Touch Arcade forums' Game of the Week (November 14)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by undeadcow, Nov 14, 2013.

?

What was your favorite release the week of November 14?

Poll closed Nov 21, 2013.
  1. Oceanhorn

39.4%
  2. Tilt to Live 2: Redonkulous

9.8%
  3. Epoch 2

15.2%
  4. Neon Shadow

6.1%
  5. Stealth Inc.

7.6%
  6. Don't Shoot Yourself!

4.5%
  7. King's League: Odyssey

4.5%
  8. Joe Dever's Lone Wolf

10.6%
  9. WingDot

2.3%
  1. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #41 Bool Zero, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    I don't know about the rest of you but I bought way too many games this week and unfortunatetely, or rather fortunately, all of them turned out to be varying degrees of awesome! So it's going to be hard for me to narrow down my choice to just fives games when I bought, downloaded, played and enjoyed more than twice that many games this week!

Let's see, let's see...

Neon Shadow
    Stealth Incorporated
    Oceanhorn
    Steller Wars
    Joe Dever's Lone Wolf

Hunter Island, Kings' League and Epoch 2 deserve to be on this list too, but alas, we are limited to only five choices!

2. krisko6

krisko6 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    College Student, Intern at an engineering company.
    Bakersfield, CA
    Oceanhorn
    Stellar Wars

I've only played these two so far, but this just might be the best iOS release week ever.

3. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    Winner Epoch 2

Runner Up Oceanhorn

Honorable Mention(s) Tilt to Live 2, Neon Shadow, Chicken Boy

4. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I really can't comment on how good most of the games I downloaded this week are. Stealth Inc is taking all my gaming time. I'm way too impressed with it. It just might end up being my game of the year.

5. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

IMO, a PC port should be disqualified or at least given less weight as an IOS GOTY nominee. I feel like they earned their accolades and praise on PC and then when GOTY time comes, they can easily overshadow the quality IOS exclusive games.

But that's just my opinion

6. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    #46 biokid, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    Disqualified? Seriously? It wold be very difficult from Stealth Inc to win awards on PC, since there are so many quality games and the competition for these awards are furious. The votes from hardcore gamers tend to sway away from games like this one. So IMO, it is totally fair for Stealth Inc to be fully consider for GOTY on IOS. If you wanted to give less weight to non exclusive games, many great games will end with a slight disadvantage. In nominating for GOTY for console, people don't disqualified or give less weight to non-exclusive games, since there are so many of them. Stealth Inc looks like a game that is made for IOS rather than an average PC port anyway. Let this game shine :)

7. Nobunaga

Jun 2, 2012
    Funny, the same conversation came up here around this time last year. Bastion, however, won the forum vote for GOTY. A port. The fact is, I personally weigh games based on their merits and the enjoyment I get out of them. I don't really care if they are ports or not. I think most of the best games this year are ports again. Limbo, Xcom, Stealth inc, Shadowrun, etc. if we need to handicap voting to favour iOS developers, I feel that does a disservice to everyone involved. The most to the people who would be reading this, next to the developers of ports, also to iOS exclusive developers. To say to them "your game is not the best, but...", seems kind of akin to saying, it's good for an iPhone game.

By your logic ports should never be game of the week either? Again, that poses the same problems. If it is the "best" or your favourite offering of the week/year, you should vote for it.

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    It's a tough call with ports. If there's two games I really like and have a tough time deciding between in both GoTW and GoTY, I personally like to reward games developed for iOS. But I wouldn't disqualify a game just for being a port. You have to remember that even a lot of indie games on iOS started out as browser based games on things like Kongregate.

I know for sure that there will be some ports in my GoTY noms.

9. Bronxsta

Okay, maybe disqualified was a harsh word to use. But I do think it's kind of unfair when you have the likes of...let's say Limbo or Bastion, going up against games that were developed for IOS. And Stealth Bastard is a pretty acclaimed PC game too

10. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    Just a quick question: Have you played Stealth Inc on PC and/or IOS yet?

11. Nobunaga

Jun 2, 2012
    It's not unfair. Unfair is handicapping a game because of its origins. In my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I understand where you're coming from. I just disagree.
    To use another example, someone said it was unfair for a TA reviewer to compare Collin McRae Rally on iPhone to it's console counterpart. I found it a very fair comparison. The old excuse of "it's a phone game" no longer holds any weight.
    There are some amazing games that have their start on the AppStore and they deserve to be held in equal competition against all other games on the platform.
    I'll stop with this discussion here. I don't want to derail the thread further. If anyone feels inclined to start another to discuss the issue...
    Anyway, Stealth inc = No. 1 release this week.

12. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If we consider iOS to be a reasonable gaming platform it seems arbitrary to me to exclude, or denigrate, multi-platform games. To me, PC ports are just another indication iOS is seen as a viable gaming platform by the industry so I'm confused by gamer's attempts to remain device exclusive. Fun games are fun games.

Nominations:
    Civil War II: 1863
    King's League: Odyssey
    Lone Wolf
    Neon Shadow
    King of Fighters '97

13. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Here are the nomination outcomes, with the top 9 making the poll due to a tie for 10th place:

Oceanhorn 19
    Tilt to Live 16
    Epoch 15
    Neon Shadow 11
    Stealth Inc 11
    Don’t Shoot Yourself! 9
    King’s League: Odyssey 8
    Lone Wolf 6
    WingDot 6
    -----------------Top 9-----------------
    Hunter Island 4
    Stellar Wars 4
    Deemo 3
    Super Lemonade Factory Two 3
    Air Supply Infinite 2
    Chicken Boy 2
    Civil War 2
    King of Fighters ’97 2
    FM 2014 2
    Solar Flux Pocket
    GT Racing
    Mech Mice
    Pon’s Revenge
    Frog Top
    Sunday Lawn Sessions

Requiring 6+ nominations to make the poll has been the steepest cut-off in some time.

14. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    This has been one of the most fantastic weeks in iOS gaming this year. Having played 8 of them 10 nominees, almost all of them could be a GoTW. But I have to give it to Oceanhorn. No matter if you call it a Zelda clone or not (and it clearly doesn't hide it's inspiration), it's a great, extremely polished adventure and an iOS classic IMO.

15. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Oceanhorn has my vote.

16. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    EPOCH.2 for me. EPOCH.1 was my most favorite iOS game ever, and now EPOCH.2 topped that.

This week is crazy good. The best games this week are premiums too. Cheers for iOS gaming!

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    No brainer. Oceanhorn all the way

18. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Great week. I have to give my vote to the game I spent the most time with and that's WingDot.

Tilt To Live 2 and King's League are also 2 great games.
    Don't Shoot Yourself could be great but I don't like the controls so I'm waiting for the update.

19. Bronxsta

Trying to decide between Wingdot and Don't Shoot Yourself!

As with S&S, I'm waiting for the DSY update before playing more, but what I did play was inventive and so much fun
    But Wingdot is addictive and challenging and really freaking hard. And I love those kinds of out-of-nowhere surprises

20. Chris Brady

Chris Brady Active Member

As much as I want to vote for Lone Wolf, the fact is, I cannot play it. The difficulty is too hard. And although Oceanhorn has some severe control and story pacing issues, of the two games I've bought this week (I got lucky with my finances), I have to give to Oceanhorn because I can play it.