TouchArcade Forums Game of the Week (June 6th)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TheFrost, Jun 6, 2013.

?

What game from this list is your GotW?

Poll closed Jun 13, 2013.
  1. 9th Dawn

24.8%
  2. Bridgy Jones

3.1%
  3. Covenant of Solitude

0.6%
  4. Cubemen 2

4.3%
  5. Gangstar Vegas

13.0%
  6. Kinetic Damage

7.5%
  7. Kingdom Rush Frontiers

19.9%
  8. Maximus

4.3%
  9. Scurvy Scallywags

21.1%
  10. Sparkle 2

1.2%
  1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm not entirely sure why we don't just use... y'know, actual weeks. That cut-off has been pretty well-established in society and puts the big iOS release night closer to the middle.

As for this week, whatever. The wrong game is going to win.

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The rule has also been to use a calendar week (Sunday-Saturday) for eligibility; some people want to change that just now. Basing eligibility of the calendar does seem logical. If pressed to decide I agree the cutoff should remain Saturday night without change.

I'm also not a big Gangstar fan.

3. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Sunday should probably be the cut-off. I always thought it was this way to allow people time to consider how to vote before the next batch of releases appear and the poll moves on.

4. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Actually I think I've just noticed what point was being made. If games released on Saturday are included and the poll is ALWAYS Sunday, then some people will barely get a few hours to download and play them before deciding if they want to nominate them.

So I can see why a Friday cut-off would make sense. That gives us a whole extra day to get to know the games and mull over nominations.

5. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #105 TheFrost, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
    Thing is the poll goes up on sundays for users to have time and vote with time and thought for as much time as the nomination process...

Games released on saturday, for example, don't have any chances of competing fair and square with game released on the established release day, wednesdays night. So my offer still stands:

New rule:
    - Saturday releases go for the next week GotW thread.

But of course democracy is required...

6. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Unless the poll can be moved to Monday (which is probably just more trouble for everyone) then I think the cut-off should be Friday night. The extra day with no new nominations makes it fairer for later entrants.

7. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #107 undeadcow, Jun 8, 2013
    Even with just a few hours to play a game that should be enough time to determine a simple nomination. Members still have until the following Wednesday to definitively vote a winner. The more I think about it the more I think the existing calendar based Sunday cutoff makes the most sense and is least confusing. So few games even fall into the Friday/Saturday release window and those developers are partly to blame for marketing lapse.

8. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    What's this talk of "new" rules? Weekend releases have always gone to the next weeks's poll.

9. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Respectfully that's inaccurate, Saturday releases have gone on that current week of release. The rule is in the original post of each GOTW thread.

10. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    I think the same.

@Undeadcow, you missed the sentence above what you quoted, where I said "my offer still stands:" and then what you did quote.

11. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    #111 Royce, Jun 8, 2013
    Please pm echoseven, that is incorrect. The cutoff is Friday night. I can pull up a bunch of precedent if you'd like, but I'm going out to eat so it will have to wait until after.

12. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    @Undeadcow, not every user lives on TouchArcade like we do :p

And to make it clearer...

Do you think the cut-off should be on friday night instead of saturday? Vote yes or no.

13. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    #113 TheFrost, Jun 8, 2013
    No need, taken from the first post:

Not you nor anyone is that important alone, this is democracy.

14. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #114 undeadcow, Jun 8, 2013
    No worries, we agree the nomination cutoff date has been confusing and there has been a precedent of people being unsure. Inconsistency or warranted special consideration could even be part of the picture.

15. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    That is not official really, that's a typo on the part of you and undeadcow. The original text said "over the next few days" and the official rule has always been a Friday night cutoff.

16. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Actually is a copy and paste from the last thread as always has been minus some changes (winners, thread links, new games), maybe got lost at some point... so then why don't we make it official right now?

17. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    It's not just playing the game I was thinking of. I was also taking into account time zones, people having to work, not being able to download games over 3G, simply being busy... it just seems fairer to give it a day.

18. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    That's what I'm saying undeadcow changed it just a couple weeks ago. The original rule from the Stone Age of gotw was Friday through Thursay, with some allowance for releases to go to the next week anyway if they weren't noticed in time. It changed to Saturday through Friday, with no such allowance, and has been that way for over a year now.

19. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Let's wait to give anyone who wants to chime in a chance.

Royce has a point the original post text may have been altered over time. I know when I've posted GOTW threads I usually make some tweaks I consider cosmetic to the format. Royce seems like the voice of reason here; the important thing is after this we'll have firmed up the nomination cutoff.

20. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    #120 TheFrost, Jun 8, 2013
    Ok then, so its back to the friday night cut-off of the good old days as before. Thanks! (Changing the first post now).

Nominations are still in place until tomorrow night, so if you haven't nominated, please do! :)