TouchArcade Game of the Week (GOTW for May 8th)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TheFrost, May 12, 2013.

?

Which game from this list is your GOTW?

Poll closed May 17, 2013.
  1. Ace Patrol

15.7%
  2. Alien Shooter

5.6%
  3. Bellyfish

7.4%
  4. Blitz Brigade

10.2%
  5. Daddy Was A Thief

7.4%
  6. End Of Aspiration

1.9%
  7. Impossible Road

9.3%
  8. Stone of Life

14.8%
  9. Tasty Tadpoles

1.9%
  10. WazHack

25.9%
  1. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    My Vote goes to Bellyfish because it's so addictive and everything about it is well done. One of the best endless games this year.

Second place goes to Impossible Road, great game but at the same time super frustrating.

Third place for Daddy Was A Thief. I expected a better game. It's ok but I haven't started it for 3 days.

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Despite its flaws - mainly being that you basically have to play like a Mage even if you're not, I had to vote for S.O.L. I've been playing it way more than anything else. It's probably the most polished KRPGs on iOS with an excellent UI and menus as well as upgrade systems. Even the dialog and quests have a nice variety not typically seen in a KRPG.

If the balance is tweaked to make it more managable to play without overreliance on staffs and spells, it could easily be the best KRPG on the system.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Was a poor week for me, Impossible Road is good but so frustrating. I've been playing Alien Shooter a fair bit so that gets my vote

4. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #44 TheFrost, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
    Ups! Any way to fix it?

Mod - Tis fixed

Edit: Thanks! :)

5. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Impossible Road gets my vote

6. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    My vote went to the same game for the same reasons - it's also adorable, and the best tilt controls I've ever played with. Hope it wins!

7. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Bellyfish is probably the best endless game this year (and there has been quite a few excellent ones already: Le Vamp, Worm Run, Banana Kong, Time Surfer, Gunslugs, Daddy Was A Thief, Impossible Road,...) and that is a huge accomplishment. All of them are great in their own way, but Bellyfish (even with Tilt) tops them all. For that reason its my GOTW. Seriously go and buy it.

Special mention to the runner up: Tasty Tadpoles, my earlier choice for GOTW, an almost perfect (GameSalad cough cough) arcade game tailored for the touchscreen.

The honorable mention goes to Impossible Road, never a game this frustrating made me come back to it so many times.

8. sink_or_swim

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Great :) if you want to you can add me on GC :)
    I don't think it will win but maybe it'll be in the top 3 and this would be a huge success for an endless game because most people don't like this genre + it's tilt based.

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    All right dammit with people like The Frost and sink_or_swim singing such high praises for Bellyfish, I've gotta check it out.

10. TopherW

TopherW Active Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Ace Patrol is my best of the week. It has issues but less than the other one I am liking which is Blitz Brigade. Plus, it deserves at least one vote.

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You uh... don't seem to have voted on the poll.

Ace Patrol for me too. SID MEIER ON IOS!

12. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah - I'd get it if it weren't for the tilt only control setup... =o/

13. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    Usually I can't handle tilt controls, but Bellyfish does it quite well. They're sensitive, but not overly so and there's a "calibrate" feature where it'll set the controls to your position. Worth a shot - or at least I thought so, and I'm glad I did. :D

14. sink_or_swim

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    I'm sure you have picked up Captain Antarctica and if you liked the tilt controls in this one you can definitely buy Bellyfish because the controls are as good as in CA. And you can calibrate whenever you want, even during the game.

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Calling it best might be pushing it, even though i am aware that you speak of your choice.

As far as best endless game this year is concerned, there's still heavy hitters to consider in addition to what you've mentioned, like Temple Run Oz, Temple Run 2 (im sure this was a january release), Indiana Stone, Robot Unicorn Attack 2, Running with Friends (yeah this is getting really popular), Slayin, and a lot more considering i've only mentioned big runner titles save the last one.

This claim from TheFrost (whose opinions i respect) though, got my interest in Bellyfish piqued, so.... Bought!

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    CA has a touch control option. ;)

17. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Oh... and as far as my vote is concerned, i love End of Aspiration and Alien Shooter, but i have to give it to Stone of Life which i sank so much time into this week.

18. sink_or_swim

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    I know, but it has perfect tilt controls and I only play it with tilt controls. It's the best control option for this type of game imo. Same with Super Mole Escape.

19. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Wazhack is a huge step up from the typical rogue-like. Its kind of a genre expander imho, lots more people could enjoy it than are.

20. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    So far
    1st - Ace Patrol
    2nd - WazHack
    3rd - Blitz Brigade ( my vote )
    What is WazHack?