TouchArcade app iPhone 6/plus support

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by ioscody, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

If the app straight up doesn't work, then yeah, we'd need to have discussions on what to do about it. As it is, it works, it's just not great.

2. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Yeah, I think the app looks perfectly fine on my 6+. The only issue I have with it is that once I go into the forums, there doesn't seem to be any way to go back to the home menu other than force closing the app and restarting it. That's not much of a big deal, though, because I habitually keep my app switcher list empty anyway.

Whether the app ever gets updated or not, I do think the idea of a premium TA membership is a cool idea. TA is a huge part of my iOS experience and really has done a lot to maximize the enjoyment of my iDevices over the years. I would gladly pay a premium membership to support you guys.

3. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    The original app no longer working would not make an Apple rejection null. Apps don't code themselves, they take time and money to make. I don't know how the app store works, but I imagine it costs money to submit apps and updates, too.

Spending a good chunk of the budget to update and submit an app that gets rejected would be no different than just taking the money and throwing it in a fire.

4. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

What is apples problem with TA? For reviewing apps? For having links to them? I don't understand the big deal on Apple's part.

5. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    #25 RoboWarrior, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    I'm saying if it doesn't work its no different than the excuse to not update the app due to possible rejection since either way the user won't be able to use the app. In the end, the consumer/customer really doesn't care what the reason is, just that the convenience isn't there. I imagine most people here will update to a new device frequently so the latest games can be played. It seems until its an issue though (which seems to increasingly be due to the number of crashes I get) the site will not update the app or make a new one. And to answer your question it cost $99 a year to be able to submit an app (including updates) so it is a costly endeavor but one that has to taken into consideration especially if the target audience is centered around iOS gaming.

6. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Add Eli said earlier:
    I would also add that there are a number of topics that I'm sure Apple take issue with: Teaching people how to succeed at freemium games without spending any money, notifying people to download the latest emulator that snuck onto the market before it gets pulled, topics that involve jailbreaking, and recommendations of Android devices as alternatives to iDevices for gaming are just a few.

But the main thing, I think, is the fact that there are reviews and discussions about games that could lead people to pass on buying something they otherwise would have bought.

A site like TA can really have an impact on the market. If that impact might possibly impact Apple's money in a negative way, then of course they would think twice about approving an app that extends the site to their store.

7. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Don't forget about the cost to make the app. Budget is as budget does, hehe.

8. netmute

netmute Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2012
    You don't really think they are squirming because of $99, do you? :)

$99 a year is peanuts compared to the actual development cost of an app. We are talking thousands of dollars here.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

#29 Eli, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    Tens of thousands, most likely. Not really something we're excited to just roll the dice on.

Edit: Also calling this an "excuse" seems a little weird. It's not like we're trying to get out of gym class, we're trying to not jeopardize the future of TouchArcade by vastly over-extending on a very risky venture.

10. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Simple solution: outsource development to Russia, pay in Rubles ;)

11. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Tens of Thousands? Geeze. But if Apple rejects the app won't we still be able to do the internet download kind of thing with the forbidden thingy that starts with the letter E?

12. RoboWarrior

Oct 3, 2012
    I couldn't exactly think of better word, excuse doesn't exactly have a good connotation behind it.

13. RoboWarrior

Oct 3, 2012
    Interestingly, I'm not sure how many users of the touch arcade app are also forum lurkers. I've heard people just use the app as a price drop indicator and place for iOS game reviews so I don't think many would actually go beyond and try to get the app on their device if it weren't as convenient as the app store.

14. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Yeah, using enterprise distribution isn't really viable for a number of logistical reasons, probably the most important of which being that isn't really what enterprise distribution is for. Being a legit business and everything we can't really get away with doing what the GBA4iOS guys do. ;)