TouchArcade - The Best New Games - (by TouchArcade.com, LLC)

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Sanuku, May 8, 2012.

1. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    congrats on the release, I'm already digging it quite a bit. I do have one thing to add to a wish list that people may or may not care about...

when viewing forums, I went a few pages into a thread, posted a reply, went to another part of the forum...and then tried to get to the main app screen. I could very well be missing something, but the only way I could get back was to hit the button on the top left (which took me back through every page I had just visited, including where I was posting in a thread) until I finally went through the history of the last several minutes of browsing. I'd imagine a much more active user would go crazy after posting, searching, or just reading for a while.

am I overlooking a button to go to the app's home screen?

and I don't want to come off as dogging the app on day one, so I have to say everything else so far has been brilliant. I'm saving most of the gushing for the iTunes review...

2. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Does it not do just this if you tap the grey number (reply total). It seems like it has been jumping to first unread for me when I tap the number.

3. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #23 tops2, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
    Press and hold the back button to return to the "home page" of the app. I discovered this by experimenting... I'm guessing there's some not so obvious features in this app.

The other thing that others have mentioned is hitting the number of responses for the thread to either jump to last page of the thread or newest post since your last visit.

Otherwise..love the app so far. I guess we're all in the learning to adjust how we visit/use TA stage right now.

The only main suggestions I can think of so far for me is:
    - Universal
    - Landscape mode
    - Ability to edit posts
    - Jump to bottom of post/article
    - Maybe for articles, put the comments button at top (don't need this if there's a button to jump to bottom of article)?

4. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Greetings,

Congratulations to Touch Arcade on the release of your new gorgeous app. This will undoubtedly be my preferred method of navigating the site from now on and perhaps the leading app for iOS gaming news and discussion - It has certainly surpassed Slide to Play's App in content, design, and functionality.

There are a few issues I have had with it that I would like to bring to your attention:

1. Not all games/articles listed in the search results with an "upcoming" label can be added to the watch list. When you click on the article, the binoculars button is not present. The most important game for me to add was Steph Thirion's Faraway. A search yields three articles from the main site, each labeled upcoming, but there is no binocular function present within the articles themselves to be able to add the game to the watch list. I am using Faraway as an example, but it has happened to me several times with different games.

2. The App back button is linked with the forum thread page buttons. If you move forward several pages in a thread, the main app back button takes you back through each page rather than returning you to the parent forum which makes for cumbersome navigation.

Thank you for making this tremendous service available to us for free. I wish you much success.

5. Almy

Almy Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    So far a neat app but I really really wish it had a landscape mode. Would also enjoy seeing a landscape full screen mode. Other things I would like are in Tapatalk, so spend some time with that app and just include it as much of it as possible.

6. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming.

In the forums if you want to go back to the main app, you can either 1) press and hold the back button or 2) triple tap it

arn

7. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    This is because we've only created the upcoming tracking with the app. So old stories won't necessarily benefit from it. All new stories should.

Maybe we'll revisit some of the more popular older upcoming stories so people can get them on their watch list.

arn

8. Orgasmic

Orgasmic Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Love the app, but cant set a bookmark or watch-list on a thread.

9. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Just added this feature. The message count box on the right of each thread item is "lit" (orange) if there are new posts in the thread.

Thanks for the other feedback - will certainly work towards getting things as close to what folks are asking for as possible.

bp

10. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Protecting the Lands from Brona
    Paranor
    Testing testing 123

This app rocks, obv there are some issues but that's what updates are for!

I like all the suggestions and I'll have some to add.

Can't tell you how excited I am about this app, it's about time :p

11. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    My absolute favorite feature:
    Disabling notifications during certain times of day. A win from me.
    However, does this mean notifications will be held back and all appear once they're allowed, or still appear silently, or disappear into the ether?

Less favorite:
    When replying to a thread, I like seeing the posts above mine, in case I get distracted and/or forget what was said.

If I press the 'back' button in safari, I can press forward and my message will be saved. Not in the app.

I prefer the navigation buttons (back /forward /etc) on the bottom of the screen.

Overall, at this stage, I prefer browsing the forum from Safari. The rest of the site I hadn't visited that often, so no comment yet.

12. Almy

Almy Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    I have to say that the app icon with the new logo is perfect.

13. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #33 backtothis, May 8, 2012
    The TA app is a pretty incredible effort.

After being active here for three years, I can easily say that browsing the site with the app is the definitive TA experience. Everything is better on the app in comparison to the website besides the forums. It takes a long time to scroll through posts, etc. That's more of a screen size restriction than anything though. Don't get me wrong, it's still 10x better than scrolling through the forums with Safari on the iPod.

The "Hot New Games" section is still a little weird. Not that it really matters though since TA users catch the latest releases long before. It's strange that the hottest new games include updates though. There should be another filter for that like there is on AppShopper.

What I really like is how easily you can check out the latest reviews and news articles. I know the star system sucks, but with the filters, catching up on the best releases, even if you've been gone for a month from the iOS scene, is going to extremely simple now. Also, you can now actually comment on front page articles on the iDevice!

I'd imagine many people will find the watch list useful. I've personally never used any kind of watch list before for iOS games and never will.

The one word I'd use to describe the TA app? Intuitive. Definitely not going to be using TA on Safari anymore on my device.

5 stars.

Edit: Oh yes, the icon? Looks freaking great on my iPod. 95 on the overall free charts already, nice job.

14. wilwired

wilwired Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Loving the new TA app, well done guys! Now for the Macrumors version... :D

15. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    #35 The Bat Outta Hell, May 8, 2012
    Testing

Edit: needs an edit button, other than that it's really, really good.

16. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I think for the purpose of browsing the main site; news, reviews, etc. the app is a significant improvement. The forums though, I still prefer to browse on the website for the extra features and functionality.

17. IntrinsicGames

IntrinsicGames Well-Known Member

Absolutely loving the TA app, fantastic job!

Only thing is would like the ability to hide/show the keyboard when typing responses.

18. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I really wish I could opt out of the notifications about new front page articles, but keep notifications for private messages or other useful things like that. I really don't need to be notified of new articles as soon as they are up. It makes me want to turn off the notifications, but I want private messages notifications. Darn.

19. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    The new article notifications can be turned off. In fact, they are off by default. Go to settings.

There are no PM notifications yet, but there will be.

arn

20. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Just saw the OP video. That has to be Hodapp's choice of music, lol.