TouchArcade and the self promotion forum rules.

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Eli, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

With two longer brakes that took me more then six months(!) of 2015 Offline if it comes to Mobile Gaming at all I can say that today was the first time I had read this thread and I didn`t know that TouchArcade had such issues if it comes to Video Content at all.

Just a reminder so some do realize that I wasn`t even here at all when the issues grow to what it seem to be for some nowadays:

First Break:

[​IMG]

Second Break:

[​IMG]

Considering those brakes took each around three months(!) where I had completely never gone once even Online on the Website and/or the Forum I am to be honestly clueless what had happened on the forum or the hole Website in the meantime so if someone could brief me (if necessary here in the Public or through a DM) so I am up to date on what`s going on or where it went wrong while I wasn`t even around at all.

About the Video Content at all:

I always saw those Videos as a Service to those that were instead asking "Is it worth it" so they could see and not read it if that`s the case or not at all.

Since everyone of us is now more then every visuell and read sadly less and less it won`t probably shock anyone of you that I indeed started on TouchArcade with "written" Previews/Reviews where I had taken actually hours since i am not an native English speaker as many of you know to write those things down that might be good or bad about the Games that had shown up on the iTunes Store.

But things changed here from good to bad during 2010/2011 where more and more didn`t gave a damn about what I wrote about a Game but back then were waiting for a Video from TheGameTrail.

I still have a Copy of the Message I received where someone did asked me "Why I am even wasting my time with written Previews/Reviews at all when I can just upload a Video and most of the Questions can get answered through that Video in less then like half an hour of actual Gameplay".

To be honest that hit me back then very hard and I remember that I stopped doing what I had done till then on the Forum and kept anything I wrote on the Forum or the Front Page to a "One Liner" or a "Two Liner" if things turned really shitty and started to post Gameplay Videos that were even featured on the Front Page(!) because everyone loved those and enjoyed watching them .

Remeber during those times YouTube wasn`t known to host any(!) Mobile Content at all and even most Developer/Publisher never took the time to actually play their "own" Games and do a recording of their Content and post it on their YouTube Channel or any Website at all.

Things have obviously changed since then a lot. If the demand is again there to see more written Content I will provide it together with my Gameplay Videos since I am back again because many had asked me to return since things have obviously been bad on the Forum if it comes to Video Content and nobody at all has told me what so far what`s the real issue is since all I have read so far is that on the Forum less people actually write anything at all on the first Page and I remember that it wasn`t the case when I had left at all.

To make it short:
    I wasn`t here when things went out of order so let`s find a resolution together!

If I wouldn`t have been six months away(!) in 2015 I definitly would take some of blame for the current problem since I would be of course a part of it(!) but since this isn`t the case because I wasn`t around at all when things went out of what they were when I had left I strongly agree that we should find a resolution together (Or the Staff on their own it that does suit them better!).

Let`s talk about the topic openly with all cards on the table and solve it before things even turn worse then they already had since I took my break.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I've read this four times now and I have no idea what you're trying to say.

3. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    #43 NOEN, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    Personally I haven't seen any issues with the forum being "bad". The only issues the forum has had is the first page or two of every thread being filled with pretty much the exact same first hour of gameplay. I'm not being a smartass, but I don't see how adding yet another video of the exact same gameplay is going to "fix things." Honestly, I don't think anything is wrong with the forums besides that. I just think that times are changing, the market is changing, and with that, the forum is changing and some people apparently don't like change I guess. That's a different topic all together.

Bottom line is that adding more of the same videos to an already saturated thread isn't going to fix things.

4. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Sorry for wasting your time. All I meant was that I agree to whatever you or the TA Staff might come up if it comes to this topic.

5. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

If you're gonna post a video, you could at least show s special part or something that missing part of the beginning.

6. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    Or post gameplay after the first video in the thread has finished. So what i mean by this.. Person A has played it for 1hour or so. Person B then posts a gameplay after the point Person A had finished in the game...

7. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#47 Sanuku, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    But that`s exactly what I did at the beginning and then I got like a full Inbox where everyone was telling me to don`t spoil the later part of the Games since they just want to see like the first Minutes or Hour of Gameplay and then make their decision based on it and afterwards either buy the Game or not.

I did then changed what Footage I was showing of the Games and everyone was happy about it and it stayed that way till today.

Again the problem here seem to be not what Footage is being shown but actually that the among of footage that is being posted has increased to a Level that Eli does see as a problem.

I`m a Member of TA since 2009(!) and before that I was a Lurker for 1,5 years so I have been around more or less since the beginning and the Staff has always found a way where everything worked out and I am 100% sure that Eli will find this time too a resolution.

8. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Wow, that's ridiculous. I hope something is figured out too.

9. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    I believe we are going off track on what the problem is.

Going back to Eli post

"This thread is exactly what I'm talking about by the way- http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=277270"

We have two videos posted which you can argue is the near the same footage, i have seen i seen footage before now which is Identical too each other. There is simply no need for this kind of posting of what is the same thing over and over again. I suggested there be nothing wrong if Person A posted hour of game play and then Person B posted the next hour of gameplay. Yet according to Sanuku he often get emails from people telling him not to post too long videos so not to spoil the game, i do wonder if these seem people could of been developers trying to stop videos being shown of how poor the game back in the day when Free to Play was a rare thing and Paying up front was the king.

Anyway back to current subject at hand, to be frank there is very few of us that do "video" posting to the point i can honest say maybe five of us max that do it regular, granted this number maybe of been slightly higher when this posted was original started (7 regulars). A mutual agreement of if someone has already done a gameplay video of said tile in a thread then no more should be posted. Eli wanted to take this farer by wanting those of us that do post a video to at least take part in the thread, Some of us have indeed started doing this, and i'm sure once again if we come to a mutual agreement of if you going to post a video it's either going to be audio commentary or a write up of what thought of the game.

Video gameplay of mobile tiles is still a often requested on the threads with statements of "i want to see some impressions etc" banning them altogether would be bad move on the part of TA as that would drive people elsewhere not everyone comes to TA to read about clash of clans ;)