Touch Arcade forums' Game of the Year 2013 - Warhammer Quest

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by undeadcow, Dec 10, 2013.

?

What was your favorite nominated release in 2013, your Game of the Year?

Poll closed Jan 15, 2014.
  1. Oceanhorn

13.5%
  2. Badland

16.1%
  3. Xcom: Enemy Unknown

15.1%
  4. Warhammer Quest

17.7%
  5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

10.9%
  6. Boson X

7.3%
  7. Asphalt 8: Airborne

5.2%
  8. Junk Jack X

4.7%
  9. Infinity Blade III

2.6%
  10. Ridiculous Fishing - A Tale of Redemption

6.8%
  1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    To be clear, I'm not suggesting people would pad their list or frivolously suggest items... I agree there were a lot of quality releases this year to be excited about.

One way to look at it might be to select your 1 game of the year, then add however many alternates you'd like up to 10-20 rather than your top 20 games altogether.
    Whatever we decide please totally post your 26 choices anyway, not all of them would be counted but I'd be curious to see the selections.

2. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Just throwing it out there. I wasn't saying you paded your list.
    I think most of us could come up with a list of 20. I know I could. I also know there would be 0 chance of me voting for 10 of them.

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #63 awp69, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    Sorry, didn't mean to sound snippy about possibly padding my list. From your earlier comment about preferring 10, I get what you mean about some people might just put in games to round out their list and those lower placed games could get into the final poll and possibly push out more deserving game.

So I am fine with 10. And whatever the number may be, one thing that should be clear to everyone is that they don't have to have the max number of nominations. There may be someone who hasn't played as many games and if there's only five games they think are deserving, I also wouldn't want them to put in games just to have 10.

Also, we should be clear to list them in order (mine aren't currently and I need to think about that more) so that if we do list more, you can cut it to the first 10 knowing that it's that person's real top 10.

4. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I vote that we have spaghetti Tuesdays every Wednesday!

Seriously though, I also agree with ten if it is even a debate anymore. We all can easily have more but it helps us narrow down those true qualitative ones (the ones that make you wince when you cut them from the list after staring at them for ten minutes), and besides, logistically it makes it easier for UC to do his or her job!

5. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I started to plan my nominations after having played Savant and WingDot and deciding they pretty much deserved a place in my top 10. Thought I'd check my folder of games I've bought but haven't played yet and found Oceanhorn, Shadowrun, Meltdown, Boson X, Type Rider, Spaceborn Anarkist, Indigo Lake and Blocky Roads amongst others which drove me to two conclusions:

Firstly, I need to play more before I can pick my favourites. Secondly. I have a problem with buying games :S

6. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Don't we all! Don't we all...

7. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #67 undeadcow, Dec 12, 2013
    Let's finalize nomination limit at 10 per person. Keep in mind that participants are encouraged to nominate their choice for game of the year, not necessarily just post their top 10 games.

Posting your 10 favorite games for the year is not a bad idea, but if you're really struggling keep the reference of suggesting just candidate(s) for the very best single release of 2013.

I added links to all the game of the week threads and outcomes in the second post, if I have time I'll try to make it prettier.

8. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #68 undeadcow, Dec 12, 2013
    Below are the current guidelines, is there any other feedback or suggestions?

After this weekend, if there's no more clarification needed, I'll just encourage people to nominate at will until January 7th with no rule changes from that point unless we get a critical issue.

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks for doing all of this and also clarifying the nomination limit. I've edited my post to 10 (subject to change).

I think for the sake of this thread we should just do our 10 nominations (or less). We could have another thread to list all of our favorite games this year for other purposes. Just think it would be better to keep it cut and dry here, even for your own sake undeadcow, when it comes to tallying the noms.

10. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Narrowed my list from 12 to 10, thanks for clarifying UC

11. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Regarding My Status

As many of you forum member may have noticed for the past couple months, my activity on this forum has diminished. I've just had so much going on in my life recently that I've barely been able to stay on top of things outside of TouchArcade.

Regarding my previous Game of the Year polls, I had been looking for another member to take over the duty for this year. I am happy that undeadcow has stepped up to the plate to keep this tradition going. When I first started the Game of the Year posts, my intention was to give forum members a chance to express their opinions on a larger scale. The amount of responses they have received has given me hope that this is something that will continue for many years to come.

So with that being said I would like to thank undeadcow. I wish you the best of luck in running this and hope you have a happy holiday season.

- Crex

Maybe you'll see me back next year....

12. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    That was beautiful (':

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #73 Exact-Psience, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
    My 10-of. With the inclusion of ports, i had to drop one from my original list to include one of my favorite games ever: SWKOTOR.

EPOCH.2
    Heroes & Castles
    Infinity Blade 3
    Boson X
    Dungelot
    Slayin
    Heroes of Loot
    Savant - Ascent
    Icycle: On Thin Ice
    Star Wars: KOTOR

EDIT: Had to drop Danmaku Unlimited 2 for IB3. The Soul Hunter update for IB3 just made it too good for me to exclude from my list.

14. Good to see you around again Crex, hopefully all is going well with you.

15. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Meltdown
    Heroes &Castles
    Air Supply Infinite
    Octagon
    Skulls of the Shogun
    Dead Effect
    Boson X
    Junk Jack X
    KingHunt
    Epoch.2

16. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #76 awp69, Dec 12, 2013
    Interesting to already see a pretty good diversity in people's lists. Not sure if there's been one app that has made everyone's list. There were a few I cut that are getting notice like Boson X, but that's a pretty niche game so as good as it is I'm not sure how it will do in the overall vote.

I think this year'a voting could be quite interesting and competitive.

BTW, I still love Boson X and consider one of my favorites of the year, but the element of chance (getting more blue platforms on one run and not the next) was something that to me was a tiny ding against it. In fact, almost every twitch game this year (Octagon, Duet, Pivvot, Beat Leap, etc.) are mainstays on my device for quick hardcore sessions. But the games I nominated still left the most impression on me. All of those twitch games would be on my list for my year's favorites though.

17. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Seems like I'm the only one who was really really impressed by Penumbear. I got Boson on my list, fantastic game

18. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Penumbear was on my original list of 20. Also a favorite. It was a really, really good year. I don't think I've seen any game that I wouldn't consider good on anyone's list.

19. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    #79 Aventador, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    This was really hard to make, I had to introduce several criterias of rating to evaluate if game was valuable enough to get into top 10 ( though still subject to changes ) :

- Little Inferno
    - CRABITRON : Giant Space Crab Simulation
    - Warhammer Quest
    - Star Wars : KOTOR
    - XCOM : Enemy Unknown
    - Small World 2
    - Sorcery! 2
    - The Inner World
    - Drive to Moscow : War in the Snow
    - Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas

I have hours of playing behind every of those game ( apart from San Andreas that just came out , but played it on PC already if that counts ).So, as already mentioned, first question / criteria was how much hours I put into game and actually enjoy playing it during that time ( grinding and waiting for timers is definetly not fun ).Second one was how much replayability game has , if it has replay value and I like it , it most definetly has reserved permanent place on my device ( game size also plays a role here, smaller and mid sized games are valued more than 2 GB ones ). And last but not least , how often does developer update game - I'm not talking about additional content here, but compatibility with iOS updates and fixing bugs ; this is actually where many potential games lost their nomination , they might be excellent , but if they don't work properly on new iOS they're of no use to me and that just shows how much developer cares about it and its community.

Other potential games that didn't get into top10 nomination list because of before stated reasons :

- Syder Arcade
    - Final Fantasy V
    - Slitherine's Legion ( actually I wanted to put it into top10 list but was hard-pressed with some ports I put much more time into )
    - Jacob Jones and The Bigfoot Mystery Episode 1 ( choosing between this and The Inner World was toughest decision; ultimately Inner World won as it is a full game with unique art and puzzles.However, Jacob Jones also has its advantages in charming graphic and Laytonesque puzzles )
    - Metal Slug X
    - Shadowrun Returns
    - Bridgy Jones
    - Kingdom Rush Frontiers
    - Layton Brothers Mystery Room
    - Anomaly 2
    - Costume Quest

Pinball Arcade also deserves a special mention with original table packs every month , alongside with 6 excellent Star Wars tables released for Zen Pinball.

20. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #80 awp69, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    Despite my earlier statement about the pretty diverse nominees so far, I'm going to make a bold prediction that one of the year's three biggest ports will ultimately win:

SW:KOTOR
    XCOM
    San Andreas

OR Asphalt 8 (a little help from Connector to point out that as a big, popular contender)

Maybe that's not such a "bold" prediction. If there's a good turnout, I just have a feeling those are the safe "big" and popular games of the year. The last three probably are bigger favorites since KOTOR was iPad only.

Remember, you heard it here first!

(...and if it starts looking like I'll be wrong, I'll quietly sneak back here and delete this post ;) ).