Touch Arcade Forums' iOS Original/Indie GoTY 2013 - OCEANHORN -

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by awp69, Dec 18, 2013.

?

Which is your favorite original/indie iOS game for 2013?

Poll closed Jan 16, 2014.
  1. Badland

23.8%
  2. Oceanhorn

26.2%
  3. Boson X

11.9%
  4. Mikey Hooks

4.8%
  5. Starborn Anarkist

3.2%
  6. Plasma Sky

1.6%
  7. 9th Dawn

11.1%
  8. Quadropus Rampage

5.6%
  9. Duet Game

2.4%
  10. Continue?9876543210

9.5%
  1. I feel saddened that multiple members of The Fight Club Social Group pretty much ruined two threads of very worthy Indie games. So I will use my nomination to recognize these two games since they deserve better.

Space Qube
    Groove Vortex

2. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Well here's a review of Groove Vortex by TA's very own Hoggy, who wouldn't you know it, has nothing to do with Fight Club. He calls the game "a boring, half assed clone that does nothing to improve to the Super Hexagon formula, it only makes it worse." Ouch.

I'm sure Gamezebo's staff writers would love to join Fight Club, alas, it's never gonna happen. And yet in their review they said that Groove Vortex was "an awful Super Hexagon clone" and that "it is an entirely pointless purchase, because it's a massively cut-down, excitement-ridden, barebones version of Super Hexagon." Double ouch.

I know there are people who like Groove Vortex, and that's great. To each their own, that's what opinions are for, that doesn't bother me. What bothers me is you, and your obsession with Fight Club, which needs to end. It's annoying, sad and creepy.

3. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Hopefully not too off-topic but it's been a great year for iOS games but some of the most fun I've had is with games that perhaps wouldn't be considered great but have been made better (for me) because of Game Centre and TA members. I'm thinking Amigo pancho, Squ4re, Lub v Dub, Ronin, Sketchbook Squad and even Soul Survivor which is not a great game by any stretch (the others are very good games). Nothing has made me smile more than being top of a leaderboard when I go to bed and then seeing AndyC83, Capriconrnman, Sink or Swim, Bigavelli (on Ronin especially), Saosijs (on Amogo Pancho) and latterly people like Cloudpuff, Echoen, Shelock EB and Lazer Kat on top of leaderboard setting a nice challenge for the day. Anyhow, no real point here except the games I've sometimes enjoyed the most aren't necessarily the best games but games where people from TA have really helped to make them better.
    And a great Christmas and 2014 to all.
    Slamraman

4. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #84 Andy C83, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    Well said, Slammer! Even the most simple games can be improved exponentially with a bit of friendly banter and competition. Here's hoping for more in 2014, along with more of your witticisms when making your nominations!

My favourite of the year has got to be:

Echo Prime (Echo Prime)

:p

5. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Some of those nominations take minutes to come up with. And how could I forget Attack of the Spookilings. For a week or so it was the best game ever.

6. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Well now you know that there's at least one person who appreciates them! As for Spooklings, it's definitely one of my favourite endless arcade games of the year.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #87 Exact-Psience, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
    +1 for Attack of the Spooklings!

EDIT for Awp: This is Not a nomination. Just agreed that it's a great game.

8. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Super Splatform

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Obviously not at the point of counting up nominations, but just make sure that when you do your list, you edit any previous posts to just add to it. Seeing just a game or two here and there was making me wonder if that's all their nominating? Or are these additions? Or to be added to later?

Anyway, since this will be my first attempt at doing a larger poll, I'd appreciate if we can just have one post (edited or not) by January 8th per person. And for all I know, maybe these are your only noms.

10. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Nothing wrong with Space Cube, but Groove Vortex is a clone, and clones hurt indie titles the most, and this is the Indie GOTY thread, so try to be more respectful. Vote for that on the regular thread not here. Not permitted, sorry.

11. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Perhaps our fears about indies getting overshadowed by bigger titles will be unfounded

Just posted by uc over in the main GOTY thread

12. Yes, this will be my final nominations. Thank you for taking this on.

13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    We'll see. Figured this poll wouldn't hurt. The problem also is that some people's real choice for GoTY might not make the final 10 so they could end up voting for one of the four bigger games in that list.

14. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    #94 mr_bez, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    My top 10 from the main poll. The only one that I worry doesn't qualify is Icebreaker as it was published by Rovio, by I think it deserves a pass.

Boson X
    1001 Attempts
    Joe Danger
    Hundreds
    The Silent Age
    Kid Tripp
    cyro
    Type:Rider
    Icebreaker: A Viking Voyage
    Sky Tourist

15. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Again, people can object but it's Rovio Stars so I'd consider Icebreaker to be an indie game just published by Rovio.

16. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#96 killercow, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    My indie goty for 2013: Device 6 (without the shadow of a doubt)

Other great titles that I would like to nominate:
    -Icebreaker
    -Oceanhorn
    -Joe Danger
    -Tiny Thief
    -The Room 2
    -Blockhead
    -Year Walk
    -Duet
    -Spiral Episode 1

17. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I was going to nominate Silent Age as I'm pretty sure I played it in 2013, but it came out in December 2012. I assume that disqualifies it?

Still playing Device 6 so my list may change yet. Haven't quite got far enough yet to call it.

18. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Wow it's really that old? I won't nominate it then. Well i'm sure we'll be able to vote for the second episode in 2014 ;)

19. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    OK if a clone is allowed this poll will be useless, ...

20. background

background Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Auditor
    Continue?9876543210
    Stealth Inc.
    Sorcery! 2
    Fist of Awesome
    Mikey Hooks
    Quadropus Rampage
    Nimble Quest
    Super Stickman Golf 2