The tournament mode in it atm is just one single match where you set the players, the court, difficulty, game and set count. That's it. Still, at 59p it's well worth the money.

5. smokin okin

smokin okin Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    yo this new update is sick

6. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    so u tap where u think it will go and it automatically hits it back?
    and is the festive version optional?
    thanks.

7. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Does the player speed and ball speed change accordingly?

Other changes, or just minor tweaks? Looks like this was the main ostensible change.

8. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Correct. as long as you get there on time to return the volley.

9. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    hmmm... i think i might pass on this one. is it replayable or does it get boring?

10. Can't see an option to revert back to the festive version. Mind you, I am so fed up with that version now (other than Anna's outfit :p ).

To control:
    You tap anywhere on your side of the court and your character will run to that spot. You tilt your device forward/backward and left/right to determine where you want to return the ball. Eg. tilting back and left will aim to the left of the court by the net. Your character will automatically return the ball if they are close enough to do so. Easy and Medium have guides to show where you are aiming your return (Easy also shows where the optimum place for you to stand to return the ball).

11. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    hmm... i think i might pass. dunno why.

12. Hehe! I haven't actually had time to test yet! Too busy posting pics and replies on here :D . Will let you know in a minute.

It does get repetitive, but then so do games like Slotz. Without a proper tournament or career though, its good for shorter periods of play.

13. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    ok official; i'll pass. now to get back to slotz.

14. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    *sigh* I'm gonna miss anna's outfit.

15. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #15 salsamd, Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
    For $0.99, there is no reason to pass. It is on balance the best Tennis game on the iphone so far. The obvious shortcoming is the inability to finely control speed/spin of one volley.

I do hope HHG has fixed the problem of the AI "lobbing" the ball over the player's head when he/she is at the net...

16. I have had a go on all three courts, and I disappointingly can't seem to feel any difference in ball behaviour no matter which one I am on. If the ball has more or less bounce in each, then I haven't noticed it. Also, funnily enough, the UK grass court still has a sound effect like the ball is bouncing on a hard court. It sounds silly when it's supposed to be grass.

The aim aid (what ever it's called) has now been changed to a yellow-filled circle too, which is ok.

17. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I thought it was good when it first came out and I bought it at the launch price...for 99cents I think it offers enough challange

I wish they would add more players for a longer torney....maybe some trophies.....just a little more content is all

18. Another thing of note. Look at the screenshots I took on the first post again. The court select screens have a 'Next' button to press after selecting one. Yet the player select screen hasn't got a 'Next' button. You either have to tap the flag button or the character to confirm. It could do with a Next button the same as the court select.

19. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Unfortunate. Seems cosmetic, rather than functional...:(

20. Exactly buddy. I asked if one of the animations could be tweaked too and it hasn't.
    Basically there is one move when you return the ball, when your character twirls around before hitting the ball. The problem with it is you can't move your character until the twirl animation has finished, and it doesn't finish till a second or so AFTER you hit the ball! So the moment you return, you'll want to move back to the centre of the court and you can't until it finishes. Annoying.

To people who haven't got this game, these are small annoyances on what is otherwise a great Tennis game. There are things wrong with it, and it needs a career mode. But it plays very well on the whole (as you can see on the vid). I still recommend it for 59p.