Touch Arcade forums' Game of the Year 2013 - Warhammer Quest

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by undeadcow, Dec 10, 2013.

?

What was your favorite nominated release in 2013, your Game of the Year?

Poll closed Jan 15, 2014.
  1. Oceanhorn

13.5%
  2. Badland

16.1%
  3. Xcom: Enemy Unknown

15.1%
  4. Warhammer Quest

17.7%
  5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

10.9%
  6. Boson X

7.3%
  7. Asphalt 8: Airborne

5.2%
  8. Junk Jack X

4.7%
  9. Infinity Blade III

2.6%
  10. Ridiculous Fishing - A Tale of Redemption

6.8%
  1. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Same here?

LOL

2. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Asphalt 8: Airborne

3. That is an awesome game, will be hard to beat that.

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #44 undeadcow, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    Hopefully it's still early enough to move the nomination deadline to earlier, I edited the original post as follows so we can get results sooner. Feedback is welcome.

If you do post a nomination and want to change it before the January 14 cut-off please just edit your original post.

5. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    It's an exercise in the arbitrary to do so. I understand your opinion, but I, like others here, don't share it for the simple fact it's an unnecessary restriction that doesn't need to be visited on any game on the platform. To make such restrictions is to basically imply that iOS gaming is not good enough to stand up to the scrutiny and litmus test of games developed on other platforms that are ported over. While there may be some design and qualitative differences, I don't believe that fact, and I would hope that none here do either. Games like Breach and Clear came stand up to games like Frozen Synapse [a port], in my opinion. And if a game from another platform comes to iOS mobile platform and performs well, runs on the hardware to the best of a developers ability, and does all it needs to do to make the transition palpable on iOS than the game deserves the recognition of its achievements. Not just because it may have received its past kudos. Not just because it may have had a bigger development budget in is initial release. It should because it makes a great translation to the platform and overcomes any perceived limitations of hardware, interface, translation or what have you.

Playing devils advocate: I don't like runners... Is it reasonable for me to ask to exclude those as well? Or better yet (since it is a hot button issue on this site) can we exclude freemium and free to play games from the running as well? Conversely, if we are to categorize the GotY to ports and IOS originals, why stop there? Why not just do like other publications and go the whole gamut of genre specific GotY awards.

I just think it would be short sighted and disingenuous and manipulative to exclude such games just to "stack the deck". At the end of the day, the poll should include all games regardless of their development origins and let the nominations, poll and the voting determine how best to vote. If folks personally feel that a port should not be include, than make that known with their nominations choices and vote, and allow others to likewise vote how they deem necessary as they see fit.

That is the fairest way to handle this.

Btw: you are an asset to this community. I don't mean to bump heads with you and nothing is meant here in spite. I just really don't feel that the poll has to be manipulated to give iOS specific made games a perceived stepping stool or crutch, because that's implying that iOS original games are "not good enough".

6. Phoenix24

Phoenix24 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 7, 2012
    Lancashire, England
    Thinking aloud I think I would have to nominate the following:
    Badland
    XCOM
    WH Quest
    Junk Jack X
    Tilt to Live 2
    I'm sure there are some glaring misses here but would be happy to see these in the short list.

Badland is (IMHO) hands down the best game I have played this year on iOS

7. wolfie9090

wolfie9090 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Here's a short list
    Oceanhorn
    XCOM
    Infinity Blade 3
    Asphalt 8
    Junk Jack X
    Tilt to Live 2
    And of course Boson X or San Andreas
    Oh Football Heroes and Combo Crew

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah, s'why i said this before:

Just that after that there was a discussion about whats and what-nots so i had to chime in what i personally preferred.

9. Sure, exclude endless runners and freemiums, but give extra bonus points to shmups and driving games.

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #50 awp69, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
    Here's a start for me. Subject to change.

Sine Mora
    Badland
    Bit.Trip Run!
    Asphalt 8
    Oceanhorn
    Icycle
    Savant-Ascent
    Warhammer: Quest
    Skulls of the Shogun
    Orborun

These aren't necessarily in order, but even though it probably won't get enough nominations to even make the vote, Sine Mora is my personal GoTY. Easily the most engrossing and beautiful shump I've ever played and one that I will continue to replay.

