TouchArcade is looking for writers!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Eli, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    You should bring back Arn. His style was simple but effective. I'm not just saying that.

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    +1...or beg Big Albie to come back. What's up with all of these 1000+ word reviews for $1 games. Something $4.99 and up is understandable, but really now..$1 games that people just impulse buy? Keep it under 500, keep it simple, spare us the history lesson.

Lol does TA have another new writer? Does no one own any new games? Why would anyone be interested in a game so many months old?

Bleh..

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

It seems we can't win. If we post thorough reviews, people want short reviews. If we post short reviews, people want thorough reviews. If we post about new games, people complain that we skipped some old game. If we post about an old game that fell between the cracks on a week where not much was released, people complain about us not posting about new games.

The best part about my job is that I have the assurance that no matter what I do I know it will always make someone angry!

4. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    That's really not what I said. You know I love your site and frequently voice that sentiment in threads and even pms to you and other members of the board. I've definitely never complained about the site before now in any case. I'm not even complaining, just offering my two cents, however unpleasant I make it sound.

5. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    No complaints here. I prefer a mixture of both! ;)

Worst case is if a review on the front page isn't enough in detail, there will always be plenty of info in the designated thread(s). Got a specific question? Post it in the designated thread(s) and your question will be answered in due time. At least this is how I've always seen it...

6. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    #106 Dazarath, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
    Eh, I'd rather hear about an old game that was missed than a new game just because it's new. There are some weeks when the number of worthwhile releases is few to none, and I'd rather not see forced reviews on the best of the not-so-good. Plus, there could easily be some hidden gems that most of us missed due to lack of coverage (frontpage or threads), and I'm sure some people would like to learn about those.

7. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Lol I was referring to the review of Hunters, which came out over two months ago. I agree that there's weeks where releases are slow, but two and a half months old? I was asking why none of the new reviewers had any new games since Brian wrote his on The Impossible Game last week, which is over a year old..it's whatever. Like I said, games that people already insta-/impulse- buy for a dollar don't need massive reviews, but just a short and concise one with a gameplay video. More expensive games that people are on the fence about would merit a lengthy review instead.

8. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    +1 to Big Albie! A long-time, respectable member. ;)

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

We do those too. I have no idea why it needs to be an either/or thing. For a lot of people, price isn't as much as an issue as much as it is just searching for a cool game that's worth their time regardless of whether it's free, a buck, or ten bucks. If something doesn't interest you, simply scroll down to the next news story.

10. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Alrighty then. Meh, I still read everything on the frontpage even if I'm not interested.

11. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    #111 The Bat Outta Hell, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011
    I prefer reviews with an artsy intro about what it'd be like to be inside the game.

Which is why I want iReview hired.

Favorite review: Flight Control
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=16995

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=16918

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=16919

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=16417

12. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    No offense, but when I read a review, don't want to be met with a small novel as the first paragraph which doesn't explain anything about the game. I'm not testing these reviewers on their literary imagination but instead just want to hear their opinions of a certain game.

I guess its your own opinion though.

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

iReview owns, I seriously miss that kid.

14. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I agree here. When I read overblown reviews like this it just sounds like the person is trying far too hard to write something that will sound "deep" or artsy-- it shifts the focus from the product onto the writer. The fact is that a review is a short term piece of media that is only relevant for a specific purpose (the potential buyer), and anything that obscures that can really be a hindrance. It's okay if a review is a little poetic, but it can't be a novel.

15. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #115 backtothis, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011
    Yep.

Another reviewer, nice. Heheh, looks like TA is expanding.

16. Fruit Roll

Fruit Roll Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    game designer, game reviewer
    Here and There
    Why? I never complain.:rolleyes:

17. stevenmilligan

Mar 31, 2011
    I agree. While I may find a few of the reviews to be somewhat "overdone", 99% of them get the point across in a thorough, yet concise, manner. No one is perfect. I could care less whether TA reviews an older game every now and then because, like Hodapp said, I am "just searching for a cool game that's worth my time". There's a reason why this site is so popular and there's also a reason why it's the only place I get my reviews. Constructive criticism is great, but people need to stop being so negative.

18. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Sent my application.

19. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Totally digging that the new guys are covering all the new titles now. Awesome that each week's new releases are reviewed soon after. That's what I'm talking about. Keep up the good work.

20. Olord

Olord Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    I've got a question (if your statement that you're always looking for applicants is still valid):

Is the design of the reviews' layout (pictures, videos e.g.) part of the job or would you just have to submit the pure text? I'm confident with my writing skills, but I lack knowledge of text editing on a website like this.

Thanks