Touch Arcade forums' Game of the Week poll (September 12)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by undeadcow, Sep 12, 2013.

?

What was your favorite release the week of September 12?

Poll closed Sep 19, 2013.
  1. Heroes of Loot

26.7%
  2. Beach Games

14.0%
  3. Dead Effect

18.6%
  4. Strata

11.6%
  5. I Am Level

12.8%
  6. Where's My Water? 2

2.3%
  7. Infectonator: Hot Chase

2.3%
  8. Joust Legend

9.3%
  9. Retro Runners

2.3%
  1. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Heroes of Loot

2. Shiatama_0

Shiatama_0 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Where's my water 2

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I Am Level will be included in this week's poll. I'm adding it to the original post. Appshopper shows a release date of 9/14/13 (Saturday) but someone commented it was avaliable on Friday (09/13/13) and enough people nominated it for it to make the poll (so community consensus is to include).

I zoned out on kid duty last weekend so didn't do a lot of posting or see the uncertainty before nwo.

4. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Here's a tally of the nominations this week.

Heroes of Loot…………………..14 nominations
    Beach Games……………………. 12
    Dead Effect………………………..8
    Strata……………………………….…8
    I Am Level…………………………..7
    Where’s My Water?.............4
    Infectonator Hot Chase………3
    Joust Legend………………………3
    Retro Runners…………………….3
    ----------------------Top 9----------------------
    Barn Yarn……………….………..1
    Chipotle…………………………….1
    Mana Defense…………………..1
    Patapon…………………………….1
    Prohibition 1930………………..1

5. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The poll is now live. Users are encouraged to discuss their vote.

6. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Retro Runners: Weared thin after some playthroughs.
    Heroes of Loot: Its good but I like my endless with a bit more variety.
    Jousting Legend: A lot of fun.

So Jousting Legend gets my vote.

My vote could have been Brave Bit if I had discovered it earlier...

7. Tuxedosteve

Tuxedosteve Active Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I voted for I am Level. It's a great game, it's obviously been crafted with love and care. The spectrum look and feel is refreshing and it's a very interesting take on the Jet Set Willy style of game.

I hope the developer goes on to make more of this quality.

8. tzuptzop

tzuptzop Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2013
    since Brave Bit didnt get nominated... I give my vote to I Am Level -nice retro style and good memories came while play it 'till i falled asleep

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Was in between Heroes of Loot and Dead Effect for my GotW vote, and in the end i had to choose Dead Effect as I enjoyed it the most out of last week's haul. You cant go wrong with either of these 2.

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Man, tough call, I Am Level is fantastic and a nice twist on the platformer genre. But I did probably spend the most time with Dead Effect.

Heroes of Loot is fun and definately would be my third choice, but I think I had too high expectations for it so it was a bit of a letdown.

So do I go for a well polished and enjoyable shooter, even if it's not all that original? Or go for a game that is a homage to retro games yet manages to be original in it's own right?

Have to think about it a bit more.

11. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Voted for Infectonator: Hot Chase. It's the first runner in quite a while that I actually found a lot of fun. The IAP is completely unnecessary as the game is very generous with the coins.

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I went with Dead Effect, coz even if the formula has already been done before, it was released in the perfect time where there is nothing like it for quite some time, and i was craving for something exactly like it.

I had the same thoughts for Heroes of Loot, where i had higher expectations than what i got, but at least it still left me satisfied after spending a couple hours with it. It's going to stay quite long on my ipad.

I Am Level is good, but it didnt really capture me much to be my GotW.

13. While there are some decent games this week, nothing really stands out for me. This will be tough to pick. Guess I will have to think about it.

14. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Feels like its been a while since I last vote..

Beach Games is the perfect arcade fun for me without any of the extra fluff. Something light hearted and just downright fun for me. The game feels like a compilation of different minigames in one.

15. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Ended up voting for Dead Effect because at the end of the day I spent the most time with it and even though it may not be all that different from other shooters, it gets it right where many others haven't.

I Am Level would get my award for "most original" GoTW :D

16. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    My vote went to Beach Games, it's been a while since I have had this much fun with essentially a mini game collection, probably not since Wario Ware and Beach Games also really reminds me of California Games.

17. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Voted for Strata

148Apps got it wrong, getting a Perfect rating is not trial and error. That's what I love about Strata. You can study the "board" and envision how the ribbons will interact and like a crossword puzzle, once you place the first one, it all falls into place with some thought and analysis. It really makes you feel smart. I've been getting Perfect rating one after the other, on my first try.

This is one of the rare puzzle games IMO where you can think about each puzzle and get it right every time. And that's why Strata earned my vote.

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I agree... Trial and error can help get you Perfects because of how the game is desigend, but for me it's all about thinking ahead, like 5 moves ahead through a chess puzzle.

19. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Exactly. Every puzzle, I'm thinking steps ahead before deciding the first ribbon to place. I haven't felt so satisfied with an IOS puzzle game since Trainyard. In fact, I'd say this is better than Trainyard, since that game was so trial-and-error focused (IMO at least) compared to Strata's thinking 5 steps ahead approach

20. Since I got no favorite this week like Asphalt 8 or Call of Duty strike team, I will go with the underdog this week

I am Level

Try it all, it is pretty fun.