Universal Touch Arcade forums' Game of the Year 2015 [Nominations 12/21-12/28]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by undeadcow, Dec 11, 2015.

?

What was your favorite game of 2015

Poll closed Jan 6, 2016.
  1. Downwell

22.9%
  2. Horizon Chase - World Tour

21.7%
  3. Implosion - Never Lose Hope

15.7%
  4. Lara Croft Go

9.6%
  5. Alto's Adventure

9.6%
  6. AirAttack 2

4.8%
  7. Dust: An Elysian Tale

4.8%
  8. Space Marshalls

10.8%
  1. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    #61 OrangutanKungfu, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    Am I too late?

Shame there aren't that many responses here but I guess many others, like me, are just behind. For instance, I have Implosion, DQ6, This War of Mine, Lara Croft GO, Transistor and Legend of Grimrock all sitting there on my iPhone, still waiting for me to play them (I had a bit of a GBA4iOS kick and DQ8 that took up much of this year).

So, until I get to play some of this year's highlights (I also just picked up Attack the Light - I'm a sucker for a sale), I'll nominate from the games I have played.

Hopiko - I hate it. I love it. I hate it again. A brilliant but maddening twitch platformer with a great style and absolutely perfect touch controls.
    Sorcery 3 - beautiful, engrossing and memorable for all the right reasons. Inkle don't really need any more accolades, but this was superb.
    Alto's Adventure - got this as a child-friendly game to share with my small daughter - and ended up playing through every achievement myself. So nice to play an endless runner that doesn't rely on shredding your nerves - and it's pretty too.
    Downwell - This looks likely to win the forum vote, but I don't think this is the best game of the year, or even best 8-bit-style platformer (prefer Hopiko). I truly suck at it - but I'm just starting to get into it and see the attractions. A fine game.
    Prune - it was pretty. And different. Scrapes into the shortlist for that alone. Unlike Landsliders - sorry, TA.
    Her Story - rather like Prune, its chief virtue is that it's memorably different. I'm not sure I would buy more of the same, but I certainly enjoyed it.

Now I'm sure TWOM and Legend of Grimrock will make the shortlist once I play them, as would Transistor and Lara Croft Go ... But I've only just started on MHFU (I kept iOS 8.4) so I won't get to them for a while yet!

Cheers!

2. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    I agree completely. I love seeing everyone's top 10. Glad you posted AKD! And everyone else too!! #

Onward to the vote...

3. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    A bit late to the party but here are mine:

Implosion
    Hero Emblems
    Chaos Rings 3
    Warhammer: Deathwatch
    Sproggiwood
    Badland 2
    Halo: Spartan Strike
    Lara Croft GO
    Air Attack 2
    Gunbrick

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #64 undeadcow, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    I'm double checking the nomination tally and will post the poll in a few hours to run for 7 days.

All nominations to this point have been included. Please don't make any more edits to your nominations. If there is any feedback before the poll goes live regarding the GOTY process discussion remains open until the poll posted. Votes will be public but none will be eliminated.

Likely candidates for the poll are:
    Downwell 15
    Horizon Chase 11
    Implosion - Never Lose Hope 11
    Lara Croft Go 10
    Alto's Adventure 9
    AirAttackII 7
    Dust: An Elysian Tale 7
    Space Marshals 7

5. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    #65 Jerutix, Dec 30, 2015
    I definitely think we should have 10 for the poll, since that's what we've done since 2010.

6. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Good list for the poll all are best games of the year.

7. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #67 undeadcow, Dec 30, 2015
    The only reason we would not have 10 for the poll is because there is a 3 way tie for the last two positions - initially I was thinking that just narrows it down to the 'best of the best' for poll inclusion but I suppose if people prefer a tiebreaker we could do that.

The tied for 8th place games, each with 6 nominations, seem to be:
    Badland II
    Heroes & Castles II
    The Room III

Edit: Unfortunately I don't think there's time for a tie breaker... historically with GOTW when games tie for the final places in a poll (because polls can only include 10 items) all games are excluded so that's what we will do here.

8. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The Touch Arcade forums' Game of the Year poll is now live; participants are encouraged to discuss their vote.m

9. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    #69 Sash-O, Dec 30, 2015
    Let me think...

