Touch Arcade forums' Game of the Week (August 29)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by undeadcow, Aug 30, 2013.

?

What was your favorite release from the week August 29?

Poll closed Sep 6, 2013.
  1. Junk Jack X

40.2%
  2. Terraria

28.0%
  3. Joining Hands 2

3.7%
  4. 868-HACK

15.9%
  5. BlastTrax

7.5%
  6. Link the Slug

2.8%
  7. Soul Grinder

0.9%
  8. Max Steel

0.9%
  1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #41 undeadcow, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    Touch Arcade forums’ Game of the Week
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The GOTW poll is now live; users are encouraged to discuss their votes.

2. My vote goes to Blasttrax, it is an awesome buck premium app, has a great old school vector like flavor, and it is kinda unique, kinda a shmup, kinda a dual stick, kind of a maze game. Highly recommended!

3. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I voted for blasttrax as I like the retro style and its a quick pick up n play game for 69p, bargain.

4. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I'm having trouble deciding who to vote for(Terraria or JJX), so I might not vote this week.:D

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I prefer PC Terraria to iOS Junk Jack X, but as good as the Terraria port is, it's not perfect. Smaller worlds, difficulty nerfs, less content and no multiplayer give JJX the edge.

Even if they were perfectly matched, I'd hand this one to JJX because the developers deserve recognition and Terraria already has that in spades.

6. dogxsx

dogxsx Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Sorry, I voted by impulse but I forgot that obviously is forbidden for developers themselves, could a mod remove the vote? Thanks :)

7. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Are you trying to sway me or just everyone in general.:)

8. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Thank you for posting this; there is no way to remove votes after tha fact (that I know of) but it will be "manually" discounted in the final tally.

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You'll do ;)

I was just clarifying my position. I've kinda been sticking up for Terraria in the JJX thread and sticking up for JJX in the Terraria thread, so a few people might think I'm either crazy or don't know what I'm talking about. They're both great games, Terraria just shines more on PC.

10. andrewdoull

andrewdoull Active Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Terraria on PC was my GotY 2011. Junk Jack X sounds like a great, if not superior, mobile entry in the same genre. But... nothing else has been released on iOS this year which is as deep and brilliant as 868-HACK, which is what I voted for.

11. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Too true. Game of the week? Game of the year ;)

12. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #52 awp69, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    OK. I have no interest in the crafting games, but with four voters whose opinions I respect voting for Blasttrax looks like I'm off to the App Store to buy it.

EDIT: And it's pretty dang cool. So my vote goes to Blasttrax!

13. lavenders2

lavenders2 Active Member

Feb 14, 2013
    An interesting week, with the crafting games duking it out.
    I wont comment on which game is better, since I havent played Terraria on iOS (did play it on PC).
    In the end, my vote has gone to 868-HACK. It is easy to pick up to play, but very deep and difficult to master. It can be played for long periods of time, and it can be played in short bursts. Its minimalist design creates a tight feel in which game mechanics complement each other and no mechanic feels tacked on.
    I cant see myself playing JJX or Terraria in the future. I can see myself playing a little bit of 868-HACK in the future

14. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Vote for Terraria

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep i dont like crafting games at all. Hadnt bought a game all week until i suddenly bought Blasttrax, really nice retro style game and hope the dev does more similar ones.

16. itsehsan

itsehsan Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2013
    Marketer
    I like Terraria more than Junk Jack X.

17. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Terraria got my vote... But both it and Junk Jack X deserve a spot on your device if you are a fan of the sub-genre!

18. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Go JJX. Terraria is a blast too.

19. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Yeah exactly. I bought Terraria, but I can't put down 868-HACK. Terraria got about an hour of fun (which doesn't get you anywhere in that short amount of time). 868-HACK has had at least 5-6 hours worth of play in, and I am still learning.

20. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Terraria for me.

I'm not a fan of crafting games at all in the limited time I put into trying a few of the free ones on the iOS. But I keep reading about Terraria and was interested.

For now, I've kept crafting to a minimum and just explore random areas which keeps it fun for me. I play this right before bed cause its relaxing to just randomly dig and explore. But then I'll explore too long, find new things to excite me, and before I know it, its way past when I normally sleep. Boy have I been tired the past few days. =P Somehow, at least for now, the game has clicked and I've been having a lot of fun with this. I'm actually thinking about picking up Junk Jack X over the Christmas break (giving me some time to explore Terraria first).

I'm looking forward to picking up 868-HACK in the near future (don't want to be addicted to 2 games at once..and waiting for my obsession with Terraria to die down first). The PC version was fun, despite being confusing when I tried it a little over the weekend. I'm not exactly sure of how to use the programs in the PC version (for instance, I couldn't tell how to use "push"). Otherwise, it was pretty addicting too.