Universal Touch Arcade forums' Game of the Year 2015 [Nominations 12/21-12/28]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by undeadcow, Dec 11, 2015.

?

What was your favorite game of 2015

Poll closed Jan 6, 2016.
  1. Downwell

22.9%
  2. Horizon Chase - World Tour

21.7%
  3. Implosion - Never Lose Hope

15.7%
  4. Lara Croft Go

9.6%
  5. Alto's Adventure

9.6%
  6. AirAttack 2

4.8%
  7. Dust: An Elysian Tale

4.8%
  8. Space Marshalls

10.8%
  1. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I totally agree. Still loving Zen Pinball, and really enjoying/looking forward to the Apple TV version (when the bug gets fixed that lets me play all the tables).

2. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Last year we had 148 voters, wonder how much people vote this year.

3. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Yes me too, I think Zen Pinball has been my most played game all year. I don't have an Apple TV yet, but you're right I imagine Zen would be awesome on the TV!

4. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    #84 Touchmint, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    When do we have to have our vote in? There are a few I have not played and would like to check them all before voting.

Edit: jk it says on the poll haha got it.

5. Jerutix

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    It's a little weird to swipe right and left for the flippers (no way to do both at once, which is not good for an amateur like me), but getting a huge version on the TV for no extra cost is amazing!

Also, I'm cool with only 8 options because of a three way tie.

Also also, I'm going to see if I can get Implosion to work on my phone now. Didn't a few weeks ago. I've also bought Horizon Chase, and I'm enjoying Downwell a lot. I want to make an informed decision with only one of my nominations making the list. :rolleyes:

6. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Went with Implosion as it's the one I played the most out of the games I nominated that made it.

7. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    This, but I have fond memories of playing Alto's Adventure last winter, with snow outside and on my screen...sitting in my living room and enjoying run after run. Hot chocolate!

8. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I voted Lara Croft Go. I really loved it. I can see why many people love Downwell too, it's an incredible game and I think I would love it if I were just a bit better at it, but it's just a tad too hard for me. I did like Horizon Chase and Alto's Adventure a lot too. This was such a great year for iOS gaming.

I almost didn't pick up Lara Croft Go because I wasn't a fan of Lara Croft and even though half of my favorite games this year were puzzle games I find that they're hit or miss. It's hard for a puzzle game to have a good balance of challenge and difficulty, and to keep introducing new mechanics. Lara Croft Go was perfect in that regard for me.

9. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I'm having voter's remorse. I went for Downwell, which I am thoroughly enjoying and can't deny would be a worthy winner. However, given the amount of time I spent completing the challenges on Alto's Adventure, I probably should have given it the respect it deserves, even for such a slight game.

Implosion and Lara Croft GO are sitting in my backlog, so couldn't vote for either, and the rest I have missed out on - though Space Marshals has been on my radar for ages. Waiting for the next sale...

Good shortlist, though.

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    If it makes it any better, i believe any one of the titles that made the cut deserve the win, and in the end we are the ones who are winners having access to these games while gaming on the go. :)

11. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    #91 Son of Anarchy, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    I didn't post my top 10 games of the year because I didn't think anyone would really care, and to be honest, with TA's top two picks I realised I must be completely out of touch with modern iOS gaming.

There's not many games in 2015 that I didn't buy, I mean, I bought a shocking amount of games and am lucky and grateful enough to have played through the majority of them. I could list two dozen that are worthy winners leagues ahead of my favourite websites (TA by the way) top two picks but it would be subjective and just my opinion.

It led me to the realisation that gaming is a very personal experience, very personal. Any serious gamer has had the situation where a family member has said "why do you spend so much time playing those stupid games?" And it's hard to answer said family member whilst also trying to make them understand. Non gamers will not likely ever understand the feeling we get from connecting/ beating/ winning/ living a certain game, but that's ok, because the feeling is worth all that and more.

I'm rambling a little only because I feel gaming is important, not just to me but anyone caring enough to vote in this poll. I'm also glad to see a few of my favourite games end up in the running. It has been a fantastic year for iOS games, we are seriously super lucky to have amazing stuff delivered to us on a weekly basis for a price that's a fraction of its worth.

If I had to choose one worthy winner from the list above, I would choose Space Marshals without doubt or hesitation. Amazing game, amazingly talented and generous developers, and hands down the game I played and had the most fun with throughout the year. If it wasn't in the list I probably wouldn't have written all this and still it would be my Game of the Year.

In the end it matters not who wins but how much fun you personally had playing your favourite games. I'll say it once more, as iOS gamers, we are very lucky indeed.

12. Jerutix

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I tried to explain to 3 or 4 people of the holidays why I still drop 4+ hours a day into Marvel Future Fight (mostly letting it autoplay), and I just couldn't do it. I can barely explain it to myself, other than I think it's fun.

13. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Happy new year to all voters out there, Ha ha.

14. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Oh swiping left and right does sound a little awkward for pinball, and not being able to hold both flippers at once would make certain things very difficult - during multiballs I often catch a ball on one flipper and hold it while using the other flipper to aim and shoot the other ball. (And I don't think you're an amateur at all, I can't seem to find you in my friend list anymore but as I recall you had some great scores!).

How's that backlog coming along? I still haven't made it through mine yet.

:)

15. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    +1

Great post.

Happy New Year TA!

16. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
  17. mchlmc

mchlmc Member

Oct 31, 2012
    I very nearly chose the excellent Horizon Chase but in the end I went for the equally excellent Alto's Adventure. Both deserve to be GOTY, but we can only vote for one, and Alto edged it. The fact that it is now also on Apple TV is a nice little bonus.

18. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Unbelievable, five of my noms in the poll, wow. Still no doubt for me - Dust.
    Implosion makes a very close runner up, with the rest of the pack being "far behind".
    Whatever game makes it (i played and liked them all), it's well deserved.
    And to repeat some posts:
    WE are the winners!

Good gaming y'all in 2016!

19. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Still don't understand how downwell gets on so many lists. So overhyped . No depth to the game.
    But I will say it's good to see a game like that be on so many lists. That developer probably had no clue what they were making and how explosive it would be in the mobile community .

20. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Yeah, I know what you mean, didn't even try it, it looks so ugly, like a game from 30 years ago, ouch sorry folks.

But it's all about the gameplay that's what people say.