Touch Arcade forums' Game of the Year 2013 - Warhammer Quest

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by undeadcow, Dec 10, 2013.

?

What was your favorite nominated release in 2013, your Game of the Year?

Poll closed Jan 15, 2014.
  1. Oceanhorn

13.5%
  2. Badland

16.1%
  3. Xcom: Enemy Unknown

15.1%
  4. Warhammer Quest

17.7%
  5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

10.9%
  6. Boson X

7.3%
  7. Asphalt 8: Airborne

5.2%
  8. Junk Jack X

4.7%
  9. Infinity Blade III

2.6%
  10. Ridiculous Fishing - A Tale of Redemption

6.8%
  1. Asphalt 8! Go racing games and shmups! Great to see ridge racer splitstream and sonic transformed out recently, some great racing games.

2. #262 Connector, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    You posted notices, but seems like your first post on the rules seems to allow new users (shills), developer votes, and developer promoting.

Now, it seems like a voluntary compliance for devs. Seems like it should be all or nothing. I don't believe a dev will be disqualified for facebook posting or tweeting about this, but it would seem this should have some clarification, though I don't really care which direction it goes.

3. Mess

Mess Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Ditto, only game I have actually played :O

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #264 undeadcow, Jan 8, 2014
    I edited the original post earlier today in a manner that removed your original citation, which was an over-exaggeration; not votes will be disqualified because I expect good sportsmanship not because I would encourage shill voting.

Last GOTY poll has problems when there were wholesale deletion of participant votes to an extent it entirely changed the outcome in an unreliable manner leaving many confused about the actual outcomes. I want to avoid disqualifying votes in part from the lessons of GOTY 2012.

GOTY voting is something that could potentially bring new users to the forum or there be participants who vote but aren't very verbal. It should be open to any individual who cares to join in.

Also, I anticipate that it would likely be difficult to actively sabotage voting. A party would have to create tons of shill accounts. iOS gaming, in my opinion, hasn't reached cult status where users not already on Touch Arcade would care enough to flood the site to vote for Xcom or Boson X.

5. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    Ugh.... KOTOR lacks 1 vote.....

6. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

The way the users here are about Boson X, it's not out of the question

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    That's the point of the poll, to gauge a popular favorite release among those interested in Touch Arcade, so it wouldn't seem like a distortion if hordes of users here flooded in to vote Boson X.

8. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    WHQ...? *scratches head*

Oh yeah I never got the expansions. It makes sense now

Can't decide between Boson x and ridiculous fishing. Leaning towards boson x because ridiculous fishing had enough attention

9. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Of all the Games I bought last year, WHQ was the only one that I played consistently throughout the year.

10. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Badland for me. My GOTY. Oceanhorn and Boson X come close by, but Badland is the shiny example of why I love iOS games. And its a runner.

11. vicsark

vicsark Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    #271 vicsark, Jan 8, 2014
    Same here!
    Good list, it looks like I still got a few more games to buy :)

So, Asphalt 8 is the only freemium game to make the top10 list, interesting.
    And half the games never even had a sale (Oceanhorn, WQ, Junk Jack X, GTA SA, Ridiculous fishing)

12. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Technically, Asphalt 8 wasn't freemium when it came out. But even with it now being "free", it's easily one of the most generous F2P games on the store.
    I did go ahead and buy one IAP that I didn't really even need to but have probably spent 30-40 hours at least in the game so even with my measly $2.99 expenditure, it was one of the best values I've had on iOS.

13. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    My GOTY is Heroes and Castles. But it didn't make the cut so it came down to either XCOM or WHQ. Loved em both but decided to go with WHQ based on the fact that I put more time into it than XCOM. Good luck to all the games that made the cut.

14. Wow, Warhammer is way in the lead.

15. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I can't believe heroes and castles didn't make it. I hate ports

16. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #276 syntheticvoid, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    Warhammer Quest gets my vote. It's the only one from my top 10 that made it. =oP

^^and yeah, I left ports off my list because they've already had their awards and everything the years they were originally released. I don't have anything against people who nominated and have/will vote for ports, I have numerous ports on my phone right now and love every one of them, so I can see how they've made it onto the final vote list. Just my own personal reasoning for leaving them off my list here.

Any one of these games would totally deserve to win and I'm excited to see what game does. Thank you to both UDC & AWP for doing these polls. I know it's got to be loads of work and maybe overwhelming, but everything you're doing is very appreciated.

17. Shadowking2214

Shadowking2214 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    None
    A vote for GTA SA for me,still as fun as I remember it and still incredibly fun

18. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Wow what a list! Thanks for all the work undeadcow! That's massive. Badland got my vote, since it's the only one of the 10 that made it that I actually played and loved. Looks like I should check out Boson X though. I think I'm kind of over those games, but if people are this enthusiastic about it, it deserves a second look.
    I love that there are 199 unique games in the final list. 199 games that at least one person think are good enough to be in their top 10 games of the year. That's a lot of high quality games.

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Arrrgh a lot of favourites, i love San Andreas but i feel i shouldnt vote for a port for game of the year.

Oceanhorn i think was an exceptional game but Badland gets my vote. Its strange as i dont normally like games like this but the graphics/imagery was just brilliant, a ton of content and an exceptional game.

20. AlexsIpad

AlexsIpad Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    The lists not great, I definitely think at least one of simogos games should have made it. (Device 6/year walk)