It's a tight call between the others, which I all love for widely different reasons.

11. Think it's only top 10 count for nominations.

12. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Guess we may need some clarification on that. This was undeadcow's response earlier. Wasn't sure if he meant the top 10 most nominated games would be considered?

Nominating as many as we want may get too unwieldy. I'll narrow it to 10 if that's the decision, though.

13. Well, the current wording is:

Starting on December 31, 2013 forum members are encouraged to nominate their top 10 games for Game of the Year polling. Nominations can include ANY game, preferably released during the year 2013.

-------

I assume this means we can only nominate 10 games. And also seems that we can nominate from outside the year too.

14. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #54 awp69, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    I guess before I start chopping away, I'll see if UC had a final call on the limit or if it was still open for debate based upon his response just yesterday wondering what others would think a good limit was. It was kind of strange when he had responded to someone's question on the limit and said you could nominate as many as you want. I wouldn't want to be in UC's shoes if we went that route trying to sort them out.

15. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #55 Bool Zero, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
    Here are my choices:
    Xcom: Enemy Unknown
    Baldur's Gate
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Warhammer Quest
    Dungeons and Dragons: Lords of Waterdeep
    Stealth Inc
    Terraria
    Starborn Anarkist
    Alien Tribe 2
    Junk Jack X
    Breach & Clear
    Empire: The Deck Building Strategy Game
    Infinity Blade III
    Frozen Synapse
    Tiny Thief
    9th Dawn
    Gangstar: Vegas
    Deus Ex: The Fall
    Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy
    Block Fortress
    Call of Duty: Strike Team
    Ravensword 2
    The Shadow Sun
    Sorcery 1 & 2
    Repulze
    Heroes and Castles
    Combo Crew

And if we are to limit it to only ten (hard for us gamers but its a reasonable request) then these would be my top 10:

1. Xcom: Enemy Unknown
    2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    3. Warhammer Quest
    4. Dungeons and Dragons: Lords of Waterdeep
    5. Terraria
    6. Breach & Clear
    7. Frozen Synapse
    8. Tiny Thief
    9. Deus Ex: The Fall
    10. Call of Duty: Strike Team

Phew, that was tough!

16. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #56 undeadcow, Dec 12, 2013
    Any thoughts or feedback on nomination limit? We could take a quick 24 hour vote then I'll finalize nomination limit, 10 or 20 nominations?

Personally, if the limit is top 10 then it forces people to chose only the creme of the crop to nominate. Consider if everyone nominates their top 20... it's possible that some reluctant 19th place additions could creep up in popularity beating out your more favored games by frequency alone rather than being the top quality (since all nominations count equally, there's no meaning to what sequence you order nominations). For example, I enjoyed Plants Vs Zombies 2, and might even put it into a top 20 but no way my opinion is it should be Game of the Year or even top 10 so those later places might be disingenuous.

I have a way of quickly tabulating whatever amount of nominations by copy/pasting into Excel then sorting my name to get a quick count.
    Half of the fun is to see what people will nominate. I think we should settle a official limit but if some user feels like posting their top 100 of the year, this thread might be a good forum for that even if only 10-20 will count as official nominations.

17. #57 Connector, Dec 12, 2013
    Edit

Got a response while I was typing. So guess it's still not determined if it is 10 or 20 yet.

I would vote for 10 because many will just nominate one or two anyway. But either way, it should be noted in the first post clearly.

18. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Seconded. 10 seems good. It gives enough choices to get a good scope, not too many that anyone should need to "pad" their lists though.

19. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

I think 10 is nice limit. Allows for diversity in the list and people don't have to go too crazy trying to narrow down their top 3 or 5 or, as undead said, filling a list of 20 just to have 20 nominees and not really think about their choices.

20. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I'm fine if everyone wants to go with 10. BUT I didn't just "pad" my list or have 20 for the sake of having 20. I actually had like 26 when I came up with my list and had to pare that down. It's hard.

Needless to say, however, I'll be more than happy to pare it down to 10 if that's the decision. My list isn't in order so I also wouldn't want anyone to just lop off the last half of it.

So when a final decision is made, I'll follow along accordingly.