All I can say is that I had the most fun and the biggest smile on my face playing Horizon Chase this year.:) It felt like I'm at the Arcade again, thanks for that!

Second game for me is Alto's Adventure, it's kind of the counterpart to Horizon Chase.
    I love the atmosphere of this game and Llamas of course!;)

Downwell, Dust & Space Marshals are my number threes!

Hm, one racing game & an endless runner!? Never thought of that!;)
    But I love all these great releases on iOS.

2016 here we come!!!

10. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I voted for Lara Croft Go, it was not my number one choice, but it was great nonetheless.

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I would personally prefer including all 3 (since we'll only have 1 over 10) into the poll, but i respect the decision and can understand that the goal is to look for 1 GotY and maybe a runner up or two, so 8 entries in the poll should work perfectly.

As always, thanks for spearheading this GotY UC! This forum's worth hanging out online for coz of members like you :)

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #72 Exact-Psience, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    Ditto... Was sorta disappointed to see the likes of Land Sliders and Call of Champions in TA's best of 2015 list even though i see how good those games are. Even Carter's "i would list Land Sliders 10 times" was a bit countered by his first line on Downwell with "My game of the year."

I also had the wrong understanding that TA's GotY list is based off the TA crew's best games for the year, but so far no one has Land Sliders on their favorites list, so i guess that isnt the core basis of their GotY.

In the end though, we, the iOS gamers as we would call ourselves (other elitists wouldnt even consider the term gamer if the platform focused on are mobiles :p), are happy with the games we get with the value and quality they come with, that they just keep getting better and better each year.

EDIT: Just saw Carter's favorites article, and he's titled it with "...which arent Land Sliders" which seemed inevitable considering no one mentioned it yet before this article.

EDIT2: A friend mentioned that everyone had Land Sliders on their lists, but dropped mentioning it on the articles to give way for 1 more title on their favorites list, which would make much sense. I just hoped i understood that earlier, but that did answer a lot of questions now. :)

13. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    So, out of the three of mine that made the final list, I chose Space Marshals. It's been a favorite of mine throughout the entire year, and with the content update it got, it's turned into a pretty meaty game. I love stealth based games, and SM nailed the mechanics and controls perfectly.

What a great GREAT year for mobile gaming. =oD

14. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Carter seems to have taken the brief a bit differently to the other contributors. They were supposed to be listing games NOT in the GotY article, which explains why it hasn't been mentioned thus far. The Editor's Note at the start of Nathan's article said:

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I am in between Implosion and Space Marshals myself as they are the games i spent a lot of time with and both raised the bar for iOS games for me.

Between these titans, i went with Implosion. I still cant wrap my head around how fluid the combat and combo system is, and how perfectly they are implemented with both touch and [unfortunately limited,] MFi controls.

Im really happy that the top 8 (even with the tied 3 that didnt make the cut) are fantastic titles that i agree with being on the list, and that everyone should own ALL if not a majority of the games this fantastic thread has come up with.

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah, i admittedly did miss that part, which is why i added some edits on my previous post about that.

17. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Shoot I totally missed this thread this year, I have been so busy with holiday activities for the last few weeks.

Anyways, here are my favourites from this year:

.Decluster: Into the Bullet Hell
    .Decluster Zero: Bullet Nocturne
    Dodonpachi IchimenBanchou
    Beat da Beat
    Starseed: Origin
    Geometry wars 3: dimensions Evolved
    Particle Mace
    Trigonarium
    Downwell
    Skeletomb
    Dragon Hills
    Flop Rocket
    Pac-man 256 - Endless Arcade Maze

I also think Zen Pinball released several fantastic tables this year.

18. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    damn!! none of mine made the cut. Air Attack 2 it is then. Tomorrow I'm gonna party like it's 1942.

19. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Lol, only one of mine made the list so I voted for that. It does show how many awesome games there were this year. I bought air attack 2 the day it was released and I still haven't even played it yet, I am way behind on my backlog!

20. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    Nice one.;)

Wait, now I realize there is no Card Crawl vote!???!??? What?? Hm, this game deserves to be nominated.
    There was a busy thread and a lot of content updates, this should be one of the forums favorite I think!?